Singers You Mixed Up As A Teenager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Singers You Mixed Up As A Teenager

For some reason, when I was around 14, I put Ian Anderson, Jon Anderson and Ian Hunter in each other's bands. Took me years to straighten out which was which. In the Internet age, I would have fixed it in a few clicks.

I had/have trouble with an overlapping trio: Ian Hunter, Ian Anderson and Ian Asbury.

Extending beyond just singers per se, Mick Ronson and Todd Rundgren. I'm routinely surprised whenever I realise the latter is still alive.

Comment

Jon Anderson and Ian Anderson for me.

Also, I never remember which of Mick, Jon and Mark Ronson had which role, although I'm aware they have very different oeuvres - I just confuse the names.

Comment

I used to get Bruce Springsteen and Rick Springfield mixed up; this would be around 1982/3 when the latter was getting a bit of a push in the UK but before Bruce became massive with Born In The USA.

Comment

Robert Palmer and Billy Joel. Not as a teenager, I still have to think about it.

Comment

Billy Fury and Georgie Fame.

Ian Hunter, Graham Parker and Peter Frampton.

Comment

Johnny Mathis and Johnny Nash.

Comment

Lyn Paul/ Lynsey de Paul

Comment

Not a singer, but I thought Ted Heath the bandleader and Ted Heath the former prime minister were the same person.

Comment

I briefly confused Mott the Hoople and Moby the Dick as a pre-teen

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                      Johnny Mathis and Johnny Nash.
                      Johnny Nash and Johnny Cash.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                        Not a singer, but I thought Ted Heath the bandleader and Ted Heath the former prime minister were the same person.
                        Same here, and what also confused the issue was that the former PM was also a bandleader/conductor.

And also Jerry Lewis and Jerry Lee Lewis.
                        Last edited by Beatle Simon; 22-09-2018, 10:06. Reason: adding more.

Comment

I appreciate they're worlds apart but I still have cognitive issues with Bruno Mars and Ollie Murs. Mainly because I have no interest whatsoever in either of them.

Some of these are utterly bewildering, though. (Ian Astbury and Ian Hunter??)

As I'm sure mine will be to others.

Comment

Jackson Browne and James Taylor. Nothing to do with music, but I had a dislike for one of them for thumping Carly Simon, but it was actually the other one.

Comment

Bobby Darin, Bobby Vee and Bobby Vinton

Rick Valance and Ritchie Valens
                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 22-09-2018, 15:38.

Comment

Totally get those. (One might add Ritchie Havens as well...)

My sister once referred to the Boo Radleys as the 'Bo Diddleys', which I rather liked.

(There's sure to be the inevitable 'Steeleye Span / Steely Dan' transposition, too. But we've kind of done that.)

Comment

Ritchie Valens, Ricky Valence and Ricky Nelson

Bobby Vee, Bobby Vinton, Bobby Darin'

Writers: John Barry and Jeff Barry

Comment

Is the thread about similar names, or not being able to distinguish between songs/appearance of artists?

If the latter then I'd go with Fabian, Frankie Avalon and Bobby Rydell.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                      Jackson Browne and James Taylor. Nothing to do with music, but I had a dislike for one of them for thumping Carly Simon, but it was actually the other one.
                                      The former, right? Who Joni Mitchell calls the only truly evil person she's ever known.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                        The former, right? Who Joni Mitchell calls the only truly evil person she's ever known.
                                        Ok, deep breath.
                                        Taylor chucked Mitchell to go with Simon. Taylor and Simon's marriage was blighted by Taylor's drug-abuse and cheating. Browne and Mitchell were in a relationship, Browne insulted Mitchell onstage and Mitchell accused Browne of hitting her, which resulted in Mitchell attempting suicide (circa early 70s). Browne then met his first wife, who then took her own life in '76. A few years later, Browne was with Daryl Hannah, who accused him of beating her in '92.
                                        Crikey.

Comment

Oh, shit, I'm all confused now. I thought it was Taylor, who apparently had a bad heroin habit when he was with her. But now I see that Browne apparently beat Darryle Hannah, so who knows.
                                          I'll just not support either of them and cover both bases.

Comment

Nick Heyward and Nik Kershaw. Not while they were relevant, not while I was a teenager but I've always had a hell of a time recalling which one was "him from Haircut 100" or "him what wore a snood".

Comment

Dre (Dr. Dre) and Dre (Andre 3000).

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                                Nick Heyward and Nik Kershaw. Not while they were relevant, not while I was a teenager but I've always had a hell of a time recalling which one was "him from Haircut 100" or "him what wore a snood".
                                                Oh yes, these two. I also got them both confused with Paul Young.

Comment

Robert Palmer and Robert Plant.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X