No announcement yet.

Your personal football project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm trying to steer a long-running football fanzine to at least it's 100th issue.

It often feels like I am doing so for my own amusement.

Comment

Currently researching and writing a football book, probably a few days away from completing a year of research, will then just need to start writing the text, working out the design and everything that comes after.

A labour of love, very time consuming and all means I don't have time to watch any actual football..

Comment

I don't have one. I had a chat with Lee Martin at the cup final, and I speak to Brian McClair fairly regularly. Maybe I could try and have a talk with all the Manchester United goalscorers from FA Cup finals in the 1990s? This seems a lot of effort though so I probably won't bother. Nice that you've all got hobbies though. Stick at it, kids!

Comment

How are you going to speak to eric cantona? You'd just lose the run of yourself and gibber, which is fair enough. But still represents a challenge.

Comment

I've met him. I lost the run of myself and failed to even gibber.

Comment

I've still not completed my reading of the 1974-75 edition of Rothman's Yearbook.

Comment

I prefer the 76-77 edition, mainly for the surprise ending. SPOILER ALERT: "Women's Football Association--Miss P. Gregory, 7, Mayfield Road, London, N8"

Comment

I can't even begin to explain the insanity of my connection to this thread topic. I'll give a brief (for me) response, though. In 2006 I read The Thinking Fan's Guide to the World Cup that came out just before the WC. The book is hit and miss (with some really good hits but mostly misses). The intro or forward featured a story about watching WC 70 on VHS. I thought to myself, "That might be pretty fun," and I sold a surfboard on ebay that had been sitting in closet at my parents' house in Los Angeles. I that money to buy WC DVDs from 1970. After I had those DVDs I realized I could then trade copies of games with other collectors to complete that tournament. I thought that would be that. We're 12 years later and I am now roughly 20,000 DVD/HD files into a collection and am trading games every day with people all over the world, which is actually the most enjoyable part of this hobby. If only I hadn't purchased that book....

Comment

Introducing the concept of a Football Working Group to a football club - getting there.

Getting the Palestinian national team over to the UK - a vague sniff at it.

Raising the profile of the horrendous story of the Chagossians (and the US/UK's involvement in their plight) through publicising their national team - an iota of success.

Playing in/against a national team of, literally, any level - never giving up.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                      Playing in/against a national team of, literally, any level - never giving up.
                      How about that for a 'thon? OTF England v OTF The Rest

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                        I can't even begin to explain the insanity of my connection to this thread topic. I'll give a brief (for me) response, though. In 2006 I read The Thinking Fan's Guide to the World Cup that came out just before the WC. The book is hit and miss (with some really good hits but mostly misses). The intro or forward featured a story about watching WC 70 on VHS. I thought to myself, "That might be pretty fun," and I sold a surfboard on ebay that had been sitting in closet at my parents' house in Los Angeles. I that money to buy WC DVDs from 1970. After I had those DVDs I realized I could then trade copies of games with other collectors to complete that tournament. I thought that would be that. We're 12 years later and I am now roughly 20,000 DVD/HD files into a collection and am trading games every day with people all over the world, which is actually the most enjoyable part of this hobby. If only I hadn't purchased that book....
                        That's genuinely amazing, daniel. I'm presuming you haven't somehow found 20,000 videos just of WC 2006 games (every commentary from the entire globe, perhaps) but instead have extended your quest beyond the original remit somewhat...?

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                          That's genuinely amazing, daniel. I'm presuming you haven't somehow found 20,000 videos just of WC 2006 games (every commentary from the entire globe, perhaps) but instead have extended your quest beyond the original remit somewhat...?
                          The original plan was WC 70 on DVD. I'm way beyond that, although there are some games from that tournament that don't currently exist with English commentary. And in the case of West Germany-Morocco all that exists is a German broadcast that is missing time at the end because the German TV outlet lost the satellite feed from Mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                            I don't have one. I had a chat with Lee Martin at the cup final, and I speak to Brian McClair fairly regularly. Maybe I could try and have a talk with all the Manchester United goalscorers from FA Cup finals in the 1990s? This seems a lot of effort though so I probably won't bother. Nice that you've all got hobbies though. Stick at it, kids!

Hang on. I also had a chat with Norman Whiteside when he was buying a round that was essentially pints of red wine. We discussed how good it was when he went in late on Steve McMahon at Anfield when we were 3-1, and a man, down. United ended up drawing 3-3 and Strachan smoked an imaginary cigar in front of the Kop. Whiteside got the winner in the 1985 FA Cup final, so a Cup Final project really is underway here.

That United kit, adidas, white with red trim, black shorts, well it was beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQuqsQMB_90

Comment

Originally posted by colchestersid View Post
                              Currently researching and writing a football book, probably a few days away from completing a year of research, will then just need to start writing the text, working out the design and everything that comes after.

A labour of love, very time consuming and all means I don't have time to watch any actual football..
                              It's worth it, even though I've bored the arse off everyone on here and in real life with mine.

Next one out later this year folks. Who wouldn't be taken in 'Things Can Only Get Better: Bury's mid-90s rise under Stan Ternent'? Like you, it's meant I missed the bulk of the best World Cup in a generation and I've forsaken Bury in 2017/18 for Bury in 1997 (which is no bad thing).

Comment

11 January was a blank day in my book of days until this year! Next Saturday is blank too so I might cross off two days this month. I think I ticked off 6 or 7 new days last year.

Comment

I'd done well in March. 2 blank days no longer blank. Was due to tick off two more blank days this weekend as well. That fucking virus!!

Comment

So, going to football is possible again and 3 games into the new season I've got entries on 2 previously blank days in my book.

Comment

I'd quite like to tick off 1000 grounds. On 714 currently, so could probably manage it in 5 or 6 seasons. Ticked off 56 last season, a lot of them way down the pyramid admittedly.

Comment

Friday night saw me tick off another date in my project. February is looking pretty good now and if I get to games I'm planning on going to, I will tick off another couple of days by the end of the month.

Comment

I wish I'd done this for the games I went to as a kid

https://twitter.com/TonyIncenzo/status/1629432490468204545?t=kV5s6w93-GZekLcGgaZSOQ&s=19

Comment

Oh probably something to do with the "golden age of floodlights", you know, proper ones on pylons, not just bulbs bolted onto stand roofs - but that's already been done in far greater detail and competence than I could ever hope to achieve

Comment

That ledger is outstanding and also displays handwriting strikingly similar to my own at the sane age, which I had thought to be idiosyncratic.

Was Hendon clearly QPR at the time? I would have thought it might be oriented more towards Nprth London.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                                Does Incenzo still do that weird thing of liking every single tweet relating to football ever tweeted?

Comment

Isn’t there controversy about the legitimacy of Incenzo’s numbers? I vaguely remember seeing a groundhopper on Twitter questioning that.

Comment

I used to do something like that in a school exercise book when I was a kid, but went a fair bit further than Incenzo – I'd write out the full line-ups and also draw a little plan of the ground with a mark where I'd watched the game from. Don't think I kept it going for many years so there wouldn't be a huge amount of content, but I'd love to see those books again if I still have them. Will have to have a root around my old wardrobe next time I'm back at the Mothership.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X