No announcement yet.

The first films you ever saw in the cinema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, finally found it after 35 years... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0bD7DgfeC0

Comment

"Samson and Delilah" (1949) At the Grove cinema, the Meadows, Nottingham. My mum, a movie fan, took me. I was about five. The Grove was a real flea pit. Third, fourth or fifth run films but it was local and I got my love of films from there. Saw "Hell Drivers" there, "Weekend With Lulu", loads of "Carry On...'s many, many others.

Seen "Samson and Delilah" since. It's awful. Hilarious. Victor Mature's boobs are bigger than Hedy Lamarr's.
      Last edited by adams house cat; 13-11-2018, 20:10.

Comment

As far as I know, the Carry On films have never really made it to the US. You'd think that after Monty Python were a success here, after all of them said it would never go over in America, and lots of other British stuff has succeeded on PBS or cable that there'd have been an effort to try to throw every bit of British comedy imaginable at us, including this successful film franchise. It seems like the sort of thing that students would have been into during the peak VHS era.

I wonder why that is.

*Amazon has some of them on DVD and a few on Prime, but then of course they do.

Comment

I can’t imagine Carry On working in the States at all. Though youse did take to Benny Hill...

Comment

They were shown to coastal elites on commercial television in the 60s and 70s, but never really got an audience. Though they did create an impression that you lot may be even more screwed up about sex than "we" are.

The Ealing comedies did rather better, largely because Alec Guinness was a genuine star here. The Lavender Hill Mob was a staple of public television "pledge drives" (pleas for contributions) in New York for decades.

Comment

The first film I can remember seeing at the cinema was the 1967 version of Dr Dolittle. Which means that they must have been giving it a re-release, in the world of Leeds suburban cinema anyway, because it would have been in '72 or '73 that I saw it at the pictures (as we invariably called the cinema).

But I think that kind of thing happened a fair bit. For example, I can remember seeing the name of Dr Zhivago prominently displayed outside the Lounge Cinema in Headingley as the current week's offering at some point in the early 70s, and according to imdb, that film dates from 1965.

And, blimey, yet another film that was some years old already - I have a vivid memory of being taken by my older siblings to see Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (and being devastated by the ending) - again, that would have been in the early 70s, but the film came out in 1969. We really were behind the times in suburban Leeds.

Comment

We were all behind the times, I think. There was still a "wait 5 years" rule for movies being shown on TV, so it wan't uncommon to see films in the cinema even years after their release.

Comment

I think Disney did that till the late 80s anyway. I saw the Jungle Book on one of its rare big screen excursions.

Comment

Yep. Sound of Music premiered on BBC1, Christmas 1978. I saw it in the cinema sometime in the early 70s.

Comment

Disney still gives the "classics" cinematic releases in the US.

The 1967 Jungle Book, for example, had a limited run on its fortieth anniversary in 2007.

Comment

Same with their VHS/DVD releases, accompanied with the line "For a limited time, and then it goes back in the vault." Nice motivation not to disappoint your kids or you're screwed til the next generation.

Comment

Really good animated kids stuff is timeless. Small kids especially don’t seem to mind that it’s not Pixar/CG.

Comment

I am sure we, for the most part, remember the big holiday movie premiere on TV.

Comment

According to my parents, they took me to a re-run of Paint Your Wagon when I was an infant and I slept through most of it (it was, and is, one my folks' favourite films).

The first film I actually remember seeing in a cinema was Return of the Jedi a few years later. That's not so high on the list of my parents' faves.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                Yep. Sound of Music premiered on BBC1, Christmas 1978. I saw it in the cinema sometime in the early 70s.
                                "The Sound Of Music"may be the scariest film ever made. Julie Andrews in a dirndl and a possee of carbolically scrubbed kids coming over a mountain. No wonder the Nazis lost.

Comment

Working...
                                X