Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is This The Most Middle Class Programme On Television?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is This The Most Middle Class Programme On Television?

The Repair Shop.

Not Grand Designs. I can't be the only one who hopes it all goes hideously wrong.

Comment

There was some shit on recently about up-cycling or re-purposing old things, where the presenter was trying to take all the credit for these creations and the 'value I'm adding' or somesuch, when all the work was usually done by a bloke in a workshop.

Can't remember who it was or what it was called, but best avoided.

Comment

Is it presented by Lucy Worsley? If yes then, in response to the thread title, possibly though it will have to go some to beat her talking excitedly about what dresses long dead royals wore. If someone else is helming it, then no, it isn't.

Comment

Ah, found it. "Money For Nothing" apparently! I'd prefer the title The Labour Theory Of Value, perhaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKYSksGFwhE

Comment

There are a fair few seventies BBC sitcoms that might vie for the title of 'most middle-class programme ever'.

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
            Not Grand Designs. I can't be the only one who hopes it all goes hideously wrong.
            Ditto. Unless I'm very much mistaken, that has happened once or twice, no? (I don't really watch it, see...)

Comment

I love 'The Repair Shop'. The episode when they repaired the lady's grandmother's violin - that she had while being imprisoned in Auschwitz - was phenomenal.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                Unless I'm very much mistaken, that has happened once or twice, no? (I don't really watch it, see...)
                There was an episode with as houseboat that didn't go very well and some years later the boat was found abandoned somewhere along the Thames estuary.

While The Repair Shop may tick the boxes for current middle class obsessions with shabby chic and upcycling, it has hardly knocked Today At Wimbledon right off its fucking perch yet.

Comment

The all-time winner in this category is Ask the Family

Comment

Surely there's space here for Country House Rescue?

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
                      I love 'The Repair Shop'. The episode when they repaired the lady's grandmother's violin - that she had while being imprisoned in Auschwitz - was phenomenal.
                      Thanks for that VT. Never ever heard of 'The Repair Shop' before, but just watched that episode and it is indeed remarkable. As a professional violinist, I've seen/heard a few stories of instruments which have undergone some interesting journeys, but not, perhaps, on the scale of being played in Auschwitz... Reminds me of The Mozart Question by Michael Morpurgo....my kids used to love asking me to read it to them because I simply couldn't get through it without shedding some tears....

Comment

This I learned today: jdsx is a professional violinist.

Comment

A good number of cooking programmes are sickeningly middle class. Nigel Slater, Nigella Lawson, Mary bloody Berry. All their delicious ingredients from local delis and farmer's markets and health food shops. None of these fucks have ever been near a fucking Aldi or a Lidl.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                            Is it presented by Lucy Worsley? If yes then, in response to the thread title, possibly though it will have to go some to beat her talking excitedly about what dresses long dead royals wore. If someone else is helming it, then no, it isn't
                            I'm a (briefly) ex-colleague of LW's and my friend Karen teaches at her old school. Which is well regarded academically but not posh. Lucy was bullied there for her slight speech impediment

Comment

Originally posted by Haddock View Post
                              The all-time winner in this category is Ask the Family
                              Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                A good number of cooking programmes are sickeningly middle class. Nigel Slater, Nigella Lawson, Mary bloody Berry. All their delicious ingredients from local delis and farmer's markets and health food shops. None of these fucks have ever been near a fucking Aldi or a Lidl.

This. I’d like to see food poverty addressed properly outside of Dawn Foster articles and some not great Jack Monroe recipes. Nowt on tv but. Instead we get Jamie Oliver blaming the fatties again.

Comment

Did Blue Peter ever get beyond being for middle-class kids only? I suppose John Noakes had some Kershaw-like qualities, both good or bad.

Comment

I was a Blue Peter fan as a kid and I like Lucy Worsley now so that must make me as middle class as the Famous Five

Comment

Back to the cooking thing, that's a noticeable issue with the poorest families. They, generally, can't cook. They, generally, have very little understanding of how to prepare food and they stick to what they know. Kebabs from the shop. Microwave dinner. What mum used to do before she passed (at 49 from a combination of diabetes complications, COPD and the embolism she got from smoking). Add in how hard it is to feed a family on benefits and it's a vicious cycle that is already killing the next generation of poor children.

Comment

It's not the solution to the problem mentioned above, but one of my favourite challenges I ever saw on Top Chef was when they had to create a decent meal solely from ingredients they could get in a petrol station shop. I don't think they ever repeated it - I don't think because it was poverty tourism, either. I don't really know why they didn't do it.

I always found the Jamie Oliver style of cooking to be deeply annoying when I watched it: go to a farmers market and spend an absolute shit ton on fantastic quality ingredients, then don't overcook them. I mean, it's good advice if you can afford the 50 quid for your lamb, but it's not very helpful for the larger public.

Comment

There's an element to all these shows that's aspirational. And a lot of them are just meant to be entertaining. I watch Bake Off. I'm not going to start making my own bread.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                            Did Blue Peter ever get beyond being for middle-class kids only? I suppose John Noakes had some Kershaw-like qualities, both good or bad.
                                            Come off it. Blue Peter (in it's 60s/70s heyday anyway) was for everyone. Magpie was the trendy middle class show.
                                            That's why Blue Peter never asked for money for their Christmas appeals but stuff like Milk Bottle tops so the poorest kids could join in.

Magpie just asked for cash.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                                              Yes.
                                              Make a strong case for "As Time Goes By."

Comment

I remember watching an edition of How on the other channel and Jack Hargreaves explained how to make a sock puppet. "Take a pair of socks your mother has rolled up in your sock drawer and .." I didn't have a sock drawer and my mother didn't roll up my socks. It was at that moment I realized I wasn't middle class enough to watch ITV.

Comment

Jack Hargreaves making sock puppets?

I thought his role on the show was to demonstrate weird and obsolete gadgets or explain low-level physics to the yout'.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X