Kevin Beattie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kevin Beattie

Unfortunately has died today. Very sad news.

Very sad indeed. RIP.

Comment

Just awful

Comment

Carlisle born and bred and something of a local hero, those a bit older than me will always maintain he was the best player that the city ever produced. Ipswich had a scout in the area in the 1970s and signed several local lads, some made it and some didn't. Beattie of course was one of England's great lost hopes of the terrible decade for the national team, promising career destroyed by injuries.

Comment

He was scouted by Liverpool initially and turned up at Lime Street Station from Carlisle. Unfortunately no fucker from Anfield arranged to meet him and he got the next train back to Carlisle. Shankly absolutely lost his rag at this fuck-up and the rest is now history.

He was an exceptional defender and his performance in the FA Cup Final of 1978 was truly astonishing when you consider he was only about 50/60% fit.

Comment

Terribly sad news, an absolutely superb footballer.

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
            Ipswich had a scout in the area in the 1970s and signed several local lads, some made it and some didn't.
            Aye, David Geddis was another wasn’t he.

Comment

And Steve McCall and less famously Robin Turner.

Comment

Kevin Beattie was the first New Duncan Edwards that I can recall.

Comment

Only nine caps; deserved far more. One of the best English players of his era, especially among those who never won a league title or played in an FA Cup final. Victim of a brutal era too of too many games on crap pitches.

Comment

Beattie played in (and collected a winner's medal from) the 1978 Cup Final, as WFD states upthread.

RIP - good player.

Comment

Bollocks that's so sad. A really good player who could and should have won more caps and been a mainstay of the national team.

Comment

Don Revie said he was the best player in the country. RIP.

Comment

RIP indeed from a childhood Town fan.

Comment

So sad to hear this.

Kevin Beattie was my absolute idol. I was at Old Trafford when he made his debut in 1972. I was nine. Along with my Dad (and every now and again Mum) we used to follow Ipswich all around the joint. Beattie was an astonishing player. I know it is a cliche nowadays but all those years ago my Dad used to tell me of the finest player he'd ever seen - Manchester United's Duncan Edwards. Long before it was trendy Dad had annointed The Tank as Edwards' natural successor.

A tremendous left foot, fantastic in the air and so, so quick, Beattie was happy at home in central defence or as a left back. In the modern era he might well have been one of the best wing-backs ever.

There are so many memories: the run and finish against West Ham, the thunderous strike against West Brom in the 7-0 (bizarrely not even the best goal in that game), his comeback goal against Aris Salonika in the UEFA Cup and a famous fluke goal from the halfway line. Then there was the snowball fight he had with the groundsmen as he came out for the second half of a match. Injury cruelled his career but he still provided so many moments of magic.

I've been lucky enough to meet and even work with many great players over the years but I only ever asked one for a selfie. Thanks for the memories Kevin. RIP.
                            Last edited by Uncle Ethan; 17-09-2018, 04:47.

Comment

https://twitter.com/posthumusrogers/status/1041348799191506945

Comment

Was it Beattie who once scored a free-kick taken a few yards inside the opposition half (v Southampton, I think, as I recall goalkeeper Eric Martin looking embarrassed)?

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                  Beattie played in (and collected a winner's medal from) the 1978 Cup Final, as WFD states upthread.

RIP - good player.
                                  Apologies. Was mixing it up with the 1981 UEFA Cup Final, which he missed due to injury and for which he only received a medal much later.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                                    There are so many memories: the run and finish against West Ham, the thunderous strike against West Brom in the 7-0 (bizarrely not even the best goal in that game), his comeback goal against Aris Salonika in the UEFA Cup and a famous fluke goal from the halfway line. Then there was the snowball fight he had with the groundsmen as he came out for the second half of a match. Injury cruelled his career but he still provided so many moments of magic.

I've been lucky enough to meet and even work with many great players over the years but I only ever asked one for a selfie. Thanks for the memories Kevin. RIP.
                                    Nice tribute, UE.

I go from sadness to anger when reading the Beattie obituaries: living post-career in circumstances which were modest at best, and suffering from what today would be medical/professional negligence while he was playing. He was also very unlucky with his timing, a few years later England could have done with him at World Cups 82-90, as opposed to the ones they missed in the '70s when he was at his peak. In another universe, he tackles Maradona and Fenwick is watching on TV.

An all-time great, no exaggeration.

Comment

It does seem that England had more depth in the 70s and that that generation was unlucky to be drawn against two sides who proved themselves to be in the world Top 4 (Poland, Italy) under fading managers. Look at the defenders Robson had to choose from 1986: piss-poor. Fenwick should have been sent off v Argentina for an elbow on Maradona.
                                      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 18-09-2018, 20:04.

Comment

Extracts from his autobiography are being serialised by the Carlisle News and Star

Comment

Working...
                                        X