Record covers that fascinated you as a child

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Just in case anyone is wondering, dglh is not referring to the Francophone answer to the Eurythmics.

Of which I own their last two albums.

Comment

Never listened to this LP, but the artwork left a lasting impression.

Comment

Originally posted by Alderman Barnes View Post
        This one was one of my Dad's jazz records. I'd never seen anyone that sweaty before:

On a par with:

Comment

Blind faith
          [spoiler]

[/spoiler]

NSFW
          Last edited by Aitch; 17-10-2018, 23:21.

Comment

Maybe put that in a spoiler, and add an NSFW warning?

Comment

The cover of the "Crache ton venin" album by Téléphone, France’s most popular band along with Trust in the late 1970s-early 1980s, is really etched in my mind. I was 14 when it was released, in 1979, that may explain it. It was also dead original and subversive back then we thought.

There were 2 covers within 1 in fact: the one on the left (below) was what you saw, and the one of the right was what you were left with after sliding out a calque (tracing paper with an imprint) of the band members’ clothes, if that makes sense, not quite sure what the technical term with this type of calque is but hopefully you get the idea.

The audio tape:

https://img.cdandlp.com/2013/05/imgL/115953403.jpg

Comment

The cover of the "Crache ton venin" album by Téléphone, France’s most popular band along with Trust in the late 1970s-early 1980s, is really etched in my mind. I was 14 when it was released, in 1979, that may explain it. It was also dead original and subversive back then we thought.

There were 2 covers within 1 in fact: the one on the left (below) was what you saw, and the one of the right was what you were left with after sliding out a calque (tracing paper with an imprint) of the band members’ clothes, if that makes sense, not quite sure what the technical term with this type of calque is but hopefully you get the idea.

The audio tape:

Comment

Done

Comment

I discovered second-wave ska via punk and I discovered reggae through second-wave ska. I didn't have much money so would spend a good hour or so looking through the reggae records trying to figure out where to start (there was never anyone in the store that could help on this front--although if I knew as a 12-year-old what I know now, I would have asked to talk with the reggae buyer). Anyway, this Steel Pulse record really caught my eye:

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post
                      I was well into my teens when I first encountered Trans-Europe Express, but I could hardly believe that the cover of what was notionally a pop album could look like this.

They must have really gone all out for this, going all the way to Paris. Those portraits are by the J. Stara photo studio, in Place de l'Etoile in Paris. My mother took us there to have our pictures taken when I was 10 or 11, for us it was only a 5 minute walk.
                      Last edited by linus; 19-10-2018, 22:47.

Comment

I wasn't a child, but was fascinated by how grotty the inside sleeve pic of Electric Ladyland is. David Montgomery was a decent photog (though rather overfond of wide-angle distortion.) However the lighting — and especially the colour seps — are so bad I thought for sometime that it must be intentional. I've since seen better reproductions so these days I'm less inclined to blame the camerawork.

Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 20-10-2018, 00:43.

Comment

Working...
                        X