No announcement yet.

Stuff You Just Don't Get.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coldplay are significantly bigger than Linkin Park worldwide, including the USA, by pretty much every unit of measurement one might use (including sales of concert tickets which is vastly more important than any other nowadays) and have been for some time - probably including the majority of the “noughties”.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 18-10-2018, 22:15.

Comment

Green Day?

Comment

What's wrong with Green Day?

Comment

I have time for them.

[Not a Good Riddance pun, but could be.]

Comment

I quite enjoyed 'gonzo' Green Day (Dookie, etc), but lost interest once they started adding strings.

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
            Coldplay are significantly bigger than Linkin Park worldwide, including the USA, by pretty much every unit of measurement one might use (including sales of concert tickets which is vastly more important than any other nowadays) and have been for some time - probably including the majority of the “noughties”.
            Certainly since c 2007. However, have a look at Linkin Park's figures for those first three albums (yeah, I know, it's Wikipedia):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linkin_Park_discography

Comment

Yes, I'm very aware of their album sales but they are only one measure of a band's strength and, even by 2007, concert ticket sales are a more important factor for an artist and a better measure of their relative strengths.

If you look on Wikipedia for the two acts tours for 2007 and/or the years around it, as a for instance, Coldplay are selling significantly more tickets across far more markets including the USA.

Linkin Park would be my personal preference between the two by far, but in terms of the business done by the two acts across the differing facets of their career in the decade in question, Coldplay win out.
              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 19-10-2018, 12:28.

Comment

This has no relation to Jim Kerr's actual vocal range.

Comment

Spookily that record is playing in the pub I'm in right now as I opened this post.

Comment

Coldplay have done the Superb Owl halftime show too, which there's very little chance of Linkin Park ever doing - not an exact measure by any means, but it does point to them being thought of as a 'big' act (in American terms).

Comment

I've heard a little bit of Coldplay over the years, and have just listened to a bit of Linkin Park (for the first time ever). I think if I had to listen to either, it would be Coldplay. And that Chris Martin did a spot on The Voice and he seems decent enough. Despite his association with the execrable Gwyneth Paltrow.

Comment

I had no idea that Linkin Park were so big. Their success hadn't even registered in my 'Say What?' department alongside Nickelback's.

There's plenty to dislike about Coldplay but Chris Martin has the gift for knocking out memorable tunes (or nicking them from Kraftwerk). This isn't as much of an entry level requirement for massive bands as you might think; U2 aren't particularly blessed in that department, for example.

Comment

Yes, I'm very aware of their album sales but they are only one measure of a band's strength and, even by 2007, concert ticket sales are a more important factor for an artist and a better measure of their relative strengths.

If you look on Wikipedia for the two acts tours for 2007 and/or the years around it, as a for instance, Coldplay are selling significantly more tickets across far more markets including the USA.

Linkin Park would be my personal preference between the two by far, but in terms of the business done by the two acts across the differing facets of their career in the decade in question, Coldplay win out.
                          I don't have tour figures, so I'll take your word for it, but if you read my previous posts, you'll see that 'overall' I'm concurring that Coldplay have the greater reach - however, there was no comparison in terms of early noughties sales. That was the only criterion for which I was making the claim in favour of Linkin Park - and it's pretty unarguable.

Anyways, time perhaps to talk about a band that I do like.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                            Anyways, time perhaps to talk about a band that I do like.
                            Great singles band, didn't look any sillier than The Rubettes, we shouldn't hold Mike Batt's broader lack of appeal against them?

Comment

Pah - for kicking me out in 1976, they can go swivel.

(And all because I thought a reggae direction was the way forward...)

Comment

Ah, if Coldplay were outselling them on worldwide ticket sales during that decade as well then that nails it and I stand corrected.

Comment

If - for whatever reason - you need to suck all the life and joy and soul out of a room, play Everything But The Girl. You may as replace all the lyrics with "mope, mope, mope, oh woe is me, mope, mope, mope".

Comment

I love EBTG, but it’s odd that Tracey sees herself as a glitterball disco queen or whatever, bopping around the room, when she does indeed sound very mopey even on their best tunes. Even when singing about something happy. The Future of the Future is maybe as happy as it gets.

Comment

Each and Every One was one of the finest singles of the eighties.

One man's 'mope', etc.

Comment

“Single” came on my iPod the other night, from my favourite EBTG album Walking Wounded. The lyrics start off sort of celebrating being single “I feel younger ... louder ...” but then there’s a doomy, almost menacing, “doyouwantmeback” repeated about 100 times. I think she’s brilliant an’all, but fucking hell.

I follow TT on Twitter, apparently she and Ben had a furious row in a restaurant a few weeks back. That’s the stuff of comedy sketches.

Comment

Their books are very good; honest about their career and the dilemma about going mainstream. Their first single was a Cole Porter cover so they can't be accused of going for obvious hits. The #1 was not anticipated AFAIK; it picked up steam from airplay.

Comment

Yes, I couldn't put up with listening to one song of EBTG the whole way through but I am interested in their books.

Comment

I can't imagine reading a musician's book if I were entirely dismissive of their music. (Well, maybe I could - but said artist would need to have a very seductive way with prose.)

Comment

Oh, there have been a few I have read - the Frank Zappa book was a good read and I can't stand a lot of his music. I read the Hollywood Brats book "Sick on you" and didn't listen to their music until after I had finished it. In a way, the whole idea of "Lost In Music" by Giles Smith is that you haven't heard the music although he is more of a writer than a musician really. Ray has bought me a couple of books - 'A Dysfunctional Success' by Wreckless Eric and "Do It For Your Mum" by one of the blokes from British Sea Power - which I am looking forward to reading. I really enjoyed the Motley Crue book "The Dirt" and am not a huge fan of their music.

I often enjoy documentaries about bands or the making of albums even if I don't like the band that much. I could see myself enjoying a good biography of Fleetwood Mac as their story is pretty mental. I just like reading about the nuts and bolts of creating music and being in a band. Actually, it follows through to a lot of creative arts. I have read a couple of actors' blogs that I don't know much of their stuff.

Comment

I'd not see it so much as having to be 'a fan' of the subject's work, as being at least 'familiar' with it, which - given that that his/her music is what made the artist's name - could only help the narrative.

Comment

Oh, I am not saying it is a preferable option just that lack of interest or complete ignorance of the music isn't necessarily a barrier to enjoying the narrative.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X