Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is This The Most Middle Class Programme On Television?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a waterproof Bluetooth speaker in the shower.

Comment

But that's so-designed to protect the mechanism. Lots of folk have those. I tend to listen to my iPhone radio player when showering (at distance - the acoustics are good in my bathroom).

A flatmate of mine had a waterproof radio/cassette player back in the day. The sound quality was so abysmal that water damage was the least of its worries.

Comment

My stepmother-in-law has a shower turn-out with lights and music and whatnot that would have had Tony Manero hanging up his dancing shoes through sheer fear. It's a fucker to deal with, though. I once pressed the wrong button and, instead of Radio Stockholm, I got a jet of boiling water that all but separated my genitals from the rest of me.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
          Isn't there a "thing" in Britain, where you can only have pull-string light switches in the bog?
          There is. And it's bloody annoying in some pub or hotel bogs where they have that and right next to it a similar but longer red cord pull one that alerts staff to come rushing in to assist you cos they think you've fallen on the floor. A friend told me.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
            My stepmother-in-law has a shower turn-out with lights and music and whatnot that would have had Tony Manero hanging up his dancing shoes through sheer fear. It's a fucker to deal with, though. I once pressed the wrong button and, instead of Radio Stockholm, I got a jet of boiling water that all but separated my genitals from the rest of me.
            Again, another post that explains so much

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
              Yes, we have sockets in our bathroom, and I honestly cant see the issue with them. I know that people are wet and so on, but it does seem a bit OTT - though of course, electric razors apart, if you don't have washing machines there, there really isn't much of a need for a socket in the bathroom.
              Hairdryers. I hate having to get dressed with my hair still wringing wet and dripping all over the place just so I'm decent enough to go use the hairdryer in the next room (obviously that's only a problem when I'm a guest at someone's place, as I can just go about our own place in the nip.)

Also hair straighteners/curlers, which don't have the wetness problem but require a mirror often only found in the bathroom.

Comment

And of course we've done this before, for example on this thread where I point out that we've done this before.

Comment

A couple of things: no matter how big our house is (which it really isn't), it's bigger than the one I grew up in...and my kids think it's small. But compared to some of the mansions they hang around in, it sure as hell is.

Our house was built in '70 and only had the weak 'electric razor' plug in all the bathrooms. Specifically, built into the light above the sink. I've since put in real outlets with GFCIs.

Allsop's sister did a Toronto-based real estate show for a while. She was ... fine... just not terribly talented.

Comment

I thought all real estate shows were Toronto-based.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                      There is. And it's bloody annoying in some pub or hotel bogs where they have that and right next to it a similar but longer red cord pull one that alerts staff to come rushing in to assist you cos they think you've fallen on the floor. A friend told me.
                      You think that's bad? My bathroom has two virtually identical drawstrings: one for the light switch, the other is something to do with the shower... I don't know the specifics.

Comment

Did we do Fake or Fortune?

Comment

Dunno, but I watch it avidly for the times when the expert opinion is that the artwork under forensic examination is actually a fake. Says more about me than the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                            Hairdryers. I hate having to get dressed with my hair still wringing wet and dripping all over the place just so I'm decent enough to go use the hairdryer in the next room (obviously that's only a problem when I'm a guest at someone's place, as I can just go about our own place in the nip.)

Also hair straighteners/curlers, which don't have the wetness problem but require a mirror often only found in the bathroom.
                            Never thought I'd say this, but: Fussbudget's right. Hairdryers. I dry my hair using a hairdryer. It has to be in the bathroom.

Comment

I sometimes watch the Antiques Roadshow which is properly middle class but it pisses me off when some of them lie through their teeth. There was one recently where someone brought in something worth £1000 to £1200 and said she got it for £2.99 in a charity shop, my immediate reaction was "no you fuckin didn't ".My ex girlfriend works for a charity so I used to help out in one of their shops on a Saturday, the one thing I know is that nothing, especially jewellery, goes out for sale unless it's checked first, they may be charity shops but they don't give things away, same thing happened with an acquaintance who claimed to have got an original Crombie for €20, he was either bullshitting or very lucky.

Comment

He may be telling a half truth without realising it as Crombie used to manufacture their own fabrics which they would retail to smaller local tailors. They in turn would often sew a 'Crombie' label on the inside of the garment next to their own,
                                Last edited by George; 17-01-2019, 20:38.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                  My ex girlfriend works for a charity so I used to help out in one of their shops on a Saturday, the one thing I know is that nothing, especially jewellery, goes out for sale unless it's checked first, they may be charity shops but they don't give things away
                                  All the best stuff goes on eBay - take it from someone who handles the listings for a local BHF store. There's probably someone in the national processing centre in Leeds that's sick of my emails.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6zNwBTLSWU

The Flower Pot Men, which I used to love as a kid. What more middle class than this? Though...something got my curiosity when watching the above clip just now. The very middle-class narrator with the standard BBC voice of the time - 1953 - refers to the gardener going inside to have his dinner. Not lunch but dinner. At midday (implied) so there's no chance of it being confused with the evening meal. So...did southerners in those days not use the word lunch...or am I reading too much into this?

Comment

The gardener was serf class, so wouldn’t have said “lunch”.

Comment

I'm going to resurrect this old thread to state, unashamedly, that I love The Repair Shop, only having watched my first episode a few days ago. Personable craftspeople expertly restoring much-loved family heirlooms for their hugely grateful owners. Wonderful. The stories attached to the damaged objects are often fascinating and, for an OCD-ish individual like myself, the cleaning and refurbishment is incredibly satisfying!

Comment

Oh gawd yes, full agreement here NS. I didn't 'get' it to start with and didn't watch the first series or two, but then caught an episode the other month belatedly and loved it. It's a lovely programme full of kind, talented people doing brilliant, low-key things. I only wish there was a bit less 'story' and a bit more time to watch the actual cleaning and refurbishment.

Comment

Heh, having gone through the thread, I've discovered Alderman Barnes expressed pretty much the same thought 18 months ago:

Originally posted by Alderman Barnes View Post
                                            To go back to the original post, I liked the Repair Shop, but would have liked it a lot more if they'd had less of the customers tearfully taking back their possessions, and more of the craftspeople just repairing the stuff. That part of it was fascinating, but I suppose they have to crowbar human interest into everything now. I'm not interested in humans. I want to see someone mending a steam engine or gluing a pot together. Why can't they just show that?

Comment

Yes, absolutely agree. I'd like to see them tweak the balance but it's probably par for the course for such programmes.

Oh, and if I survive COVID-19, I'm going to try to get to the Weald and Downland Living Museum (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weald_..._Living_Museum) where they film the series and which looks really interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                                I only wish there was a bit less 'story' and a bit more time to watch the actual cleaning and refurbishment.
                                                I feel the BBC have had to put that in there to give it a USP over watching someone on YouTube restoring stuff.

Comment

Oh, agreed, I know it's inevitable. And the programmes are an hour(?) long now, whereas they started at half an hour, so there's a more leisurely pace altogether these days and that includes more time spent introducing the artifact and its backstory each time.

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                                  Oh, and if I survive COVID-19, I'm going to try to get to the Weald and Downland Living Museum (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weald_..._Living_Museum) where they film the series and which looks really interesting.
                                                  I feel it's probably safe to admit at this point that I was looking the place up on Google Maps last week and trying to identify the barn they use from the satellite view. (I couldn't, by the way.)

Comment

Yes, add me to the list of people who love The Repair Shop. It was my son who discovered it and now we watch it together, along with Lego Masters and The Great Model Railway Challenge.

My mum and dad have got a broken barometer with quite a backstory and I've been thinking for ages I should try and find out how to get it on the programme. The link is here, for anyone else interested:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/...he-repair-shop

Comment

Working...
                                                    X