No announcement yet.

Forgotten Britpop Bands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep - the turnover was pretty fast back then.

Comment

I know. The difference between 1991 and 1996 was immense. Maybe the difference between 2013 and 2018 is immense as well but I'm old and out of touch.

Comment

I suspect it's more that it really isn't.

Comment

Dodgy?

Comment

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post
            Dodgy?
            Well ahc, if it's good enough for you, it's good enough for me.

It was rolling across the goal mouth.

Comment

Can I contest that CUD are far from forgotten as I've seen them live twice in the last two weeks.

Comment

No matter what BB&F posted above, why wasn't "Big Boobs AND FIRE!" a band name?

Comment

Comment

Wow. Casual. I saw them in a pub in Cardiff and they gave me a demo tape.

Comment

It was a member of Casual who posted that flyer on his Facebook feed a few years ago.

Comment

Comet Gain are the only band who's music I remember on that flyer, though a few other names ring a bell.

Comment

Strong Billy Childish/Damaged Goods representation there.

Comment

Jesse Hector - playing on the 30th - was of course the front man of the Hammersmith Gorillas. (Assuming that it's the same Jesse Hector.)

I'm going to assume that 'Govermental (sic) Health Warning - Believing My Discriptions (sic) is Extremly (sic) Stupid' is some kind of 'in' joke.

Originally posted by Big Boobs and FIRE! View Post
                            Can I contest that CUD are far from forgotten as I've seen them live twice in the last two weeks.
                            They aren't at all forgotten, at least not on here. But they also weren't really contemporaneous to Britpop.

Comment

Only band on that list I've heard of: Armitage Shanks
                              Best band name on that list: The Singing Loins (honourable mention for Dog)

Comment

I'm hoping there really was a band called 'Still Looking for Show!!, Any Ideas, ??'.

Comment

Were The Shreds and Shreds different bands?

Comment

Bob Tilton were a very Fugazi influenced band from Harlow, quite good live.

I never saw The Clique, but much like Thurman, their name was rubbished amongst those attending Blow Up at the time.

I used to really like 100 Men, Mick Whitnall was a lovely guy when I vaguely knew him in the 90s, but he got caught up in the Camden heroin stuff during the noughties. He probably had a great time, for all I know.

Comment

100 Men aren't on that flyer, btw, just that they were always at Blow Up

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
                                        Bob Tilton were a very Fugazi influenced band from Harlow, quite good live.
                                        Bob Tilton were great (I thought at the time).

Finding Crescent on youtube to test out how good young me was at picking bands given a decade or so of electronica.

Band: Bob Tilton.
                                        Album: Crescent.
                                        Origin: Nottingham, England.
                                        Genre: Emo.

Comment

'Bob Tilton' is a great name for a band.

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                          Best band name on that list: The Singing Loins (honourable mention for Dog)
                                          Given the abysmal spelling of whoever it was that designed the flyer, there's every chance that band could've been The Singing Lions. (Which in itself would be relatively satisfying.)

Comment

It's definitely Loins. They were a modern folk band from Medway, who weren't quite as exciting as their name.

Comment

Casual strikes me as a terrible name for a band, particularly given that the flyer pegs them as 'new mod'.

Shouldn't they have been called Smart or Really Made An Effort With The Details?

Comment

Or The Preening Twats.

Comment

They were a bit more tail-end NWOTNW, they all big fans of These Animal Men. I used to work weekends sometimes for the singer's office furniture installation business when I was a student. Paid great money back then.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                                    It's definitely Loins. They were a modern folk band from Medway, who weren't quite as exciting as their name.
                                                    Fair enough, I thought I knew most of the Medway bands, having been at art school in Rochester (and having been in one myself) during the eighties. I graduated in 1986, so perhaps they burst forth onto the scene after that.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X