No announcement yet.

All roads lead to Harrogate: Pro cycling 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I think Van Aert cited his unhappiness at the plans as reason for breaking his contract, but Sniper (understandably) want compensation. I'd have thought that TLJ would be quite happy to buy the contract out and bring Van Aert on board a year early.

Thanks Kev. I followed Raleigh when I was on Facebook, but their social media engagement was best described as somnolent so I got a bit vague. I'm glad Team Wiggins is still going, I half expected it to fold quite quickly.

Comment

Podium Cafe gives its thoughts on the sprinters to watch in 2019:
      https://www.podiumcafe.com/2018/11/2...kout-sprinters

And if you want the other three lists of three:

Grand Tour riders: https://www.podiumcafe.com/2018/11/8...out-candidates
      Ardenneseque riders: https://www.podiumcafe.com/2018/11/1...by-classicists
      Flandrian riders: https://www.podiumcafe.com/2018/11/2...breakout-stars

Comment

Reports that ex-pro and cycling commentator Paul Sherwen has passed away.

Comment

Just came on to post that myself. Only 62, seemed to have been around for ever. Good domestique, turned pro in the pre "Foreign Legion" days when Brits were very thin on the ground in the continental peloton, did the Tour a few times. Courageously rode an entire stage on his own after a nasty crash, finished an hour down and the race organisers waived the elimination time for him. Then retired fairly young and ended up on the telly, in those days him and Liggett did an excellent job deciphering the race for the general audience (less said about recent years the better really). Remember him breaking down in 1995 when Armstrong won in Limoges two days after Casartelli's death.

Didn't he own a diamond mine or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Me Old Flower View Post
            Reports that ex-pro and cycling commentator Paul Sherwen has passed away.
            Just read that on Wikipedia. Apparently his diamond mine was in Uganda.

My memories of early cycling are because of him but the Armstrong era also taints him. Was he an apologist like Liggett?

RIP .
            Last edited by Antepli Ejderha; 02-12-2018, 21:50.

Comment

Sherwen was always close to Armstrong, initially more so than Liggett. He worked for Motorola in the 1990s, apparently as press officer but also doing other work; there's a great picture (not online unfortunately) of him pushing Sean Yates off after a puncture and the pair of them grinning. He was also the main conduit for Armstrong when he was diagnosed with cancer and he was always Armstrong's default interviewer, at least until his career went stratospheric and Lance hated any press interaction. They then stuck by Armstrong even when his empire fell and it became apparent they'd backed the wrong horse.

This Graham Watson photo of Sherwen at Roubaix in 1985 is a staple of photography books on the sport. Proper cycling.

Comment

Thanks longeared, most of that was new for me.

Comment

Dani Rowe has announced her retirement at 28 years of age. Will she will be concentrating on the Rowe and King Cycle Coaching business from now on?

Comment

That and / or she plans to start a family, I'd guess. Shame as she'd had some good results this season and felt like she might get a big road win somewhere. Still had a fine career though.

Comment

Tom Pidcock will remain with Team Wiggins for 2019, with the UCI WC as his main target for the season.

Comment

Lotto Soudal

Comment

That's not a bike. Bloody cheats.

Comment

Heh. And now I want some flan for some reason.

Team Sky

Comment

Pete Shelley composed the theme music for the Tour de France on Channel 4. It's fucking weird that he should pass on in the same week as Sherwen.

Comment

Tour de Yorkshire 2019 routes announced (timings to follow in the future):

Men's Stage 1: Doncaster - Selby via Beverley/Wolds
                                Men's Stage 2/Women's Stage 1: Barnsley - Bedale (The Worlds stage, taking in the Harrogate 2019 WC circuit).
                                Men's Stage 3/Women's Stage 2: Bridlington - Scarborough (via The North York Moors)
                                Men's Stage 4: Halifax - Leeds (via The Dales, similar to the 2018 edition)

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                  Pete Shelley composed the theme music for the Tour de France on Channel 4. It's fucking weird that he should pass on in the same week as Sherwen.
                                  I loved that theme music.

Comment

Chuff knows where they're going to put a finish in Selby, the place was full up when they had a start there in the inaugural edition and a finish has a much greater footprint.

Here's the new Boels Dolmans kit.

Comment

La Vuelta a España will come to Yorkshire at a mutually beneficial time in the near future, according to reports.

Comment

Martha Kelner is reporting that Sky are going to withdraw their sponsorship at the end of next season.

Comment

Skexit.

Real end of an era this, if they do find a replacement sponsor they're unlikely to have similarly deep pockets. Be interesting to see how toxic the team are to any form of sponsor, what with Jiffy bags and TUEs and salbutamol and that.

In other news Bahrain-Merida have entered into a technical partnership with McLaren. Poor buggers, they'll probably end up riding tricycles.

(Nothing else happening this morning is there?)

Comment

So much for Bernal's five year contact.

And I hope that Savio got his money for Ivan Sosa up front.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                              Just read that on Wikipedia. Apparently his diamond mine was in Uganda.

My memories of early cycling are because of him but the Armstrong era also taints him. Was he an apologist like Liggett?

RIP .
                                              So this gold mine had three partners, Sherwen, Liggett and Armstrong. No wonder they wouldn't say anything bad about him.

Comment

Cofidis have got a new kit everybody!

Comment

And CCC have gone all Euskadi Eusaktel on us:

Comment

Lefevere knows how to do national champion kits

Comment

Working...
                                                    X