Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is This The Most Middle Class Programme On Television?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sits View Post
    This I learned today: jdsx is a professional violinist.
    "It's a tough life, but somebody's got to do it...." (sorry forgot to check the thread for a while)

Comment

I always remember him for woodcraft and suchlike. And his pipe, of course.

Comment

As well as the violin? Is there no end to jdsx's talents?

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
          Jack Hargreaves making sock puppets?

I thought his role on the show was to demonstrate weird and obsolete gadgets or explain low-level physics to the yout'.
          Jon Miller was the science bloke. Jack Hargreaves did horse brasses, fishing flies and other country stuff (including weird and obsolete country-related gadgets). Fred Dinenage's daughter is a Tory MP which is really disappointing.
          Last edited by Capybara; 25-09-2018, 12:25.

Comment

So where does that leave Bunty?

Actually, that name alone elevates How into the upper-middle-class bracket straight off the bat.

Comment

I went to school with a girl named Bunty. Title of a comic as well.

Comment

Treasure Hunt, Crystal Maze

Comment

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post
                  I went to school with a girl named Bunty. Title of a comic as well.
                  Yes, my sister read that. And also Bunty Picture Library - which, as far as I could work out, was sort of a 'war stories'-digest but with horses and ballet instead of guns.

Comment

Scares 'n' suspense title Misty is the girls' comic with retro cred. 2000AD have taken to bringing out Hallowe'en special editions.

I have never met a person called Misty. More than one cat though and Jane Weaver used to have a band called Misty Dixon.

Comment

In the early 1950s, only the upper middle class could afford TVs so the whole schedule was totally for that group. See very early Andy Pandy, for example.

Comment

One of my best friends in graduate school was named Misty. On her birth certificate and everything.

Comment

Oh god there was a SoCal Misty I knew in Spain. Fucking hell, a walking stereotype. Her (millionaire property developer, but thick as a brick)dad came over with a load of joints that he managed to lose in the airport toilets on arrival. Nice but irritatingly stupid as fuck, that family. All jimmy Buffett fans.

Comment

Were your friend's parents jazz fans, ua? The song is the first cultural reference point that comes to mind.

Comment

The answer is Bake Off, with it's chintzy, straight-backed, Cath Kidston fascism. The Daily Mail and Cotswolds Life of TV programmes. Cakes, afternoon tea, the Empire, bunting, ethnic minorities slaving away to make bread for well-spoken white people before being told they aren't good enough. I'll also accept Masterchef, which, I think, is pretty much the same programme without being so obviously fash.

Blue Peter was always a good indicator of class at school. I thought it was boring shite. For loads of kids it was all they were allowed to watch. "Make Tracy Island out of left-over Waitrose cereal boxes and Observer colour supp papier mache..." How about we go outside, throw rocks at pigeons, and just pretend we did, you nauseatingly cheerful, dungaree wearing, trampolining, genericly-faced cunt. And you've got a Blue Peter badge have you? Because you sent a Christmas Card in made out of Fuzzy Felts and you did a bring and buy sale for Africa with all your old toys you don't need any more because you've got loads of new ones? How very nice for you. Now give me your dinner money you little swot, and I'll be taking those Ewoks off you come toy day.
                              Last edited by EIM; 26-09-2018, 11:46.

Comment

TV is for softies. Real lads are all about cross country running and eating chips.

Comment

I was always amazed by how small and pointy Alf Tupper's feet were.

Comment

Now that you mention it, they are rather dainty. But that's Alf for you, able to overcome any obstacle through a mixture of grit, determination and deep fried carbs.

Comment

He'd have a field (well, 'track') day over on Mundane II at the moment.

Mind you, back in Alf T's time, a double order of chips would've constituted 'two veg'.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                        One of my best friends in graduate school was named Misty. On her birth certificate and everything.
                                        And of course, there is the lovely Misty Hyman.

Comment

Known a fair few Mistys here in
                                          the US. One was a lawyer named Misty Rainey. Another was a judge named Misty Cadwallader.

And I defended a stripper named Misty.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                            Were your friend's parents jazz fans, ua? The song is the first cultural reference point that comes to mind.
                                            The first thing I thought of as well. Literally nothing about singing is as easy as Ella Fitzgerald made it seem. I must say though that you wouldn't need to be a jazz fan. Johnny Mathis sold 2 million copies of this song in the US in 1959, and was definitely crossover by that point. he sounded a bit more like a young Nat King Cole than anything else.
                                            Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 26-09-2018, 23:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                                              And of course, there is the lovely Misty Hyman.
                                              Maybe it's just me, but she sure picked an evocative logo to separate her first and last names on that website.

Comment

Hmm, now you mention it...

Comment

That reminds me - a colleague brought in some biscuits the other week called Navettes de Provence.

Apparently they are shaped like a boat (a navette, in fact) but they looked rather more anatomical than that to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                                    Jack Hargreaves making sock puppets?

I thought his role on the show was to demonstrate weird and obsolete gadgets or explain low-level physics to the yout'.
                                                    Jack Hargreaves was the real number one.

Bunty James was 2, Fred Dinenage 6, and Jon Miller was the butler.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X