Keep to the point!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep to the point!

Mundane: Lacking interest or excitement; dull.

Not mundane: significant bereavements or illnesses; births of children.

I know people mean well but posting really significant events in the fastest moving single thread on the board titled mundane means it’s easy to miss. Is there a better way?

As someone who recently broke this rule, I want to apologise for my part in this. I didn't want to start a whole new thread but there wasn't a ready made "Not mundane thread" to use.

Comment

Someone could start a Lifechanging Shit thread.

Comment

Yes, that’d make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
          As someone who recently broke this rule, I want to apologise for my part in this. I didn't want to start a whole new thread but there wasn't a ready made "Not mundane thread" to use.
          Same for me.

I also had a look at what you'd posted. Really sorry to hear about your dad ad hoc, our two experiences of hospital in the last two months have been really poor and have left me unwilling to trust and believe doctors as we've not been told the truth.

Comment

Personally, I would never post on the mundane thread but that is mainly that is because, being me, I think that everything that happens to me is not mundane and deserving of a flagship thread of its own. Also, I have a natural suspicion of those massive threads like the mundane one and the cryptic crossword one.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your troubles, Lang Spoon and Ad Hoc and congratulations to AE.

Comment

The OP misunderstands 'Mundane Thread II'. It's a thread that has organically evolved into a community chat thread where people talk and joke about nothing in particular, petty or major annoyances and joys, rants, soul-baring, as the mood takes them. As if they were actually chatting in a cafe, living room or pub. The title no longer reflects what it is, but remains the origin, so it is regularly referenced with overtly mundane posts similar to threadstarter WOM's original.

A similar thread on Outdoors Magic, an outdoors site (fancy!) I used to frequent, is called 'OM Mini-Meet On Bennachie' and was originally a simple enquiry as to whether anyone fancied a walk on the Aberdeenshire hill. It is 13 1/2 years old with 125,224 replies. Only the first few have anything to do with the proposed meet-up, but Bennachie would often be referred to and quite a few thread regulars were inspired to visit it by their fondness for the community.

Evolving threads like these are among the best things on the net for me. They are in effect years-long conversations that can be participated in by any poster. I don't think they could exist in any other medium than the message board - you couldn't have them in chatrooms for instance, as those are much faster moving.

And people do talk about life-shattering events in a mundane way, all the time, because they are very often mundane. Being born and dying are literally the only things that all humans will experience. Having a separate thread specifically for things deemed 'too important for MTII' (in itself an arbitrary standard that will be interpreted differently by every single poster) seems artificial, and if MTII posters decide to only talk about things that are acceptably trivial then that thread will be much diminished.

If someone thinks that something is seriously noteworthy they can still start a thread about it.

One other thing about MTII - some of the things and events discussed there are of a type where the poster may well not wish their posts to be easily findable by search engines, in case the wrong sort of people should stumble across them and take an unhealthy interest in the poster. I've made posts like that today. Having them buried in a megathread helps with this.

Comment

Profoundly wise post from dm.

Comment

And aren't all threads a bit mundane while we're at it? There's no car chases or explosions in any of them.

Comment

Yes, this:

One other thing about MTII - some of the things and events discussed there are of a type where the poster may well not wish their posts to be easily findable by search engines, in case the wrong sort of people should stumble across them and take an unhealthy interest in the poster. I've made posts like that today. Having them buried in a megathread helps with this.

Comment

What became of Mundane Thread 1, asks a newbie?

Comment

Not just a newbie question--I've wondered that too.

Comment

Lasted three pages in 2008

Comment

I wonder what happened to Morgan.

Comment

And Lyra, and Spangles, and Fussbudget. You, MsD and dm have the run of the place. No big queues for the bog, anyway...

Comment

WOM stole my shtick and claims it's his.

Comment

Fussbudget has posted this very night.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                                    WOM stole my shtick and claims it's his.
                                    My mundanity-related thread bears absolutely no resemblance to your [failed] mundanity-related thread. In fact, despite posting on it an absurd number of times, I have absolutely no evidence that said 'original' thread even exists.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                      Fussbudget has posted this very night.

Oh, well that's good news. I thought her and SW2 had eloped and forsaken the place. Or are they now just posting in oddball spots, like Gramsci in the Sumo thread (FFS)?

Comment

Fussbudget was on the Brexit thread the now

Comment

What Gramsci isn’t even on books now? Course, no one is really on books now
                                          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 22-09-2018, 22:31.

Comment

Either Gramsci has forsaken books or he's forsaken Books. I know which way I'm leaning.

Comment

Speaking of Books, Spangles' is coming out in paperback next month

Comment

If Gramsci is who I think he is, he tweeted about books today.

Comment

Indeed he did

About how after reading 50 books so far this year, his To Read pile has grown.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X