X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've not seen a traumatic advert

Iceland.

But then nobody has.

But thanks to the magic of the internet now everyone has, and knows that Iceland have announced they're stopping using / phasing out the use of palm oil in a cynical attempt to boost sales among the tofu-weaving community*

(* subs - can you check this please? I think it could read better tbh.)

The only way of stopping people cutting down rainforests to grow stuff is to pay them to preserve the forest, not change our minds about what we want them to grow. Stop palm oil production, fine. They'll grow coffee. There seems to be an insatiable and ever growing demand for that at the moment and anyone smugly sipping their "Costa Rican blend from an ecologically sustainable plantation" who doesn't a) realise that's marketing bollocks and b) twenty years ago that "sustainable plantation" was pristine rainforest needs to sit down and have a think.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
      But thanks to the magic of the internet now everyone has, and knows that Iceland have announced they're stopping using / phasing out the use of palm oil in a cynical attempt to boost sales among the tofu-weaving community
      Not sure I quite follow. Using palm oil as a cheap alternative is hugely damaging to rainforests and the wildlife dependent upon them - I don't think supporting the controlling of it is some kind of 'trendy' thing.

Comment

What he is saying is that the rain forests will still be chopped down, and another commercial cash crop will be grown in its place.

Comment

Yes, that's what Rogin is saying - and he's almost certainly correct. My issue was with any 'concern' at such pillaging being reduced to some kind of trendy stance.

Comment

Which is what I was saying.

It provokes the cynic in me - are Iceland doing this out of genuine altruism, or is it a marketing idea to boost footfall and sales?

Comment

I don't know much about Iceland, tbf - but they've never struck me as especially cynical. Could be wrong, however.

Comment

It may be cynical marketing and it may be simply attacking one target rather than the system itself, but I think the amount of attention this ad is getting today is primarily beneficial to the awareness of the issue, which can only be a good thing.

(BTW, at the end the ad promises that iceland is banning palm oil form all its own brand stuff, but doesn't mention whether they'll be selling other brands containing palm oil. That seems a massive cop out)

Comment

It 'll all be over before Christmas

Iceland’sChristmas campaign has been banned from TV because it has been deemed to breachpolitical advertising rules.”

Comment

The John Lewis has his own advert, thanks to Twitter.

https://twitter.com/johnlewis/status/1064505239770931202

Comment

Working...
                    X