Misspelt names on record sleeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Misspelt names on record sleeves

On my CD copy of Alexander O'Neal's first album, his name is misspelt as "O'Neil" on one end of the tray card (but correctly on the other). No wonder he sounds so grumpy on follow-up smash Hearsay.

Are there any other artists whose joy in achieving a lifetime ambition may have been tempered by poor proofreading?

My cousin's copy of China Crisis debut Difficult Shapes and Passive Rhythms managed to omit an 'f' in 'difficult' on the spine.

As I mentioned on another thread, an early J Geils Band single was sometimes labelled as 'Must Of Got Lost' - which is beyond excruciating.

Comment

Nevermind.

Comment

There was a mid-90s band called Blameless. I was on their mailing list and they wrote out and said everyone on their mailing list would be thanked in a booklet in their next CD single. Nice touch, but my name was wrong on their mailing list. I could have contacted them but never got round to it so my name was printed as Jan not Jon.

Comment

I hope you viewed the band as blameless in that, PT? (Sorry...)

That'd be the Breathe (A Little Deeper) lot, I presume, by the way? I believe OTFer blameless is specifically named after them.

Comment

Town clowns, the lot of them.

Comment

Ressurrection Joe is an early Cult single.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                I hope you viewed the band as blameless in that, PT? (Sorry...)

That'd be the Breathe (A Little Deeper) lot, I presume, by the way? I believe OTFer blameless is specifically named after them.
                That would be the one. I quite liked them, bought their first few singles before Breathe came out and even had the album before Breath came out, which then then reissued with Breathe on when Breathe was a hit instead of releasing a second album. I'm sure I could wiki them and see what happened to them but I guess they just faded away.

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                Town clowns, the lot of them.
                I think it was the reissued version of Town Clowns. One of the CDs came in a cardboard sleeve with the booklet with my misspelled name on. It also has Mrs Thistle's maiden name in there.

Comment

The only other tune of theirs I can recall was the much-played on GLR (but ultimately chart-averse) Signs. Their Wiki page sheds no light on what became of them, but claims that they were compared to US bands like Pearl Jam, which I cannot see at all. Town Clowns was about as 'British' a song as they came.

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                  Ressurrection Joe is an early Cult single.
                  I think it might even have been one R and two Ss. Bugged me big time, that did.

The spelling of 'Some Bizzare' (as in Soft Cell's label) was similarly irritating.

Comment

A couple of well known ones to record collectors are the early copies of "Love Me Do" which spelt Paul McCartney's name as "McArtney" in the song writing credits and the early Jethro Tull single with the band's name given as "Jethro Toe"

Comment

Many subeditors have tried to rationalise Steely & Clevie’s name but few live to tell the tale

https://www.discogs.com/artist/116601-Steely-Clevie

Comment

I have a Steely Dan album where they spelled it Steeleye Span. Sounds really different, too.

Comment

Odessey & Oracle by The Zombies.

I believe the first pressing of Tapestry was credited to Carol King.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                            On my CD copy of Alexander O'Neal's first album, his name is misspelt as "O'Neil" on one end of the tray card (but correctly on the other). No wonder he sounds so grumpy on follow-up smash Hearsay.
                            This observation by O'Neal's close friends after all the hard work on his first album prompted him to write the line "I'm fed up 'cos all you ever do is criticize". A key moment in his career.

Comment

I'd take Nevermind to be a specific coinage rather than a mispelling, I think. I think it's a rather beautiful title, the way it's almost like Neverland or something.

The great jazz drummer Sunny Murray's debut album was Sonny's Time Now.

Comment

Not a record sleeve, but I do know someone from back home who had a 'Tubway Army' tattoo. He didn't notice the error until it was pointed it out to him a few days later. The tattooist offered him a free tattoo to make up for the mistake, which was accepted. Kev Cack (for it was he) was surely from the school of optimism.

Comment

Didn't Dionne Warwick's professional name originate from a misspelled label? Misspelt? Really should make sure on a thread about spelling.

Comment

Should have re-read the thread title.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                      ...mispelling...
                                      Oops!

Agree 100% with your point about Nevermind, though.

Comment

Misspelled is one of those awkward words which lurks in the uncanny valley between an -ed ending and a -t ending and one way or another I wasn't sure what was wrong with what I wrote but knew I couldn't be arsed fixing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                          I think it might even have been one R and two Ss. Bugged me big time, that did.
                                          All I'm saying is you try forcing your way past autocorrect.

Comment

Shakespears Sister managed to get both the spelling and the grammar of their name wrong on their first single and decided to stick with that form after that.

Comment

I remembered reading about this, so looked it up.

How Therapy? got their question mark

in a 1992 interview guitarist Andy Cairns admitted that it was a chance design when he was working on band's first record sleeve. Working with*Letraset*transfers, Cairns misaligned the band's name, and used the "?" icon to fill the space to the right. "And then we thought, well maybe we can bluff our way through when people start reading into it."
                                              Not a misspelling, but it is to do with a record sleeve.

Comment

Working...
                                              X