No announcement yet.

Anyone spot themselves in these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh. She always struck me as a snob. But maybe a different kind of snob than I thought. Or maybe I'm just prejudiced because of her accent.

Comment

All of those things sound true.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
        I have needed a dinner jacket once in my life, for a wedding. I rented one, obviously. I genuinely don't ever encounter events that require them.
        Oddly, I've needed (or, more accurately, used) an actual suit and tie even less frequently than a dinner jacket.

Comment

I bought a nice blue suit for my wedding. I never wore it again. I finally gave it away.

Comment

I need to get at least one sport coat. The ones I have are now too big for me. I wish I saved the ones I had when I was this size before.

Comment

It's funny how different American and British English are in this area. "Sport coat" is an unknown expression in the UK as far as I know. But I remember vividly the only previous time I've encountered the term, namely about 35 years ago in a book of Peanuts cartoons, when Linus foolishly gives his security blanket to Snoopy to look after, and Snoopy makes a "sport coat" out of it.

Comment

It doesn't really mean anything, though.

For example, these all qualify, but then so does a Harris Tweed jacket or a navy blue blazer.

Comment

I stand to be corrected by anyone who pays more attention to clothes than I do (i.e. anyone), but I believe the British equivalent is "sports jacket", and that the distinction between "sports jacket" and "blazer" is only that the latter generally connotes some sort of institutional colours, e.g. a school blazer, a club blazer etc.

Comment

Those are the sport coats Reed wishes he'd hung on to...

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
                      A little earlier. his is Nina Mary Benita Douglas-Hamilton (née Poore), Duchess of Hamilton, photographed in 1926. Wife of the 13th Duke of Hamilton.

Good god, By carefully lighting the picture so it looks like she has five O'Clock shadow and enormous eyebrows, he's managed to make her look like Adam Driver playing Charley's Aunt.

Her wiki page has a considerably kinder picture.

Her husband seems to be a case study in the early twentieth century decline of the great estates.
                      Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 17-09-2018, 20:36.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                        Do they happen at places like Durham and St Andrews?)
                        I went to the Kate Kennedy ball and my Grad Ball at St Andrews, had to get down the suit hire shop and sort myself out with a DJ on both occasions. The KK Ball had a reputation as 'the event' back then (1999) and I guess that is still the case today. Can't remrmber exactly what the KK Society did/stood for ot whatever, and tickets were on general sale so it wasn't a case of doing the triple Masonic arse-tickle to get on the guest list. Was just a good night out with mates, wouldn't ascribe anything more to it than that.
                        The Grad Ball was great, fantastic night out to celebrate the end of five years in St Andrews. It went on into the wee small hours and, StA being that far north, went for a walk along the beach at 5am, watching the sun rise and feeling the hangover start to creep up on me, realising that this was it and I had to be back in Hayes and working at the Excelsior in two days' time. Arse.

Comment

What the Kate Kennedy society does.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                            I stand to be corrected by anyone who pays more attention to clothes than I do (i.e. anyone), but I believe the British equivalent is "sports jacket", and that the distinction between "sports jacket" and "blazer" is only that the latter generally connotes some sort of institutional colours, e.g. a school blazer, a club blazer etc.
                            This is more or less my experience. Calling it a “coat” as opposed to a jacket may be a midwesternism I picked up from my parents. But I’ve heard both and they’re interchangeable.

I thought the only thing that made a jacket a blazer is that it had shiny buttons, but the origin of the term was brightly colored jackets worn by rowing clubs, etc.

As a kid, I was always confused by the expression “sports jacket” because I couldn’t imagine a garment less-suited to wearing while playing sports which, to me, meant baseball, football, basketball, hockey, and soccer. Of course, I didn’t understand the history of upper-class sporting pursuits.

Either way, I’m referring to a jacket that is cut pretty much the same as the jacket for a suit but isn’t part of a suit.

Comment

Working...
                            X