No announcement yet.

Forgotten Britpop Bands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Symposium had some views on abortion which probably helped to hasten their demise.

Towards the end of the Britpop era, anyone remember Scottish band Geneva? They stood out from their peers due to Andrew Montgomery's vocal ability but only managed two albums.

Ooberman's Danny Popplewell is now composes music for the gaming and film industries.

Comment

Yes, I remember Geneva. The name at least. Possibly off a NME compilation or one of the Shine albums.

Comment

Geneva were on the same label as Suede, IMMS. I've got them mentally filed alongside Marion as artier, slightly post-Britpop fare. Marion's guitarist Phil Cunningham is now a long serving member of New Order.

Comment

I saw Marion support Morrissey in 1995. My first gig with Mrs Thistle. Didn't rate them much tbh. (Having grown up in a musical wasteland of a home, that gig was the first time I'd ever heard any Morrissey songs.)

Geneva did 'No One Speaks' didn't they. I definitely had that song on something.

The Scottish bands tangent has reminded me of the Supernaturals and Travis. Not sure where in Scotland they were form or if they fit the Britpop timeline.

Comment

I remember the early singles being OK and thinking there was a Teenage Fanclub influence there. What they did owe to Oasis was at least taken from that band's debut album - their only good one.

Comment

Originally posted by Me Old Flower View Post
              Symposium had some views on abortion which probably helped to hasten their demise.

Towards the end of the Britpop era, anyone remember Scottish band Geneva? They stood out from their peers due to Andrew Montgomery's vocal ability but only managed two albums.
              Geneva were pretty much sold to Nude by Brett Anderson, who was a fan. Their second album, Weather Underground (2000), was pretty durned good - far richer and more filmic than the first. (It probably goes without saying that it absolutely tanked.)

Terris were a fair bit after Britpop, IIRC. Again, hyped to f*ck by the press. Again, without any real reason.

What in the world must Symposium have said about abortion? (Then again, I'm not sure I want to know...)

(Edit: Have from some insane reason remembered that one of my ex-girlfriends was a nurse who took blood samples from the entire Arsenal team and also the post-Britpop band Strangelove - if anyone recalls them?)
              Last edited by Jah Womble; 05-11-2018, 17:15.

Comment

I used to get Strangelove mixed up with Longpigs, but now the only thing I can remember about either is that Richard Hawley was in Longpigs.

Comment

Strangelove had one single that I quite liked (Freak), but weren't all that, tbh.

Lead singer Patrick Duff was though, he was a bit of a looker - which caused something of an argument with the ex. (Not because I was jealous - but because I wasn't.)

Comment

Originally posted by BallochSonsFan View Post
                    I like them but I'll admit that I'm only catching up with them years down the line.

I was at uni in Glasgow (Caledonian rather than a proper uni) from 97 to 01 and I don't remember there being a huge amount of coverage of them despite that being their home city.
                    Hmmm. We put them on at Edinburgh University around 1996. As they were on Che! they were definitely on my register. At the Union we spent the next year explaining to one guy why we weren't going to pay for The Mountain Goats to fly to the UK cos he liked them.

That was a pretty fun time to be in Scotland. My friend was also making a good job of putting on touring US bands (Girls against Boys) and other stuff as it surfaced (Six by Seven). It is a wonder I made it through Uni the volume of gigs I was going to.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                      Geneva were pretty much sold to Nude by Brett Anderson, who was a fan. Their second album, Weather Underground (2000), was pretty durned good - far richer and more filmic than the first. (It probably goes without saying that it absolutely tanked.)

Terris were a fair bit after Britpop, IIRC. Again, hyped to f*ck by the press. Again, without any real reason.

What in the world must Symposium have said about abortion? (Then again, I'm not sure I want to know...)

(Edit: Have from some insane reason remembered that one of my ex-girlfriends was a nurse who took blood samples from the entire Arsenal team and also the post-Britpop band Strangelove - if anyone recalls them?)
                      There was a Strangelove song on the free CD I got with the first ever issue of Q that I bought when I was 14, in which you’d still get aftershave ads with samples under a flap and whose articles I perhaps understood only one word in five. The song was ‘Time For The Rest of Your Life’ which is still terrific.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
                        ...the first ever issue of Q that I bought when I was 14, in which you’d still get aftershave ads with samples under a flap...
                        I used to buy Vanity Fair now and again. Some issues were like carrying around a small branch of Lush.

Comment

Were Cud pre-Britpop?

Comment

If you read my post, you'll note that I said 'Britpop-or-contemporary' - hence the inclusion of Jack. (Agree that Thrum were good - and bis were indeed absolutely great.)

Elcka released a single I liked a lot - Leather Lips - as did Comfort (a solo act rather than a band) with Proof of You, which was definitely not Britpop either and a while after that scene had died down anyway.

I'll also admit to a small fondness for Mum's Gone to Iceland. (I remember Bennet giving one of the worst radio interviews I've ever heard, however.)
                            I remember Comfort. He originally went by the name "Out of My Hair" if I remember rightly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                              Were Cud pre-Britpop?
                              Firmly, remember seeing them supporting the Wedding Present in 1990 and they were known then.

Comment

Does anyone remember The Warm Jets? I saw them supporting Teenage Fanclub in 1997, and I can't remember a thing about them. Were they any good?

Comment

I'm biased as two of them are friends, but I can't see how Jack were a 'failed' band. They released three pretty good albums (at a time when most UK indie music was dogshit - see the rest of this thread), were excellent live, had a decent following on the continent and singer Anthony has continued to make distinctive music since. They didn't have chart hits, but their sound wasn't really that commercial.

Cud's career was almost entirely pre-Shitpop.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                    Firmly, remember seeing them supporting the Wedding Present in 1990 and they were known then.
                                    Cud were, and still are, ace. Their indie chart peak was around the 1990 Leggy Mambo album and they were pretty much done by 1995. Stuart Maconie tried and failed to start a Lionpop movement woth them as the figureheads.

Comment

‘Asquarius’, the follow up album to ‘Leggy Mambo’ was Cud’s actual peak. Released on A&M, it made the top thirty of the main chart* and spawned a single ‘Rich & Strange’ which did the same.

I remember it being a good record, though the songs that stick in my mind most by them are covers of the Everly Brothers’ ‘Price of Love’ and ‘Day by Day’ from Godspell which were b sides from that era.

* though I realise you may have specifically meant the indie chart, Greenlander.
                                      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 06-11-2018, 00:29.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                          Were Cud pre-Britpop?
                                          Only a Prawn in Whitby was the first Cud record I remember, which was 1989.

For an 80s indie band, their lead singer had a very powerful voice.

Comment

Another band I remember from the Britpop era were Ruth. I don't know how we heard their first single but I bought it on cassette and my (now) sister in law got obsessed with them, so much so that we ended up going to see them in a random pub in Cardiff.

This may have been a bit later, like about 1999. The main guy went on to found Aqualung.

Comment

They came out as anti-choice in an NME interview.

Comment

I should really go through my CD collection, but a few CDs off the top of my head that I remember buying:

Subcircus

The Unbelievable Truth (garnered a great deal of attention due to it being Andy (brother of Thom) Yorke's band)

Perfume

Boutique (Strawberries and Cream, anyone?)

Laika

Warm Jets (the singer was briefly famous for dating Zoe Ball before she met Norman Cook)

Comment

Originally posted by Me Old Flower View Post
                                                  They came out as anti-choice in an NME interview.
                                                  The entire band shared that standpoint on abortion? What the absolute..?

Originally posted by lackedpunch View Post
                                                  Does anyone remember The Warm Jets? I saw them supporting Teenage Fanclub in 1997, and I can't remember a thing about them. Were they any good?
                                                  Warm Jets had a couple of okay singles around the turn of 1997-98 - Hurricane and Never Never - both of which were heavily rotated on pre-Capital Xfm. I think I bought the album, but returned it - which is something I almost never do. (I did the same with Prolapse's The Italian Flag, because of that bloke yelling over all the tracks. Shame, as the single Autocade was decent.)

The only other fact anyone recalls about Warm Jets was that singer Louis Jones dated Zoe Ball before Quentin got his oar in. (Edit - nice cross-post!)

Comment

I also had an album by a Liverpudlian band called Cecil. The video for their biggest hit (The Most Tiring Day) featured the band vomiting up items of electrical equipment.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X