No announcement yet.

"Tampons"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolutely certain, FF. Absolutely certain.

Comment

Yeah, I agree FF.

Scotland has a law against upskirting. In unrelated news, kilts are just tartan skirts.

Comment

That's probably a measure to protect the health of upskirters. it wouldn't be a pastime without risk in glasgow.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
          This question comes up a lot, for some reason. And I think it's uniquely (and quite oddly) political. Why should tampons be free? The usual answer is 'they're a necessity...women can't help but need them'. So, okay, but lots of other things are a necessity...and we charge for them. Toilet paper for starters. And, you know, food. And water. Medicines. Shoes, even. But to say 'of course you should charge for tampons' is like the third rail of some conversations. If you say 'yes, of course' then you - for some reason I can't quite understand - apparently just don't get it.
          Toilet paper is not a necessity. Millions of people around the world get by perfectly well using water. I did the same myself for five years.

Comment

The inequality thing that pisses me off most: the line for women’s washrooms. Men breeze in and out. Women have to line up fifteen deep. Nuts.

Comment

Yeah, see...you shit with abandon just coz it’s free.
              Don't start.

Comment

The inequality thing that pisses me off most: the line for women’s washrooms. Men breeze in and out. Women have to line up fifteen deep. Nuts.
                Don't start.

Comment

it takes next to no time. Particularly if you don't care about aiming....

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                    it takes next to no time. Particularly if you don't care about aiming....
                    "We aim to please. You aim too, please."

Comment

When my wife worked at the IGA (Canadian supermarket chain) her (male) boss was approached by a customer.

"Where are your tampax?" he was asked.

He misheard her and thought she said 'tintacks'...

"What type are you looking for?" he replied. "The ones you push in with your thumb, or bang in with a hammer."

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                        Toilet paper isn't free; neither are nappies. What makes tampons special?
                        All such basic items should be made available to those in need - not 'everybody'. I'm happy to pay for loo roll and razor blades because I can afford to do so - this then supports the industry and should enable basics to be made available where needed.

The thread is 'about' tampons/sanitary towels - that's why they're at the fore here.

I'm guessing that part of the issue here is that cubicles take up way more space than urinals. I agree it's ridiculous, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                          Shaving isn't really something that you have to do though, which is where this comparison disintegrates.

If men had to have mammograms, I promise you that we would universally be using an MRI-type scanner instead of having our tits smashed between two cold metal plates.
                          That didn't cross my mind during my last prostate examination.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                            I'm guessing that part of the issue here is that cubicles take up way more space than urinals. I agree it's ridiculous, however.
                            The queues for women's loos remain a feature even at theatres that have recently been refurbished, often at great expense, such as the Royal Opera House. It is hard to escape the conclusion that adequate facilities aren't seen as a priority when redevelopment plans are drawn up, despite being a basic prerequisite for relaxation and enjoyment of an event.

Comment

Exactly. It’s hardly an unsolvable problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                                Shaving isn't really something that you have to do though, which is where this comparison disintegrates.

If men had to have mammograms, I promise you that we would universally be using an MRI-type scanner instead of having our tits smashed between two cold metal plates.
                                I rather roll my eyes at this continuing non-quantifiable 'if men...' stuff abounding, but - while I accept that the latter looks brutal - it also rather leaves me in this day and age wondering why women haven't suggested or invented a better way of doing it.

Viz the 'shaving' comment, if you read what I said, no, it isn't a direct parallel - but it can be applied to the 'if men...' smokescreen. (There was a supposed opportunity not taken.) Don't get me wrong, of course I agree that men have been arseholes over the centuries - but I don't think constantly flagging up biological impossibilities is helpful in what should be a discussion about basic human rights and necessities.

Comment

Men are arseholes, is more the point, really.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Casper View Post
                                    When my wife worked at the IGA (Canadian supermarket chain) her (male) boss was approached by a customer.

"Where are your tampax?" he was asked.

He misheard her and thought she said 'tintacks'...

"What type are you looking for?" he replied. "The ones you push in with your thumb, or bang in with a hammer."
                                    Last time I heard that joke the chap misheard tampax as thumbtacks.

Comment

The joke 'is' (or should be) thumb tacks, yes.

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                      Men are arseholes, is more the point, really.
                                      'Have been over the centuries' clearly includes 'are' - I just don't see it as the overriding issue here.

Comment

That didn't cross my mind during my last prostate examination.
                                        I didn't think about men's prostate examinations the last time I had a pap smear.

Comment

I try not to think about them while I’m having one

Comment

'Have been over the centuries' clearly includes 'are'
                                            Does it? ok.

Comment

Toilet paper isn't free; neither are nappies. What makes tampons special?
                                              You.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                I try not to think about them while I’m having one
                                                Maybe they're easier to get through if you remind yourself that it's not a mammogram.

Comment

Having seen a mammogram it does seem like it was designed by someone who thought women had no nerves in their boobs.

I see the argument that without a vibrant market mechanism the many innovations in sanitary protection probably wouldn't have happened (wings, applicators etc) but basic versions should be cheap to produce and give away, a bit like generic drugs and stuff.

Like many things though, women not being able to afford their choice of sanitary towel or tampon is an indictment on how morally poor we are as a society. Just like the existence of food banks, or homeless people sleeping on the streets. It's depressing in the extreme.

Comment

Thing is with medical technologies like mammograms and the like, big Pharma companies like making money. Lots of money. The male arseholeness thing that TonTon identified, except here its actually quite useful because they aren't really interested if the sector is making more, as long as they themselves are. If they can invent something that shrinks the pie by 50% but takes their chunk of that up from 10% to 95%, then they will do it. Like a shot. Because it means more money for them, and they couldn't give a rats-arse about their competitors losing out.
                                                    Hence mammograms. If it really was easy to invent something that was less difficult for the patient but as reliable, then a company would have done so and marketed it. I mean, it's hardly an unknown problem we are talking about here, or a small scale one either. People will be trying hard to do it as there is lots of money to be made, and that is what drives corporate interest. And you can be damn sure that, if it existed, female patients would vote with their feet on which to use.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X