No announcement yet.

Sam Wollaston No Longer Guardian TV Critic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMFG. Marina Hyde is one of the greatest writers in UK print media. If Wollaston.... no, it doesn't bear thinking about.

Comment

Innit, I was considering tweeting the Guardian begging them not to repeat this mistake...until I realised that was a bit mental.

Comment

Originally posted by jeanmid View Post
        Yeah he is terrible although Stuart Heritage is worse.
        It was a tough gig for anyone, but I think Stuart Jeffries' laughable attempts to provide an episode-by-episode for the Twin Peaks return may have outdone both Wollaston and Heritage for garbage and incompetence.

Comment

Let's hope that they don't do anything silly with Tim Dowling.

Let's hope that they don't do anything with Tim Dowling.

Comment

That's you saying you like Dowling?

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/news/aud...ote-for-brexit

Comment

Oh Christ now he’s doing a Harris.

Comment

I reckon "Sam Wollaston spent four days onboard a trawler" is barely disguised code for "we listened to our readers and decided to give him the worst assignment we could find, without actually sacking him"

Like when McNulty got dumped on the harbour patrol boat.

Comment

Wollaston On Populism

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                      I reckon "Sam Wollaston spent four days onboard a trawler" is barely disguised code for "we listened to our readers and decided to give him the worst assignment we could find, without actually sacking him"

Like when McNulty got dumped on the harbour patrol boat.
                      This has the makings of a series. What do fatberg scrapers make of Brexit? How do the North Sentinelese think it will affect them? We sent Sam Wollaston to find out.

Comment

I'm looking forward to what do Tv writers think of Brexit. Sam Wollsaton interviews Lucy Waterman.

Comment

I'd like to see him ask questions with my thumbs round his windpipe.

Comment

Just to clarify: Dowling is a wasteman.

Comment

You know that old line about "music for people who don't like music"? Tim Dowling is humour for people who read the Guardian.

Comment

Lucy Mangan's latest is strikingly Wollaston-esque. Perhaps she's just phoning it in on the holiday period.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...te-skating-duo

Comment

Is that The Horse reviewing in The Graun today?

Comment

I didn't see that, but I loved his piece for them on Clive James.

Comment

This? Then yes.

Billy Connolly: Made in Scotland review – pure gallus from a folk comedy hero

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...y_to_clipboard

Comment

More evidence that Sam Wollaston is being led a merry dance
                                        https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...e_iOSApp_Other

bloody hell, he’s 53, rather than 13.

Comment

Replacing 'standing at my desk' with 'being sealed in a barrel and sent over Niagara Falls' would have given the piece a bit more zip.

Comment

I think Lucy Mangan has done her job as TV critic, but am bewildered by this review of Chernobyl, which I liked a lot, albeit with reservations.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...-disaster-epic

"It is a bad sign when the first few minutes of a drama raise more extra-narrative questions than answers."

Isn't that what drama is all about?

As for this

"Did the residents have no fear of what such a sight might mean? Why are they not running around trying to flee, as we would be?"

I guess not everyone can remember the Soviet Union existing, but it should be fairly obvious that life there might not have been remotely comparable to London in 2019.
                                            Last edited by diggedy derek; 02-07-2019, 12:55.

Comment

Wasn't that the one where they had to quickly commission a second review to cover for the shitness and general point missing of that one?

Comment

There was indeed a second review published towards the finale, which said it was a masterpiece, once the dust cleared.

Comment

I just knocked it off yesterday.

It was a great show, with the exception of Emily Watson's character, who was Andrei Sakharov in a dress. She wouldn't have been allowed *near* the Chernobyl Commission with those opinions...proven, I guess, by the fact Sakharov himself wasn't.

That's the problem with composite characters, having 12 people tell Legasov at various points that he needed to speak up* is plausible, having one person voice those 12 opinions is barmy. She'd be dishing out school dinners in 1986 Belarus.

*Which he didn't really do, if I remember correctly. The testimony was really from the tapes he stashed after he killed himself, and those went around the Soviet scientific community like samizdat.

Comment

By the way Reginald, having found your comment from over a month ago...they explicitly say in Episode 2 that the doctors can't give the firefighters/nuclear workers/etc morphine when the radiation kicks in and their cells basically begin to die. I think they said finding a vein is impossible at that point or something like that.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X