Steam-ing assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steam-ing assistance

I recently got given a Steam gift card for $50.

I have been avoiding Steam for years when I can, but on this occasion will be unable to. I don't play as many games as I used to, and my tastes are quite limited.

I like baseball and driving games. Sport games generally (but not really football). Puzzle games. I play Bejeweled 3 on a regular basis (still). NOT keen on shoot-the-fuck out of everything's, or empire building stuff, although, I have played few.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

I don't know how in-depth you want, but Out Of The Park 18 fulfils all my baseball needs. It's very flexible and goes back to 1871. I just finished downloading a Historical Stadiums mod for it, which I'm looking forward to seeing.

Machinarium is a point-and-click puzzle adventure with lovely design and cute robots. It has a demo too.

Euro Truck Simulator 2 might be the most relaxing driving game there is. Deliver cargoes around Europe. Or the western USA, in American Truck Simulator.

Tennis Elbow 2013 is easily the best tennis game I've played and there is a demo for this too. Concentrates on being a good game rather than getting licences and likenesses.

Oh yeah, Rocket League is ridiculously good fun.
    Last edited by delicatemoth; 27-09-2018, 11:08.

Comment

Give it to someone else as a present.

Comment

Thanks, dm.

Already have OOTP 18. I prefer the actual 'physical' button pushing of other, different baseball games, and have been playing them badly since Sega. I love Football/Champ Manager, but baseball doesn't have the same thrill, in this sphere.

Rocket League is excellent, but I cant give it time to get better. I will have a look at Tennis, because, I fucking adore Virtua Tennis, and have them all.

Sean, if I knew anyone else on there, and if I have change (and there isn't a Rio 16, like a London 2012, which I now can play again) I would, and will.
        Last edited by Gerontophile; 27-09-2018, 21:05.

Comment

Super Mega Baseball is a really good, but very arcadey, button pushy game. Unfortunately when it comes to real baseball the only good option is The Show on PlayStation.

Best puzzle games on Steam are Portal and its sequel. As DM says, Machinarium is also great if you prefer something 2D. It's hard to go wrong with anything from Amanita Design. There are also some great games from Zachtronics, the most accessible being Opus Magnum.

Comment

Driving game wise it really depends what you're after. Arcade/sim, rally/track/open world. What sorts of driving games have you liked on other platforms?

Comment

Not sure if you already know this or not, but Steam have fairly regular sale events (usually Summer and Winter I think). If you're in no rush to get anything, it might be worth your while wishlisting any games you like the look of and waiting for the sales. Older and indie games often get reduced by fairly large amounts - GY's suggestion of Portal is pretty reliably in the sale for 80%-90% off, for example.

Comment

Thanks Gawpus.

Comment

Working...
                X