Will the winless run (South)end? [Weekend matchgoing]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coventry 1-0 Barnsley

For the first time this season, we didn't deserve to win. We looked vulnerable at the back and despite moving the ball around well, didn't create much.

That's 25 games without a win at Coventry now.

Comment

Spartak Trnava 1 MSK Zilina 2

Both sides looked clueless for the first three-quarters of this game. In fairness, the worn, bumpy playing surface didn't help. Passes were often misplaced and, when they weren't, the receiving player took too long to get them under control. The only effort on target, from Zilina's Ivan Diaz, was straight at the 'keeper.

The last quarter wasn't much more competent, but it was at least entertaining. In the 68th minute, Erik Grendel got away from Diaz down the right and crossed for Polish debutant Patryk Malecki to put Trnava ahead. Trnava had the ball in the net again moments later but Marek Bakos was incorrectly flagged offside.

With 77 mintes gone, Zilina right-back Benson Anang advanced down the flank. His cross went over the head of Zilina's only player in the box but Andrej Kadlec, under no pressure at all, somehow managed to divert the ball past his 'keeper and just inside the post. It was an oddly similar own-goal to the one Denmark's semi-pros had conceded against Slovakia on the same ground ten days earlier. Another six minutes on, we saw the best move of the match, a four-man breakaway by Zilina after Trnava had messed up a corner. Michal Skvarka finished it off to secure the away win.

I don't imagine that Anderlecht, who play Trnava here on Thursday in the EL, will be too worried. Grendel is a tidy midfielder, his technique standing up to the demands of the surface as well as anyone's, and Bakos has some presence up front. But as long as they cope with the pitch themselves, the Belgians should win easily.

Comment

Whitehawk 1 - 3 Haringey Borough

First visit to the bucolic environs of the Enclosed Ground - a slight misnomer as me and my companion managed to accidentally break into the ground by climbing down a bank from the path through the downs. Haringey were the better side throughout and fully deserved their 3 - 1 win - though three of the four goals came from the penalty spot.

Comment

Spurs 1 Liverpool 2

Surprisingly dull tbh. The game was over as contest once Milner got wide and stuck it in the mixer in the 1st minute.

Watford 1 United 2

This was much more enjoyable. Helped being right next to away bench & and the pitch, I was suppose. Mourinho seemed pretty comfortable & Javi Gracia did well to rally Watford at h/t. Good atmosphere too.

Comment

My MOTD debut there

https://mobile.twitter.com/Slasherrr...820611/photo/1
            Last edited by Sash; 18-09-2018, 16:17.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
              Anyway, first ever time that FK Csikszereda have been in the 4th round ( last 32) of the cup which is where the first division sides come in, so there is a chance that we may even get notSteaua here (it's a very small chance, but that would be great)
              Sadly though it is a home game, it's against second division side ACS Energeticianul. Also, sadly, it will be next week, when I won't be here to watch it

Comment

Putting it here as there's no midweek thread, off to Bridon Ropes v Tunbridge Wells in a Vase Second Qualifying Round replay tonight. I'm always impressed by clubs with unique suffixes or prefixes in their name so have long wanted to get to see The Ropes.

Comment

I went to Liverpool v PSG last night.

Not as good an atmosphere as some of the knock-out stage games last season, but loud in parts and the shirtless visitors kept their racket up throughout, except for a brief interlude when they seemed to start brawling amongst themselves. No dickheads stood by me, which was nice - though one of the blokes behind smelled strongly of liver sausage, which was a bit odd.

Van Dijk and Milner were terrific, thought Mbappe’s “Look at me, I’m the man” goal celebrations were a bit OTT for a man who up to that point had been marked to the point of anonymity by an unheralded Scot. Liverpool had clearly set out to unsettle Areola at set pieces in the hope that he’d make a tit of himself (sorry), and although Sturridge doesn’t really play the high intensity swarming and pressing game as well as his team mates, he still put in a really good performance.

Comment

Working...
                  X