Fucked Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fucked Up

So, after a four-year wait, their new album - Dose Your Dreams - is finally here. It's excellent, but I'm a fan so what else am I going to say?

It's a significant move in a different direction, with most songs being virtually finished before Damian was even involved. So, new sounds, new voices, new results. It's great. Damian said that he's intentionally moving away from being the nucleus of the band, and that's evident here.

However, I'm not sure they'd still be Fucked Up without him. I saw The Pogues without Shane, and they were fine...but not The Pogues.

Metacritic gives it 84% (universal acclaim) and I'd agree.

A sample...(skip to :23)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iaArL6rYl4

What's Damian doing/playing if he's not fronting the band?

Comment

Apparently a ton of podcasting and working on projects with Vice. Apparently he's quite busy away from the band. And he has three young kids.

Comment

Hmm. Admittedly his voice is ... ummm.... an acquired taste, but you're right I'm not sure it's the same band without him.

Comment

Interviewed on CBC this morning. Did you catch them?

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
            Interviewed on CBC this morning. Did you catch them?
            No. Tom Power in Jian's old slot? I'll dig around for it tonight. I'm seeing them at the 'shoe on Friday night.

Comment

Yes

Comment

I'd never heard of them up to this thread but saw a poster today that they're playing Dublin in January

Comment

Give the album David Comes to Life a listen. It's epic.

Comment

I just clicked on WOM's link up there and it took me over a minute to realise I was watching the pre-clip advert which looked and sounded like how I'd imagine a band called Fucked Up to sound like.

(Something with a man in a suit being chased out of a mall, kidnapped and then buried somewhere on the border)

Comment

I really liked the song in the link, having also never heard of them before the thread. Will need to listen again then find some other stuff of theirs.

Comment

Excellent.

They won Canada's Polaris Music Prize in 2009 for The Chemistry of Common Life. The first time I listened to it, I had trouble getting through two songs. Within a week, I couldn't turn it off.

David Comes to Life, their next, was epic in my opinion. The follow up, Glass Boys is strong but was poorly produced. The newest, Dose Your Dreams, is David calibre. Very diverse and a bit risky for them.

The lead singer, Damian, is also the nicest guy you could ever want to bump into and blather on to like a fanboy. Um...he says from experience.

Comment

Well, they're even better live than I'd hoped they'd be. What a night. After three (3!) opening acts, they came on at midnight and played til 1:20 a.m. Full speed the whole time. And Damian kept his shirt on for the whole show, so bonus points for that.

Comment

Working...
                          X