• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
    You're up early.
    I have last night's dinner to thank.

Comment

I have been to NYC, but never to the Empire State Building, Times Square, or the Statue of Liberty. Yes on Central Park.

Comment

I think Sean's logic is correct, the only possible city which everyone will have been to is London.

I've been to Barcelona, but didn't waste my time going to Camp Nou.

Comment

Originally posted by Disco Child Ballads View Post
          Heathrow Airport.
          That's a good shout surely?

Comment

I’ve never been into Italy.

Comment

The Maracana, of course, but I guess less than 10% of us have been there.
              I've been to the one in Beograd, but not the one in Rio. There are also frequent posters here (WOM being the one who comes most immediately to mind) who don't give a toffees about football.

I find the Arc de Triomphe a strange selection for Paris. What does it mean to have "been" there? Do you need to have gone to the observation deck or otherwise inside? Very few Parisians will have done that. Is it sufficient to have seen it from across the road?

Comment

I didn’t even know it had an observation deck.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                  There are also frequent posters here (WOM being the one who comes most immediately to mind) who don't give a toffees about football.
                  I didn't want to mention it - over these past 15 years - but it's actually boring as fuck. Has anyone else noticed that?

Comment

Biscuits are far more important.

Comment

I assume everyone here has been to either France or Spain at least once.

Comment

This thread is going to be a spectacular map of flawed ideas.

I very much doubt there is anywhere everyone has been. If there is it will be something mundane like Schipol or Heathrow (International hub airports). After that you start applying layers of "well of course everyone is interested in what I am" which is a path to disaster.

WOM's path of countries is officially cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by Disco Child Ballads View Post
                          Heathrow Airport.
                          Nope, I've done Gatwick, Stansted and Luton multiple times each but never Heathrow. Yes to Schiphol though.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                            I didn't want to mention it - over these past 15 years - but it's actually boring as fuck. Has anyone else noticed that?
                            And you go to Rush concerts?

Comment

Of the list so far, I've not been to the Colosseum, Camp Nou, Halifax (in either Yorkshire or Nova Scotia), the Maracana (in either Belgrade or Rio) and the observation deck at the Arc de Triomphe.

Comment

Outside of transit hubs, I'd guess our most likely choices are going to be places you can hang about and not pay to get in, like the Champ de Mars or Trafalgar Square or Central Park, maybe Tate Modern.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                  I assume everyone here has been to either France or Spain at least once.
                                  I've never been to Spain. I don't like hot so that rules out countries with a coast on the Mediterranean, apart from France. I ventured into Südtirol once and I could feel myself burning the minute I hopped off the train.

Comment

National Portrait Gallery, or does that count as Trafalgar Square?

Comment

Originally posted by Aitch View Post
                                      Is there anywhere famous that no one has been to?
                                      Death Valley?

Comment

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Green Lanes seeing as half the board used to live "just off Green Lanes" at one time or another. Probably more than have done the Camp Nou stadium tour (?) even.

Anyway dglh is right, we've more or less established by now that the number of places everyone on the board has visited is precisely zero.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                          I find the Arc de Triomphe a strange selection for Paris. What does it mean to have "been" there? Do you need to have gone to the observation deck or otherwise inside? Very few Parisians will have done that. Is it sufficient to have seen it from across the road?
                                          This. I've been to Paris numerous times, but the closest I've got to visiting the Arc de Triomphe is being in a car trying to negotiate the terrifying roundabout that it's in the middle of. I've never been to Rome, so the Coliseum is a strike against. Trafalgar Square, yes, done that one.

Other suggestions:
                                          Nice - nope, but did make it to Cannes.
                                          Isle of Greece - Yes, one of them (Zakynthos) for a week.
                                          Manchester - I went to an open day at the University, so I guess that counts. Didn't see very much of the place, though.
                                          Camp Nou - No. Never visited Barcelona. Hardly even been to Spain, in fact. Probably three days in total.
                                          Golden Triangle - No. Or anywhere else in India. Or indeed Asia.
                                          Angkor Wat - No, see above.
                                          Grand Canyon - No. I've not been to many places in the US, actually. Probably only a handful in total, and not this one.
                                          Tower of London - Yes
                                          Wembley - Yes
                                          Maracana - No. To either.
                                          San Siro - No
                                          Heathrow Airport - Yes
                                          New York City - Yes
                                          Times Square - Yes
                                          Empire State Building - Yes
                                          Central Park - Yes
                                          Statue of Liberty - No. We had tickets, but were too busy getting drunk to use them...
                                          East Berlin - Yes
                                          Vancouver - No
                                          Santorini - No
                                          St. John's - No
                                          Schiphol - Yes
                                          Gatwick - Yes
                                          Stansted - Yes
                                          Luton - Yes
                                          Halifax, Yorkshire or Nova Scotia versions - No
                                          Champ de Mars - Yes
                                          Tate Modern - Yes
                                          Südtirol - Yes
                                          National Portrait Gallery, as a separate thing from Trafalgar Square - No

Offered as negative examples:-
                                          Stonehenge - No. Driven past many times, never stopped.
                                          Edinburgh Castle - No. Did walk up to it, but it was shut.
                                          Hampton Court - Yes
                                          Death Valley - No

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                            we've more or less established by now that the number of places everyone on the board has visited is precisely zero.
                                            If we go geographically big enough* we should find somewhere. So, England? Have any of our overseas posters never been here?

* - Planet Earth is a given.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                              Death Valley?
                                              Been there.

Comment

Oh, I once did this for myself for (modern) English counties. There is one outstanding. And that was an oddity, as it's fairly close to me - Surrey.
                                                My criteria for having visited was setting foot on the ground rather than driving through. That allows me to get Lancashire through stopping, once, at Lancaster Services.

Edit - actually it turns out Surbiton Hockey Club is in Surrey rather than Greater London. So I completed the set as of February last year.
                                                Last edited by Janik; 27-09-2018, 14:09.

Comment

I've slept in Trafalgar Square and used one of the fountain/pond things to operate a bucket (bong-like arrangement) .

Comment

Apart from an afternoon in Tangiers, I've never left Europe. And when I see the photos of Mac n Cheese Burgers and all the rest of the "food" on the Mundane thread, I don't think I ever will.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X