Tony Hopper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tony Hopper

Carlisle United and Workington Reds player dead at 42 of Motor Neurone Disease.

RIP Hoppy.

I mentioned it on the matchgoing thread but he was part of the Bohemian squad that won the double in 2000/01 season,all that squad are held in high regard by everyone in Dalymount and although I knew he wasn't well it's still a shock
    R.I.P Tony

Comment

Only about 18 months since his diagnosis, bloody hell. Was emotional enough during his tearful appearance on the pitch soon after the news was announced, expecting the minutes applause on Saturday to tug at the heartstrings even more.

Comment

It's the first I have heard of it or, to be honest, him but that is terrible.

Comment

Sad news, as was the diagnosis. He did a lot of work in raising awareness and fund raising locally, and the support from the community reflected the high regard he was held in.

Probably the only professional footballer I have hugged (after the Jimmy Glass goal).

Comment

Devestated for him and his family played for the club through difficult times. Always gave his all RIP Hoppy

Comment

It is an awful condition, it must be devastating to live with for both the victim and their families. I recently heard that ex Blade Luton Shelton has also been diagnosed with this as well. This article from a decade ago suggests that there may be a particular link with football, does anyone know how this theory has developed since this was written? I was aware of the alleged link between heading and brain damage but I hadn't picked up on a higher incidence of motor neurone disease in footballers before.https://www.theguardian.com/football...serieafootball
              Last edited by Glass Half Empty; 13-10-2018, 15:53.

Comment

I'd wondered if there was any sort of link myself given the additional recent announcements relating to Stephen Darby and Lenny Johnrose. Wikipedia says the incidence of MND is 2 or 3 people per 100000.

(As an additional straw in the wind, a guy I knew died in his mid-thirties a couple of summers ago of MND. He was such a prolific goalscorer at Sunday League level that the local paper marked his passing with a full page of coverage in the sports section.)

Comment

Working...
                X