Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Teams
    Celtic/Yankees/Arsenal/Sparta Rotterdam
    Biscuit
    TRIIIIIIIIIIIIO's
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    I wonder where one might get hold of these...by any means?

You could be owed thousands
    Teams
    The patch, the pitch, the Poch...
    Biscuit
    Pepperidge Farm Cinnamon Apple Crunch
    Actor
    Virginia McKenna in drag
    Quote Originally Posted by caja-dglh View Post
    Around this whole time was when Ultrasound bubbled and then vanished (Fierce Panda --> signed to Nude --> implode). Fierce Panda was positioned brilliantly around that time grabbing short term deals with bands, though then it went all squirly and they tried to do full albums. Seafood was the one they kept pushing where I faded off on to other stuff.
    Ultrasound were a shade after Britpop, but judging by some of the bands suggested (Corrosion Of Conformity? Biohazard?), we've moved away from that now. I still rate their Everything Picture album - even though it was deemed way too overblown - and the single Stay Young was nice and bombastic. They came back with an album in 2016, plus two decent singles in Soul Girl and Kon-Tiki.

Seafood were another of the bands we booked for Sean Hughes's show. I quite liked their Scorch Comfort. (Placebo also issued their first single via Fierce Panda - and it was probably the best thing they ever recorded.)

Blood Sausage were 'different' to say the least. They were associated with Huggy Bear and some of the other Riot Grrl bands. (Edit: As Dracula has already mentioned. It was Shaw's project, but they 'were' a band though.)

Can't say I've ever thought of Audioweb as being 'Britpop'. (And Gay Dad were awful.)
    Last edited by Jah Womble; 07-11-2018 at 13:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    I remember reading about Gay Dad but don't think I ever heard any of their stuff.

I'm going to dig my old Shine CDs out
    I bought To Earth With Love by them. Never play it when the iPod picks it out though.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDracula View Post
    Only Audioweb could possibly be Britpop from that list.

Blood Sausage was one fella, Dale Shaw, who was pals with Huggy Bear and they let him be a riot grrrl or something. I had his first single. It was of its time.

Bivouac wanted to be Buffalo Tom.

Bleach were shoegazers from Ipswich.

Done Lying Down were part of the New Wave Of new Wave, alongside S*M*A*S*H and These Animal Men. All Fierce Panda and that.

The others were pretty much metal.
    Policeman Skank by Audioweb was a banger.

Teams
    FC Utrecht
    Biscuit
    Lemon Kisses
    Actor
    Tilda Swinton in a fat suit
    I wonder where one might get hold of these...by any means?
    "Shine (90s Indie) Compilation Albums 1-10" is a playlist on Spotify. 268 songs; 18 hours and five minutes of Britpop and Indie heaven.

The real tragedy happened long before I came along...
    Teams
    the ghost of Aston Villa
    Biscuit
    Orange Viscount
    Actor
    Patton Oswalt
    This is the good stuff...

Have a good time all the time, that's my philosophy, Marty!
    Teams
    Bath City FC; Porthcawl RFC (bandwagon-jumping);Wales in most things.
    Biscuit
    Fig roll - deal with it.
    Actor
    Vincent Price (increasingly)
    Bloody hell, Mighty Mighty. We supported Mighty Might at the Croydon Underground. Their name was heavily ironic. Possibly the most insipid band I have seen live aside from The Woodentops.

Teams
    Celtic/Yankees/Arsenal/Sparta Rotterdam
    Biscuit
    TRIIIIIIIIIIIIO's
    Thanks Aitch.

We are Groot
    Teams
    Salop, Cymru, Devils, Padres
    Biscuit
    Choc and Hazelnut Boasters
    Actor
    Mr Tumble apparently
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    I had Shine 7 and Shine 10. I think Shine 7 was on cassette though.

Shine 10 has a Symposium track on it.

I doubt that the Manics signed off on the cover of this Australian take on the Shine compilations.

Teams
    Doncaster Rovers and Doncaster RLFC
    Biscuit
    Garibaldi. Sorry.
    Hardly a Forgotten band, but I was surprised to hear Ocean Colour Scene were still going, although they haven't had an album break the UK Top 20 since 2003.

Another one to add to the pile is Caerphilly band Ether. Emerged around the same time that the Manic Street Preachers and Catatonia became mainstream acts, so were lumped in with the "South Wales is the new Seattle" scene. Managed to release one album before splitting up, and were chiefly remembered for having a hotel brawl with members of the Chippendales.

Also: 60Ft. Dolls - I only recall their semi-hit Happy Shopper and some label wrangles that delayed the release of one of their later albums.

I ought to report you to the Gnome Office
    Teams
    Bolton Wanderers, SpVgg Unterhaching
    Quote Originally Posted by Me Old Flower View Post
    Also: 60Ft. Dolls
    I think I have a CD single somewhere of Stay, which I quite liked at the time.

Golden oldies Rolling Stones, we don't want them back
    Teams
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Biscuit
    Custard creams
    Quote Originally Posted by Me Old Flower View Post
    Hardly a Forgotten band, but I was surprised to hear Ocean Colour Scene were still going, although they haven't had an album break the UK Top 20 since 2003.
    I kind of admire the way that they've kept on going all this time and haven't split up - although I think one of their members left and they became a trio and I guess they don't work with Gallagher and Weller any more - and have just continued to periodically churn out new music to the complete indifference of the industry and public. They also avoid the revival tours that are the preserve of their fellow second division Britpoppers such as Shed Seven / Bluetones / Cast / Space etc.

Teams
    Plymouth Argyle, Plymouth Devils
    Biscuit
    chocolate hobnob
    Quote Originally Posted by longeared View Post
    I kind of admire the way that they've kept on going all this time and haven't split up - although I think one of their members left and they became a trio and I guess they don't work with Gallagher and Weller any more - and have just continued to periodically churn out new music to the complete indifference of the industry and public. They also avoid the revival tours that are the preserve of their fellow second division Britpoppers such as Shed Seven / Bluetones / Cast / Space etc.
    The guitarist tours with the Specials. As does the drummer from the Libertines who seems to be working his way through 2-Tone bands having previously done tours with the Selecter and Rankin Roger's half of the Beat.

We are Groot
    Teams
    Biscuit
    Actor
    Mr Tumble apparently
    I saw 60 Foot Dolls support the Boo Radleys at Cardiff Uni in 1995. Tickets were cheap because the Boo Radleys were recording a short show for Radio 1 or something.

Teams
    Biscuit
    Actor
    Virginia McKenna in drag
    60 Ft Dolls and Ether both had their moments, particularly the former.

I still have Ether's Strange album - not played it in donkey's yonks. Lead singer Rory Meredith didn't have the kind of voice that easily endured an entire album, however.

I saw 60 Foot Dolls support the Boo Radleys at Cardiff Uni in 1995. Tickets were cheap because the Boo Radleys were recording a short show for Radio 1 or something.
    I was at that gig (though I have to say I remember not a thing about the Dolls performance)
    Last edited by Etienne; 08-11-2018 at 14:23.

We are Groot
    Teams
    Biscuit
    Actor
    Mr Tumble apparently
    It was loud.

I'd have been at the bar then.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjm View Post
    My Life Story ride out occasionally; they did some play-the-album shows quite recently. They suffered at the time from being seen as The Divine Comedy's poor relations on the orchestral pop front.
    I really like 12 Reasons Why I Love Her.

That doesn't sound entirely dissimilar to Fun Boy Three's Tunnel Of Love. Was it ever remarked upon at the time?

Teams
    Biscuit
    Actor
    Virginia McKenna in drag
    I can certainly remember noting the similarity in intro when hearing it on the radio. MLS were one of those acts about whom I could never make up my mind.

Another 'forgotten' Britpop-era band: Tiny Monroe. Anyone remember them? Quite liked their single She, but the press always lumped them together with the other female-fronted groups - Elastica, Sleeper, Salad, Echobelly, Drugstore, etc.

Drugstore, actually. They were very good live.

We are Groot
    Teams
    Biscuit
    Actor
    Mr Tumble apparently
    I saw Lush play in a pub in Cardiff once. It was just when Ladykiller had come out.

I was at that gig too. Free wasn't it. Absolutely rammed, unsurprisingly. A few weeks later Babybird did a free gig at the same pub (well before you're gorgeous) to complete apathy from 8 punters. I thought they were brilliant. Can't remember what the pub was called, though I know it became a firkin.
    Last edited by Etienne; 08-11-2018 at 23:29.

Linoleum were another band that fit in with the band's Jag mentioned, who I thought were better than they got credit for. Better live than on record though dissent is pretty good.

We are Groot
    Teams
    Biscuit
    Actor
    Mr Tumble apparently
    It was Gassy Jack's. It changed its name but is now Gassy Jack's again.