The Irish Sometimes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Irish Sometimes

Declan Rice declaring for England apparently.

Can't say I blame him. More likely to play actual football under Southgate than MONKeano.

Applause for the title.

Comment

14 adult caps before realising he wasn't Irish? You're well rid of the timewaster.

Comment

It wasn't 14, it was 3 adult call-ups and he wasn't even on the bench for the only competitive one, was he?

Comment

Long gone are the days when Ireland had 6 World Class players. What happened, eh?

Comment

An acquaintance of mine is a relative of Rice and seems quite close to him. That acquaintance is also a good friend of Harry Arter and (while I don't know if Rice and Arter themselves are friendly) I did wonder if Arter's recent clash with Roy Keane has been a factor in Rice's decision-making as well as the general awful state of the Irish set up.
            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 31-10-2018, 11:21.

Comment

Bored: U-19 and U-21 are adult competitions. I was U-19 when moving to live and study in another country. The South weren't bad then, so I never progressed higher than the Leinster League

EIM: they turned to rugby union and golf instead?

de Galles: so Declan, what was it about the millionaires Southgate, Gold, potential future EPL employers and co that attracted you? I don't know anyone in or close to the South's camp (bar journo Ken Early of this parish of course), but I doubt Roy Keane's antics had any influence whatever on Rice's decision.
              Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 31-10-2018, 11:27.

Comment

Maybe he should have a chat with Jack Grealish to see how these things can work out, as for O'Neill/ Keane,they'll probably be gone in the next two years,it's not much to base a decision on.

Comment

Guapo: I imagine it's already worked out in a hefty payday for Rice and his agent(s).

Comment

The Example to think of here isn't Jack Grealish. It's Michael Keane. He switched to England, got two caps, and a £35 million move to Everton, with commensurate bump in salary. He'd have close on 40 caps for us by Now and played at euro 2016. He wouldn't have made anywhere near as much money. I think everyone is looking at Harry Maguire and thinking that a couple of games for England at a tournament and suddenly a fairly mediocre centre half is the subject of £75 million bids and judging by what I've seen so far this season, Immune to bookings and red cards
                    Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 31-10-2018, 21:02.

Comment

That £35m claim is £10m too high.

Comment

Hah, so it would seem £25 rising to £30 million it would appear. Though that's £70 million in 2018 money.

The big thing though is that I can't help feeling that a players value or marketability would be more even if they never played international football for England at all. There was a time when if you played for the republic of Ireland, that would help your career, because you'd be going to tournaments, and the team was quite good. However now all playing for Ireland does is make you look like a clueless cunt. The Thing that people don't really twig about young players is that they receive a much higher, and more modern standard of coaching and preparation at academy level than they do in a senior team, and the problem faced by young players is that the manager of the senior team doesn't understand how to use them. There's little point in being trained in a way that you could fit into the Barcelona B team, if your manager is Sam Allardyce or Jose Mourinho.

So Any young player looking at playing for Ireland under Trap would have had to wait until they were 27 to get a cap, and any young player under O'Neill is going to be in a dressing room, where he has next to no contact with the manager, until the team is announced half an hour before the match, and the players are told what formation they are playing in, and told to figure it out for themselves. I can't imagine how fucking unimpressed someone like Declan Rice would have been at such a set up. Playing in a team like that, where you're spending the first half an hour figuring out who goes where, and where there are no pre-planned moves or 'action triggers' is the surest way to make a young player like this look like a cunt, and make the team in general look like clueless shaved apes.

Comment

This is it. People say, "Oh but the current manager won't be a deciding factor in Rice picking England or Ireland, because he'll be thinking long term."

You can't think long-term like that when you are looking at a career that is only going to last 10-12 years. Especially not when the FAI keeps appointing clueless stoneage era managers. MON will only be replaced by Harry Redknapp or some such. Look at Wes Hoolahan. His entire international career coincided with idiots as manager. Look at Shane Long. He was well past his peak when he started getting picked for Ireland games. We had about one year of him starting in the team and still being a top player. Declan Rice would be wasting his time playing for Ireland.

Comment

NIL

NIL

NIL

NIL

NIL

NIL

NIL

Comment

Did anyone watch this? Even fuckin the Great Satan Denis must eventually feel the patriotic thing is to cut the paycheck to the miserable speccy bastard.

Give it to Fenlon if he’d touch it with a bargepole. This caveman shit has to stop.

Comment

This is as bad as the last days of Trap. He’s lucky the idiots in the SFA reappointed fucking McLeish to make him look less bad. The two most retrograde useless past it managers in European international football.

Comment

That was not good. That was really not good. Martin O'Neill is being extraordinarily weird about a young player called Michael Obafemi, who was born in dublin, then grew up in London. I suspect he was one of those children that Michael McDowell made us have a referendum over. O Neill could ensure that he is stuck with us by playing him for a single minute in our dead rubber against denmark, but instead didn't even bring him on tonight.

You get the strong impression that if a young player is quite good, but has a realistic possibility of playing for the likes of England, then we should pick them in a competitive game when they are 17 or 18 like we did with Robbie Keane, and then they are stuck with us. Instead we seem to make them have to prove their love for Ireland, while treating them pretty badly. It's really a case of O'Neill saying "If you don't love me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best." while setting Declan Rice's dog on fire and posting the video on instagram.

What is it about irish fans being excited about a player gives some septuagenarian wage thief an serious case of oppositional defiant disorder, while randomly scattering Irish caps to any other randomer that happens to be nearby.

I've got to say that it's no way to manage a small country where you have to desperately grab anyone you can, and you win over young players with options by promising them a good crack of the whip from an early age. it's the only option open to us. we can't afford to have ancient manager, with tactics from the early seventies, who think that a 25 year old professional is an under-developed child.

Comment

Oh, and it occurs to me that I only recognize one or two ireland players. I swear to god, I can't tell all these mid sized guys with the same short black hair, symetrical features, stubble and tattoos apart. I was looking at my fellow countrymen with the same lack of Comprehension of a British television commentator at the 1974 world cup trying to commentate on a zaire match.

Comment

He’s a lazy disgrace. A chippy bastard with Sean Barrett levels of self importance.
                                      Last edited by Lang Spoon; 16-11-2018, 00:54.

Comment

Fuckin tattoos depress the shit out of me man. Everyone likes colouring in, save it for doodles on foolscap. Kids these days.

Comment

Do you mean the Ceann Comhairle, or the Economics lecturer and senator.

Comment

The former CC.

Comment

I can believe that. I had considerable dealings with the latter and he is a Gentleman.

Comment

A shockingly poor game. Commiserations to all who witnessed.

Declan Rice could only improve either team.

Comment

The South's last game is only dead rubber if Denmark beat Wales tonight. Othewise the Danes still need points to secure promotion or avoid relegation.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X