Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People playing the wrong instruments in videos

1. Jason Donovan – Too Many Broken Hearts
    Despite the 100% synth backing track, Jase walks around playing an unplugged Gibson semi-acoustic

2. Queen – You're My Best Friend
    Where John Deacon sits astride the mythical white Wurlitzer electric grand piano.

Any more examples of this?

Bob Geldof on candlestick.

Comment

At least Jason is attempting to look like he can actually play the thing.

My pet peev is folk that mime strumming their guitar yet hold the neck rigid they're gripping an electric fence.

Comment

John Peel "playing " mandolin on Maggie May,BBC4 seem to shoehorn that clip in nearly every Friday night.
        I seem to remember Ranking Roger doing the death grip on a guitar for "can't get used to using you" on TOTP.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
          At least Jason is attempting to look like he can actually play the thing.

My pet peev is folk that mime strumming their guitar yet hold the neck rigid they're gripping an electric fence.
          See: Madonna

Comment

Graham Bond plays a Vox Continental in Gonks Go Beat, except the sound is clearly a Hammond.

Comment

IIRC Sting plays upright bass on Every Breath You Take

Comment

There was an Oasis performance on Top of the Pops. Noel was singing so there was nothing for Liam to do. They stuck him on a piano stool behind a grand piano. There's no piano on that track.

Comment

Similarly Dave Gahan wielding a trumpet on TOTP during 'I Just Can't get Enough'.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                    There was an Oasis performance on Top of the Pops. Noel was singing so there was nothing for Liam to do. They stuck him on a piano stool behind a grand piano. There's no piano on that track.
                    I think you're referring to Don't Look Back in Anger. There is some piano in it (the Imagine-esque intro at least), but it certainly didn't come from Liam. On Wikipedia, the piano part is credited to Bonehead and Liam's contribution is listed as 'tambourine'.

Comment

A couple of Frankie Goes To Hollywood swapped instruments for a TOTP appearance.

Comment

Squeeze ditto (Tilbrook and Difford on piano and drums while the rhythm section sang and Jools strummed an upright bass)

Comment

Working...
                        X