Instruments that never really caught on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
    Recorder – The Beatles' "Fool On The Hill"?
    I thought similar, so double-checked it yesterday - seems, however, that Fool On the Hill features penny whistle and flute.

Comment

I thought that Noel Gallagher's Holy Mountain single had a recorder on it but that too turned out to be a penny whistle.

Talking of whistles, is there any more sinister character in children's literature than Enid Blyton's Mr Pinkwhistle? Even his name sounds dodgy.

Comment

A recorder does feature towards the end of Oasis's Round Are Way (sic), though - it's quite hard to pick out from the brass and guitars, but I'm sure it's there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfiReadoSmY&t=5m
        Last edited by Kevin S; 27-09-2018, 10:25.

Comment

I've heard neither steel bands or bagpipes for some time—a situation I'm quite happy with.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
            I thought that Noel Gallagher's Holy Mountain single had a recorder on it but that too turned out to be a penny whistle.
            And scissors on another of his tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
              So which instruments have barely (or never) troubled the world of popular music, barring maybe some obscure album tracks?

1. The [B]Bontempi Reed Organ[/B] has never bothered the charts to my knowledge, unless I misheard one as a harmonium
              2. The only example of an [B]ocarina[/B] I can think of is Wild Thing by The Troggs
              3. My only [B]Stylophone[/B] recollections are Space Oddity and Kraftwerk's Pocket Calculator
              4. I quite like the sound of the [B]Philicorda[/B] (a Philips tonewheel organ), but it's barely featured on record

5. I can't think of a single pop act with a recorder player
              6. Donovan's Hurdy Gurdy Man didn't feature a [B]hurdy-gurdy[/B]; neither does any other record I know of.

What's he playing then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1RdofzHets

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                Brian Jones can tick off... mellotron (2000 Light Years From Home, also theremin)
                Has anyone else used one since Tears For Fears went through their psychedelia phase?

Comment

I used to play with a ukulele group and one member had a U-Bass.

The bassist in The Ukulele Orchestra Of Great Britain, whom I've spoken to on several occasions because he turns up at the hut quite often, reckons the bass ukulele is a marketing thing. He plays the bass guitar.

Comment

I saw a punk ukulele orchestra (called The Pukes) once and their bass player used a standard sized bass guitar.

Comment

[QUOTE=wittoner;1477121]
                      So which instruments have barely (or never) troubled the world of popular music, barring maybe some obscure album tracks?

5. I can't think of a single pop act with a recorder player

Recorders were briefly in vogue in the late 60s/early 70s e.g. Mighty Quinn by Manfred Mann , Hitching a Ride by Vanity Fare & Ruby Tuesday by The Rolling Stones

Dion's "Donna the Prima Donna" and "Lazy Sunday" by The Small Faces failed to spark off a Kazoo epidemic (perhaps thankfully)

Godley and Creme's "Gizmo" was touted as the next leap forward at one time but seemed to be quietly shelved.
                      Bowie's All the Madmen features a fair bit of recorder too.

Point of correction. Dion's Little Diane has the kazoo, not Donna. Also the primo use of pop kazoo is Joanie Sommers's Johnny Get Angry.

Comment

"Wasteland" by The Jam was recorder-heavy, wasn't it?

Comment

Belle and Sebastian's 'The Boy with the Arab Strap' has a recorder part.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                            Has anyone else used one since Tears For Fears went through their psychedelia phase?
                            Air's Virgin Suicides soundtrack is chock full of Mellotron. One of the very best recent film soundtracks. Also Radiohead and maybe Stereolab.

Mellotrons are high maintenance machines, with a lot of mechanical components and chemically fragile tape, so not that accessible to many modern acts. Back in the late 70s/early 80s it was easy to pick up leftovers from the prog era, as did OMD or tears for Fears.

Perhaps the most exotic and talismanic electronic instrument is the Ondes Martenot, which were only produced in the early 20th century and are very hard to reproduce due to the mysterious deign features and craftsmanship that made up the main sound controls, only about a hundred instruments remain, and very few musicians have mastered it.

Comment

I've just remembered the Guild Brian May guitar. These have been around since the 80s and I'm yet to see anyone other than Mr May play one.

Comment

Working...
                              X