Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the good stuff...

Comment

Bloody hell, Mighty Mighty. We supported Mighty Might at the Croydon Underground. Their name was heavily ironic. Possibly the most insipid band I have seen live aside from The Woodentops.

Comment

Thanks Aitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
          I had Shine 7 and Shine 10. I think Shine 7 was on cassette though.

Shine 10 has a Symposium track on it.

Comment

I doubt that the Manics signed off on the cover of this Australian take on the Shine compilations.

Comment

Hardly a Forgotten band, but I was surprised to hear Ocean Colour Scene were still going, although they haven't had an album break the UK Top 20 since 2003.

Another one to add to the pile is Caerphilly band Ether. Emerged around the same time that the Manic Street Preachers and Catatonia became mainstream acts, so were lumped in with the "South Wales is the new Seattle" scene. Managed to release one album before splitting up, and were chiefly remembered for having a hotel brawl with members of the Chippendales.

Also: 60Ft. Dolls - I only recall their semi-hit Happy Shopper and some label wrangles that delayed the release of one of their later albums.

Comment

Originally posted by Me Old Flower View Post
                Also: 60Ft. Dolls
                I think I have a CD single somewhere of Stay, which I quite liked at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Me Old Flower View Post
                  Hardly a Forgotten band, but I was surprised to hear Ocean Colour Scene were still going, although they haven't had an album break the UK Top 20 since 2003.
                  I kind of admire the way that they've kept on going all this time and haven't split up - although I think one of their members left and they became a trio and I guess they don't work with Gallagher and Weller any more - and have just continued to periodically churn out new music to the complete indifference of the industry and public. They also avoid the revival tours that are the preserve of their fellow second division Britpoppers such as Shed Seven / Bluetones / Cast / Space etc.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                    I kind of admire the way that they've kept on going all this time and haven't split up - although I think one of their members left and they became a trio and I guess they don't work with Gallagher and Weller any more - and have just continued to periodically churn out new music to the complete indifference of the industry and public. They also avoid the revival tours that are the preserve of their fellow second division Britpoppers such as Shed Seven / Bluetones / Cast / Space etc.
                    The guitarist tours with the Specials. As does the drummer from the Libertines who seems to be working his way through 2-Tone bands having previously done tours with the Selecter and Rankin Roger's half of the Beat.

Comment

I saw 60 Foot Dolls support the Boo Radleys at Cardiff Uni in 1995. Tickets were cheap because the Boo Radleys were recording a short show for Radio 1 or something.

Comment

60 Ft Dolls and Ether both had their moments, particularly the former.

I still have Ether's Strange album - not played it in donkey's yonks. Lead singer Rory Meredith didn't have the kind of voice that easily endured an entire album, however.

Comment

I saw 60 Foot Dolls support the Boo Radleys at Cardiff Uni in 1995. Tickets were cheap because the Boo Radleys were recording a short show for Radio 1 or something.
                          I was at that gig (though I have to say I remember not a thing about the Dolls performance)
                          Last edited by Etienne; 08-11-2018, 13:23.

Comment

It was loud.

Comment

I'd have been at the bar then.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                My Life Story ride out occasionally; they did some play-the-album shows quite recently. They suffered at the time from being seen as The Divine Comedy's poor relations on the orchestral pop front.
                                I really like 12 Reasons Why I Love Her.

Comment

That doesn't sound entirely dissimilar to Fun Boy Three's Tunnel Of Love. Was it ever remarked upon at the time?

Comment

I can certainly remember noting the similarity in intro when hearing it on the radio. MLS were one of those acts about whom I could never make up my mind.

Another 'forgotten' Britpop-era band: Tiny Monroe. Anyone remember them? Quite liked their single She, but the press always lumped them together with the other female-fronted groups - Elastica, Sleeper, Salad, Echobelly, Drugstore, etc.

Drugstore, actually. They were very good live.

Comment

I saw Lush play in a pub in Cardiff once. It was just when Ladykiller had come out.

Comment

I was at that gig too. Free wasn't it. Absolutely rammed, unsurprisingly. A few weeks later Babybird did a free gig at the same pub (well before you're gorgeous) to complete apathy from 8 punters. I thought they were brilliant. Can't remember what the pub was called, though I know it became a firkin.
                                        Last edited by Etienne; 08-11-2018, 22:29.

Comment

Linoleum were another band that fit in with the band's Jag mentioned, who I thought were better than they got credit for. Better live than on record though dissent is pretty good.

Comment

It was Gassy Jack's. It changed its name but is now Gassy Jack's again.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                              Linoleum were another band that fit in with the band's Jag mentioned, who I thought were better than they got credit for. Better live than on record though dissent is pretty good.
                                              Linoleum I recall - I found them a little too similar in style to Powder, Pearl Lowe's band. But there were quite a few of that ilk.

In terms of adopting a 'Britpop' sound and style, however, few did it as precisely as Mantaray:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKRru44qhX0

(Edit: I think I'll rename myself 'Jag' from now on!)
                                              Last edited by Jah Womble; 09-11-2018, 11:15.

Comment

Flowered Up - or do they not count as Britpop?

Comment

Way earlier. (Well, 'way earlier' in pop terms.)

They were more a part of the baggy scene at the turn of the nineties.

Comment

So, 5 years earlier then....

Comment

Working...
                                                    X