Peterloo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peterloo

Anyone seen it yet? I went to the cinema for it yesterday.

I dreaded the duration a bit but it soon passed. Visually, it's stunning and I found it fascinating to think that my ancestors may have been there. However, the script felt it was never more than three lines away from the "This is Manchester. We do things differently here," in 24 Hour Party People and there are some points that are so obvious they should be prefaced by a bloke in a hi-vis vest and ear protectors waving table tennis bats about. The principal example was Maxine Peake saying that her daughter would be 84 in 1900 and that "everything will be different then" when of course for women, it wouldn't.

Enjoyable and thought provoking. 3.5/5.
    Last edited by Giggler; 05-11-2018, 15:50.

Surely there was virtually no chance of a daughter from that class background living to 84? Life expectancy would be about 30-35, assuming she didn't die giving birth.

Comment

Off to watch this tonight out of a sense of duty. I find this sort of film (Mike Leigh and Ken Loach preachy lefty efforts) almost unbearable, but I'll still enjoy it on some level, and pretend to on others.

Comment

It was the sense of duty that took me there too. But when I saw them by Haslingden Grane reservoir accompanied by the dull thud of a simple drum, it really brought it home to me that these were people from the same part of the world as me who believed in a cause I've always taken for granted.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
          Surely there was virtually no chance of a daughter from that class background living to 84? Life expectancy would be about 30-35, assuming she didn't die giving birth.
          30–35 is a bit misleading; the figure was so low because infant mortality was so high. If you could make it past adolesence, it was possible to live to a decent age.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
            Enjoyable and thought provoking. 3.5/10.
            That's a bit low for a film you mostly liked?

Comment

In addition to Stumpy's extremely valid point, the UK average at the time was closer to 45

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                That's a bit low for a film you mostly liked?
                Given that 5 is reserved solely for Back to the Future, Goodfellas, the Grand Budapest Hotel and a few others, it was the script that let it down mostly. Quite hard to follow the contemporary language at times, plus there was one actor in particular who I know is a scouser who was trying to be Lancastrian and it simply didn't work as he kept slipping back into scouse. It was that fella who played the nutter in the old Ardal O'Hanlon sitcom, My Hero.

Comment

Enjoyable and thought provoking. 3.5/10.
                  Do you just not like films in general?

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
                    Given that 5 is reserved solely for Back to the Future, Goodfellas, the Grand Budapest Hotel and a few others...
                    You marked 'Peterloo' out of 10.

Comment

3.5/10 is Neil Breen territory.

Comment

I like Giggler's accommodation for an improvement in then medium of film.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                          You marked 'Peterloo' out of 10.
                          Head's up my arse. Too much going on today. On the verge of going the full Huckridge's Mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                            30–35 is a bit misleading; the figure was so low because infant mortality was so high. If you could make it past adolesence, it was possible to live to a decent age.
                            Good point and I should have been more cautious. Life expectancy for someone who reached 20 was 59.9 in 1841 and for someone who reached 30 it was 63.1.
                            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 05-11-2018, 20:58.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                              Off to watch this tonight out of a sense of duty. I find this sort of film (Mike Leigh and Ken Loach preachy lefty efforts) almost unbearable, but I'll still enjoy it on some level, and pretend to on others.
                              this...

Comment

Didn't watch it tonight. Fell asleep after work.

Comment

If it’s as well paced and as much a triumph as Topsy Turvy or that Turner gak, a lucky escape.

Comment

Going to see it tonight for similar reasons to EIM. My review in advance: It's way too long and could be improved by a few song and dance routines.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                      If it’s as well paced and as much a triumph as Topsy Turvy or that Turner gak, a lucky escape.
                                      Yup. Leigh's not for me.

Comment

Well I've just seen it, and I enjoyed it

7.5/10

Comment

4/10. I'd have given it 5 if it hadn't started raining whilst we were there and we'd not parked miles away so as to avoid the car park fee. If it hadn't been so bloody long we'd have missed the rain.

It earned points for making me angry in the same way I, Daniel Blake did, albeit getting angry at people who lived 200 years ago might be the ultimate in futility. It lost points for making me angry with its northern stereotyping. If I was the actress playing the Observer guy's maid servant I think I'd be too embarrassed to admit it was me. What were Leigh's instructions to her? "Imagine the most gormless person you've ever met and lobotomise her!" How many fat couples from Wigan auditioned for the roles of fat couple from Wigan, I wonder? The auditions for the role of Maxine Peake must have been something of a forgone conclusion mind.

The dialogue was at times as patronising to the audience as the stereotyping was to northerners.

"We wouldn't be so hungry if they allowed imports of foreign corn for us bread."
                                          "Does't tha' mean the Corn Laws our Mam?"
                                          "Aye tha's right our son."

"They've suspended habeas corpus and we need to let the people know."
                                          "Aye but they might not understand what that means"
                                          Aye so we need to tell them it means they can put us in prison without going though the courts."

I have to qualify all this with the rider that I'm (clearly) no film critic and I'd have much preferred to see a Lionel Bart version.

Comment

But it kept every member of Equity north of Crewe in work for a few weeks!

(And surely bonus points for watching Victor McGuire having to "do acting"?)

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post
                                              Going to see it tonight for similar reasons to EIM. My review in advance: It's way too long and could be improved by a few song and dance routines.
                                              Actually, the song routine should have been excised in its entirety.

Was the woman singing it "owed a favour" by one of the producers so it could be artlessly shoe-horned into the picture?

Comment

"Victor, you're a copper and you're a right bastard. Reckon you can do that? Good. Next.."

Christ knows what the song was all about. It was no Consider Yourself is all I can say.

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post
                                                  "Victor, you're a copper and you're a right bastard. Reckon you can do that? Good. Next.."

Christ knows what the song was all about. It was no Consider Yourself is all I can say.

"Victor. You have to put on a hat and a coat and stand motionless outside a door.

Then outside a window

Then motionless on a moor.

We'll talk about the other scenes later, Ok?"

Comment

Working...
                                                  X