"Croutons"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Croutons"

What's the point? Whenever I've eaten them dry I've always ended up coughing like a bastard, and if you put them in soup they just turn back in to bread.

A proper crouton in a bowl of French onion soup is one of life's joys. You madman, etc.

Comment

Indeed. And slightly soggy in a Caesar salad is very nice.

Comment

Has hobbes stolen Sean's login?

Comment

They're utterly pointless... UNLESS, they are garlic flavoured, and everyone knows that garlic is good for you.

Right?

Otherwise, fuck croutons.

Comment

They're the only things that make Cup-A-Soup worth the effort of boiling the kettle.

However, now I can't eat bread anyway without shitting myself in public, I would agree that croutons are absolute rubbish. Crouton-free Cup-A-Soups (or even Cup-A-Soup-free Cup-A-Soups) are where it's at.

Comment

I've seen gluten free croutons for sale. Would they help?

Comment

Gluton free croutons. Now I've heard of everything.

Comment

Good croutons are really, really good. I had a fantastic tomato soup not long ago with croutons that were really just small fried cheese sandwiches. Real croutons, made from actual bread and fried so they have a crunchy exterior but retain some of the gooey interior bready goodness are delicious and almost inevitably make salads both much better and much less healthy. They differ from those weird solid cubes of breadcrumb that you get at salad bars in the same way that a real soup differs from a cup-a-soup.

Comment

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post
                    Gluton free croutons. Now I've heard of everything.
                    Any crouton made from proper sourdough/levain bread will be gluten-free

Comment

Croutons are the biz. Had a big, daft, cheesy crouton in my French onion soup from Soup Kitchen the other day.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                        Croutons are the biz. Had a big, daft, cheesy crouton in my French onion soup from Soup Kitchen the other day.
                        This guy gets it.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                          Any crouton made from proper sourdough/levain bread will be gluten-free
                          Well I never! I did not know that the gluten intolerant can (sometimes) eat (proper) sourdough.

Although a bit of research suggests that it's not necessarily completely gluten free, but certainly massively gluten reduced

Comment

We didn't know either until we met a baker who'd attended the French National Baking & Pastry Making Institute in Rouen, he explained it. La Signora is gluten intolerant and discovering proper sourdough was like Christmas morning for her.
                            Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 14-09-2018, 03:36.

Comment

I like croutons but can’t believe we’ve got this far without mentioning John Hegley:

Here I am in Luton
                              Sitting on my futon
                              Eating a crouton

Comment

He missed a trick there. Could have inserted "with my suit on" in between the futon and crouton lines.

Comment

Are the larger fellas really 'croûtons' though? A bowl of bouillabaisse is best accompanied by a giant piece of sautéed bread floating 'pon it, said slice liberally spread with creole garlic mayonnaise, or similar. I don't really consider that a croûton as such, although perhaps it is...

Regular croûtons are also great, obviously. Just don't leave them hanging around too long or they will indeed become 'bread sponges'. Especially in a Caesar salad if you've left half of same in the fridge over night.

Comment

Working...
                                  X