Poppycock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poppycock

It's that time of the season again, League weighs in with the first example of poppy-related nonsense though I'm sure football can more than hold it's own again :

ENGLAND TO HONOUR FIRST WORLD WAR HEROES
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 15-10-2018, 12:12.

I'd buy one of those, only I'm saving up my money for one of those remembrance toasters.

Comment

Being the 100 year anniversary of the Armistice, I dread to think what kind of hysteria is going to take hold over the next four or five weeks.

Comment

I know these are historically accurate but I find the relaunch peculiar, especially the hook up with Help For Heroes :

Special limited-edition pack of Jelly Babies launched

I know this thread is a bit light of connection with actual football right now but it will come.

Comment

Poppycock indeed.

That site says a hundred-weight was 100lb. Historical accuracy my arse.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
            I know these are historically accurate but I find the relaunch peculiar, especially the hook up with Help For Heroes :

Special limited-edition pack of Jelly Babies launched

I know this thread is a bit light of connection with actual football right now but it will come.
            With it being the centenary not only of the end of the war but also the original naming of them as "Peace Babies", I am not sure why it is peculiar in itself. However, having wanted them to rename them "Peace Babies" around this time for ages, I am also somewhat surprised by the link to Help For Heroes.

Comment

I wish I had become a professional footballer, not for any of the usual reasons, but so I could have refused to wear a poppy.

Comment

Even the streakers have been told they have to stick a poppy in the bell end.

Comment

Ray, you collect football badges don't you? Just ask and I'll get one of these for you

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/...special-badge/

Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 16-10-2018, 11:56.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                    I wish I had become a professional footballer, not for any of the usual reasons, but so I could have refused to wear a poppy.
                    You've still got time to become a news anchor on Channel 4 surely?

Comment

I really must get up to date on current rhyming slang.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                        Cuh. They might have had the common decency to replace Floreat Salopia on the badge with something a bit more heroic and patriotic, like Dulce et decorum est. It's associated with a famous local boy made good, and all.

Comment

"Less we forget" is the usual accompaniment to the usual pub wall mural.

Comment

So who will be the first player (club?) to rock up with a white poppy on their / his / her shirt?

Comment

Popped into a craft fair at Newbiggin-by-the-Sea on Sunday (rocking all weekend, me) and one stall had elaborate enamelled and jewelled poppy brooches in presentation boxes. No mention of Donation if you bought one, seller (sorry, ‘artisan’) not wearing a paper one, neither.
                              Just a minor encounter with poppy hysteria and hypocrisy.

Comment

Which club is gonna have a white poppy printed on all their shirts? Clapton Community FC, looking at you

Comment

I went to South West London yesterday and every lamppost had a large plastic poppy on it hope the turtles that die due to the additional plastic pollution appreciate they're doing it for The Fallen Lest We Forget.

Comment

I threw some plastic in the bin when on holiday with my brother and family in the summer, and joked about just chucking it in the sea as it was easier. My brother told me I was wrong for even joking about polluting with plastic. I told him I'd seen that programme about ocean plastic and I was doing us a favour otherwise we'd be neck deep in turtles. He then told me I was going to hell. He's a church pastor so he might genuinely think that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post
                                      I went to South West London yesterday and every lamppost had a large plastic poppy on it hope the turtles that die due to the additional plastic pollution appreciate they're doing it for The Fallen Lest We Forget.
                                      Doing it in Stockport too. I didn’t realise that The Fallen Lest We Forget has been extended to include Bikers Who Ran Out Of Luck And Talent.

Comment

Still. I guess it is better than Police: Accident which is an inexplicably popular name for a roadside florist.

Comment

Quite a few houses down Ilkeston canal have replaced their St. George's Cross with the Lest We Forget flag.

Unsurprisingly it's pretty Brexit round here.

Last edited by The-Reverend; 24-10-2018, 14:09.

Comment

There was a packet of Peace Babies in the cupboard last week. When my daughter declared she didn't like them, I firstly denounced her as a traitor to the appropriate authorities and then ate the whole packet to prove my patriotism was unsullied by her SJW snowflake attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post
                                              I'd have thought you would have known that Mold Road is festooned with them every November. Sometimes they can't be arsed taking them down until after Christmas, by which time the sun bleaching will have started turning them a bit pale... not white though - I mean, it's Wales in the autumn.

Comment

BBC NI fulfilling its public service role to inform, educate, and inflame:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football...rthern_ireland

Comment

In which case why not ignore them/ him?

Meanwhile, a senior OTF-er has chided me for insufficiently criticising a KKK stunt outside the Newtownards Mosque. I'd assumed it would be taken as read. Some credit should be given to another of the town's hate figures: Messrs JD Wetherspoon (t/a the Spirit Merchant) threw the Klansmen out without service.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X