No announcement yet.

The first films you ever saw in the cinema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We used to get taken to drive-in movies with my parents fairly often to see Smokey and The Bandit-type movies, but we were usually asleep before the end of the opening credits. I can also remember seeing The Bad News Bears in the theatre, which my dad was led to believe was a straight-up baseball movie...not a pile of semi-racist / inappropriate jokes masquerading as a baseball movie. And we saw a remounting of that Seven Voyages of Sinbad movie with the stop-motion skeleton sword fight, which scared the shit out of me then and sort of haunts me still.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
      Pretty sure it was "snow white and the seven dwarves " I remember it being a big adventure to go to the pictures. As I previously mentioned on a different thread having to be removed from the cinema during "chitty chitty bang bang " due to a less than favourable response to the arrival of the child catcher and a woman telling my sister to "shut that child up he's laughing too loud " during "the love bug" were other early experiences.
      Snow White was mine as well, in Dumbarton on its umpteenth revival probably around 1988.

Comment

Some wild-life documentary filmed by that German(?) couple in Dublin, so any time upto 1961...

Comment

My second visit to the pictures was to see "Jaws", either in 1975 or 1976. My parents had just had a row and my mother, probably to piss my father off, decided she should pay for her children to see Robert Shaw being bitten in half. God knows why the cinema people let her in with two primary-school kids.

The third film I saw at the flicks was the first Remake of King Kong, on Boxing Day 1976.

Comment

I can’t imagine seeing that stop motion skeleton scene from Sinbad on a big screen as a kid.

It was bad enough on a small black and white television.

Comment

Ring of Bright Water at Leicester Cameo on High Street in 1969. I cried and had a bright torch shine at me for making a noise.

Comment

The first one I can specifically remember was Star Wars (Garden Theater, Allen St, State College - it's now a Citizens Bank branch, right across the street from another bank) but I know that wasn't the first one I ever saw. I feel like maybe Disney's Cinderella may have been the first. I remember seeing that in the theater or remember remember seeing that in the theater. That was released in 1950, but in those days (the 70s) Disney would sometimes re-release their classics in theaters because there was no VHS market yet.

They (I think it was NBC) sometimes showed those on the Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday night, but usually not. I recall always hoping every Sunday that they'd show an animated film, but usually it was a western with a lot of earth tones or a nature documentary or something with Dean Jones, all of which I found boring at that age. But the animated films were like pure magic, if for no other reason than the animation was 1000x better than what we were seeing on most contemporary Saturday Morning Cartoons like SuperFriends, Scooby Doo, etc.
                Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 06-11-2018, 17:41.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                  My second visit to the pictures was to see "Jaws", either in 1975 or 1976. My parents had just had a row and my mother, probably to piss my father off, decided she should pay for her children to see Robert Shaw being bitten in half. God knows why the cinema people let her in with two primary-school kids.
                  The nature-nurture debate intensifies

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                    Some wild-life documentary filmed by that German(?) couple in Dublin, so any time upto 1961...
                    Armand and Michaela Denis? If so he was Belgian and she English.

Comment

That's the ones. No wonder I couldn't find them when I was searching earlier...

Comment

I've mentioned before that my sister used to work in the Hillhead Salon (Glasgow), and babysat me, so I saw Cabaret and Jesus Christ Superstar on their release, there. So I would have been about 7?

But the first cinema visits I remember involved Saturday mornings at Anniesland Odeon (Glasgow) c1970 to see a package thing with a serial (Flash Gordon, I think), some cartoons, and I think Laurel and Hardy.

The first thing I ever paid to see was The Empire Strikes Back which I watched 3 times in a row.

Comment

Guess we have more “young” posters than I realised.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                            I'm pretty sure Jaws was released under the old A certificate (now PG). I don't know what they were thinking.

Comment

Come to think of it, I saw King Kong at the cinema as well. I've spent years thinking Star Wars was the first film I ever saw.

Comment

Pete’s Dragon is maybe the first one I remember.

Comment

But apparently that came out in 77 so that can’t be right. Unless it was shown in U.K. cinemas 78/79 I couldn’t possibly remember it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                    I had the book of that from the school book club. Don't think I saw the film until some years later, when time had not been kind to its live action/cartoon production.

Edit: the book thing would make '78/79 more likely, LS.

Comment

"The Tales of Beatrix Potter" at the Regal in Dovercourt, about 1972, aged five.

My mum took me and my two sisters - she didn't realise it was a ballet. Probably my earliest emotional memory is crying because I was so bored and so disappointed

The next one I clearly remember is Monty Python and the Holy Grail, on holiday in Scotland (possibly Balmoral). It wasn't even a proper cinema, just a room above a library. I was only 8 so not sure how much I understood but I loved it

Comment

Originally posted by colchestersid View Post
                                        My mum took me and my two sisters - she didn't realise it was a ballet. Probably my earliest emotional memory is crying because I was so bored and so disappointed
                                        I'm laughing with you, colchestersid, just to be clear.

Comment

I just had to check the release dates of both films in the UK, but the first I saw was Jurassic Park, followed by Aladdin.

I don't think I've seen Jurassic Park since, but I watch Aladdin every now and then as it is, by far, my favourite Disney film.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                            I remember finding the bad guys in that terrifying. They weren't.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                              They (I think it was NBC) sometimes showed those on the Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday night, but usually not. I recall always hoping every Sunday that they'd show an animated film, but usually it was a western with a lot of earth tones or a nature documentary or something with Dean Jones, all of which I found boring at that age. But the animated films were like pure magic, if for no other reason than the animation was 1000x better than what we were seeing on most contemporary Saturday Morning Cartoons like SuperFriends, Scooby Doo, etc.
                                              In the mid '70s, my grade school did those tame Disney movies starring Kurt Russell for 10 cents on Friday nights. A whole gymnasium full of kids seeing Superdad and Now You See Him, Now You Don't and The Shaggy D.A. and shit like that.

And, of course, the one that blew my mind was the pin-striping short.

Which is here...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO7ZqnRwqnQ

Comment

The car thing started early, eh?

Comment

I think it was that 90s version of Little Women with Winona Ryder. I don't remember anything about it other than it's about some sisters or something.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                    The car thing started early, eh?
                                                    Pfft...genetic, even.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X