Soulwax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soulwax

My brother - not that one - did a mixCD for me years ago and it included "E Talking" as well as the Radio Soulwax remix of "Human Fly". The former came on while I was running today and it occurred to me that I had never followed up their other stuff despite really liking that. I have gone through a YouTube trawl and heard "Is it always binary" and "Do you want to get into trouble" (which I thought sounded more along the Radio Soulwax type stuff) and then "Any minute now" and "Much against everyone's advice" which seemed more guitar based. "E-talking" seems like a cross between the two approaches. They remind me of an odd mix of Queens of the Stone Age, Public Service Broadcasting and Groove Armada which is always going to get a thumbs up from me. I am going to get "As Heard on Radio Soulwax Pt. 2" but any other recommendations?

Their soundtrack to the Belgica movie is pretty neat. Pitchfork review here.

Their latest album, From Deewee, contains both "Is it always binary" and "Do you want to get into trouble". When touring the album, they wisely decided that to properly realize the songs live, the appropriate number of drummers was three. It's good stuff.

Comment

I've seen them live a few times and they always put on a great show, which isn't a given for groups performing mostly instrumental dance music. As well as the multiple drummers, the From Deewee tour had a really cool black and white set and production design from, I think, Martin Margiela.

Comment

Yes, the video for "IS it always binary?" is effectively an 'as-live' performance with that stage production and the three drummers which looks fun. So, it appears that the "From DeeWee" album is 'purer' dance music?

Comment

Yes is the short answer.

Their presentation of their various projects can be confusing. Broadly speaking, 2manydjs is the mash-up/remix stuff, Soulwax their own (dance) music, then they played a tour billed as 'Soulwax Nite Versions' which I remember as being the closest to a traditional rock/pop band show.

Comment

I don't know if it's still available, but they used to have a Radio Soulwax app that gave you access to a load of their remixes for free.

Comment

Soulwax had a period as a more conventional indie band too, didn't they? Circa 2000-2001.

Comment

Working...
              X