Will the winless run (South)end? [Weekend matchgoing]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will the winless run (South)end? [Weekend matchgoing]

Saturday I'm trying out the safe standing as Shrewsbury host Southend. It will be my first Shrewsbury game of the season so I'm looking forward to seeing if Salop are as bad as the social media meltdowns suggest. Zero wins so far. That's gotta change, right?

Bohemian fc v Cork City tomorrow,first game at home in seven weeks. It obviously suits us to be away because we've won our last six games in a row without conceding a goal,but Cork are a different kettle of fish, they're badly needing a win to keep pressure on league leaders Dundalk.
    More importantly it's the first game this season I'm manning the P.A, going to be a busy night as well with tributes to two popular fans who died recently and a title winning u19 side to salute at half-time,it'll be hard to relax and enjoy it

Comment

Summat local, tbc. Leaning towards Bootle v Hallam in the Vase.

Comment

On Friday night I’ll be at what is likely to be the last ever speedway meeting at Arena-Essex Raceway after 34 years, Lakeside Hammers v Glasgow Tigers in the SGB Championship.

Saturday afternoon is Wimbledon v Scunthorpe with the boy, only my second Dons game of the season with them still looking for a first home win.

I may go straight from there to Lakeside Hammers’ debut at their new (possibly temporary, who knows) home Rye House Stadium, which is vacant due to my own club Rye House Rockets closing (possibly temporarily, who knows) mid-season. They have a double header against Newcastle Diamonds & Peterborough Panthers respectively.

My attendance hinges on if I have family commitments and can make the schlep around the M25 in time.
        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 14-09-2018, 08:32.

Comment

Would’ve gone to Berwick to cheer on Elgin but Nazis are marching in Sunderland so duty calls

Comment

Glasshoughton Welfare v Parkgate in the Vase. New ground and a chance to enjoy the manifold delights of Castleford.

Wednesday night I went to Parkgate v Leek Town in the FA Cup. An absorbing tie that finished 2-2 with all the goals in the second half. Gate led twice before the ref gave a rather soft penalty for the second equaliser which came at a time when I was just beginning to anticipate a trip to Chorley in the next round. Begs the question of why Gate are second bottom in the league if they can play like that. Good crowd including various Stokeians discussing how they'd managed to cross the Peak District.

Comment

Don't think there was a midweek thread, and am never sure if a Thursday fixture counts as midweek or the beginning of the weekend (OK OK it's midweek). Anyway went along to FK Csikszereda vs Aerostar Bacau yesterday in the Romanian Cup. There is a bit of a backstory to this fixture as Csikszereda are in the Romanian 3rd flight - which consists of 5 divisions, all being squeezed into one at the second flight level. This means that only the winners of each division go up, and staying up in the 2nd, where there are 5 relegation spots, is really hard work). Csikszereda have finished second (very closely second) the last two seasons, tantalisingly close to going up. Last season they were pipped by yesterday's opponents, so there was a bit of needle and point proving to be done (though it's not a bad tempered rivalry).

As an aside, three of the local team were in the Székelyföld team that reached the semi finals of the recent Conifa world cup. Anyway, Csikszereda started off fast and went ahead 6 minutes in from a corner, but then Bacau came back into it and scored two first half goals. Truthfully they looked stronger, perhaps from the experience of playing a couple of rounds in the much higher level second flight this season already. But the second half was a different story, with two Csikszereda subs scoring within ten minutes of coming on in each case, to finish the match a very satisfying 3-2 home win (though it still needed a fantastic save by the home keeper in injury time to confirm it). Best match I've seen here to be honest. Competitive and skilful from both sides.

Anyway, first ever time that FK Csikszereda have been in the 4th round ( last 32) of the cup which is where the first division sides come in, so there is a chance that we may even get notSteaua here (it's a very small chance, but that would be great)

As for this weekend, today is the first home match in the Erste Liga (ice hockey) against Ferencvaros , and Im trying to work out if I can get to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                Would’ve gone to Berwick to cheer on Elgin but Nazis are marching in Sunderland so duty calls
                Not quite sure what to make of the last part of that statement Felicity.

League games start here this weekend, but I am away in Costa Rica from tomorrow for a week on a FIFA/CONCACAF referee instructor course.

Comment

He'll be in the counter-demonstration, BI. Which normally vastly outnumber what they are opposing.

Comment

Guisborough v Barnoldswick in the Vase

Comment

Spartak Trnava vs MSK Zilina in the Slovak league. Trnava have a big game in Europe this week vs Anderlecht, so it'll be interesting to see what sort of team they put out. Zilina won three of last season's four games between the sides with a balance of 12-1, even though Trnava were champions.

Comment

Coventry City v Barnsley

We haven't won away at Coventry since the 1923/24 season (24 games).

We're still in excellent form, but we're also due a defeat (it's been our longest unbeaten start to a season for seventy odd years).

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                          He'll be in the counter-demonstration, BI. Which normally vastly outnumber what they are opposing.
                          No guarantees of that tomorrow, I’m afraid. Theirs is a national mobilisation, we may get a Yorkshire contingent.

Comment

Unterhaching vs Würzburger Kickers.

Unfortunately I broke my toe on the weekend, so may have to buy a bourgeois seat.

Comment

It was going to be Newport v Yeovil until I saw the train fare. Then it was going to be Swansea v Forest until I lost the battle with the interactive ticket system.

I’m going to clean the house instead.

Comment

Well I've got my safe standing wristband on. Feel like a VIP.

Comment

2-0 at half time. I think I'm at the right angle to be in the goal highlights for both of them. I'll be the guy in the yellow and brown baseball cap jumping up and down.

Comment

Finished 2-0 to the Shrews. The bloke in front of me lives near Gothenburg and is the "Swedish Shrew". He is actually Swedish, not an expat. He'd made a deal with his wife; she's gone wine tasting in Italy and he's come to Shrewsbury for a weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by HORN View Post
                                      It was going to be Newport v Yeovil until I saw the train fare.

I’m going to clean the house instead.
                                      Given the result I think you made the right call

Comment

Glasshoughton Welfare 3-1 Parkgate

Stop me if you've heard this one before : Parkgate had the lion's share of the play but didn't create much when on top. This was even more annoying given that Welfare had a man sent off after ten minutes for a horrendously late tackle. Gate were already behind by this point, the home side scored a couple more in the second half before Gate managed a consolation from the spot.

Glasshoughton play on a typical welfare ground, adequate for its requirements, several pitches including cricket on an adjacent field. The programme contained the Wikipedia article for Henry Moore.

Castleford has a pair of dreadful Wetherspoons, one of which astonishingly got in the Guide.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                          Given the result I think you made the right call
                                          Gawd, aye.

Glad you got to see a win.

Comment

So, I went to a game today. First time for I don't know how long.

Basingstoke Town 3 Wimborne Town 2

Pretty poor game, wonderful finish.

Wimborne scored first, against the run of play (such as there was). Basingstoke equalised before half time.

Second half, Basingstoke went down to ten men. Wimborne went ahead on about 87 minutes.

Basingstoke got a penalty on 90 +1. Then scored again to win in the last minute of added time.

Great fun.

Comment

Bootle 0-1 Hallam (FA Vase 2nd qually)

First visit to the TDP Solicitors stadium this season, so I got to admire the smart new fence at the opposite end from the Dodge Kop.

Bootle have lost a couple of players since last season, including record-breaking goalscorer Ryan Cox (to Runcorn Town). They started quietly and Hallam soon got on top and began to boss the game. Not many chances in the first half though, and Bootle began to look dangerous on the break. There was some world-class swearing from players, fans and particularly the Hallam managerial duo, one of whom didn't seem to be able to string together a sentence that didn't include the word 'cunt'.

After the interval, it was more of the same, but with a few meaty challenges being thrown in and slightly more goalmouth action - one piece of which saw Hallam score with a neat header. Bootle had a couple of good chances to force extra time as the police helicopter circled overhead, probably enjoying a break from filming local scrotes nicking cars to watch the match and the motorbike racing at nearby Aintree. It wasn't to be though, and the Sheffield team advanced to the next round.

Comment

Did Pendle Parkrun at Colne in rather unpleasant conditions, before a drive through Wharfedale and Wensleydale to the north east where I walked up Roseberry Topping in rather more pleasant conditions. Then it was a short drive to Guisborough where I had a look round what was left of the Priory before going to the football ground.

Guisborough almost took the lead in the first minute, taking advantage of acres of space in Barnoldswick's left back area. Barlick didn't learn from this and a couple of minutes later Guisborough were able to again easily go down their right wing to make another chance from which they did score. Still nothing was learnt and the hosts scored twice more before half time, both goals via the same route. At the break it looked like the tie was over but Barnoldswick scored almost straight away in the second half and then cut the deficit to one before a further spell of pressure in which they had almost equalised several times. However Guisborough managed to break and score a fourth to secure the win with around five minutes left.

Comment

OOH SOMETIMES, THE TRUTH IS HARDER THAN THE PAIN INSIDE, OOH SOMETIMES, IT'S THE BROKEN HEART THAT DECI-IDES

(still going after a long day, etc)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X