No announcement yet.

Out of towners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Dublin distances from O'Connell street which is generally regarded as the centre are
    Dalymount park 1.8km
    Tolka park 2.2km
    Richmond park 5.3km
    Belfield bowl 7.9km
    Tallaght stadium 12.2km and
    Cabinteely 13.6km
    Bray Wanderers who people think is in Dublin but is actually across the border in Wicklow is 22km away but the train station is less than 100 metres from the station which makes it a much easier trip than CUD or Cabinteely

Comment

The Gay Meadow wasn't far from Shrewsbury town-centre. Cross the English Bridge over the Severn and you were on Wyle Kop, a lovely steep, winding shopping street that leads up to the centre.

The Hawthorns is interesting in being one of the first 'out-of-town' grounds, and is closer to Handsworth and Smethwick than it is to West Bromwich town-centre. Later, the M5 was built, and created a further separation of ground from town. Duncan is right that the ground is entirely outside the Birmingham council area now, but that hasn't always been the case. In the 60s, what's now the East Stand was on the Birmingham side of the border.

Comment

In bizarre coincidence news, our family was just discussing the renaming of Estació de França to Barcelona Termino under Franco.

What was the reasoning behind the name change, Ursus?
        Last edited by Lang Spoon; 13-09-2018, 19:03.

Comment

My understanding is that it a) eliminated the use of Catalan and b) was more in keeping with the regime's isolationist ideology (and antipathy towards France and the Popular Front).

Comment

Originally posted by jameswba View Post
            The Gay Meadow wasn't far from Shrewsbury town-centre. Cross the English Bridge over the Severn and you were on Wyle Kop, a lovely steep, winding shopping street that leads up to the centre.
            And so close to the station one end was called The Station End.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
              In Dublin distances from O'Connell street which is generally regarded as the centre are
              Dalymount park 1.8km
              Tolka park 2.2km
              Richmond park 5.3km
              Belfield bowl 7.9km
              Tallaght stadium 12.2km and
              Cabinteely 13.6km
              Bray Wanderers who people think is in Dublin but is actually across the border in Wicklow is 22km away but the train station is less than 100 metres from the station which makes it a much easier trip than CUD or Cabinteely
              Tallaght is bigger than burnley. It should probably be considered a town by itself.

Google maps tells me that Salthill Devon is only 4 miles from salthill, but I really really don't believe it. I certainly don't believe the 14 mins.

Comment

Suspect I've got a winner here. I shall now read through the thread and report back in a few minutes.

Comment

Yeah. In 1993–94 Argentinos Juniors (founded in the Buenos Aires barrio of Villa Crespo, traditionally and now headquartered in La Paternal although their stadium is actually a few metres over the neighbourhood boundary in Villa General Mitre) were on the verge of going out of existence and were rescued by Torneos, the media company who run the country's main domestic sports cable channel TyCSports and whose current VIPs are up to their proverbials in the FIFAGate trials ongoing in the US. Torneos took the decision to move Argentinos from Ferro Carril Oeste's stadium in the neighbourhood of Caballito (the club having not played in nearby La Paternal for a while by that point) to the Estadio Malvinas Argentinas, one of the stadia which had been constructed for the 1978 World Cup.

The Estadio Malvinas Argentinas is in Mendoza, a city on the other side of Argentina. Google Maps says it's 1,046.8 kilometres from La Paternal, or 650.54 miles, which Google reckons makes it a 212 hour walk. It doesn't mention whether this includes the odd stop to catch some sleep, or sit and cry hot salty tears into your hideously deformed and blistered feet.

Speaking of Ferro, I might have a contender for the following, too.

Originally posted by Tapiocahead View Post
                  Who's the closest? Slap bang in the middle of the town / city centre?
                  Ferro's stadium is in almost the exact geographical centre of the City of Buenos Aires (although not that close to the actual downtown area).

Comment

Dundalk's Oriel Park is a shade under 300m from the train station. 500m from platform to terrace I reckon. Bray Wanderers' Carlisle Grounds is even closer though, no more than 200m from station to turnstile. If you stepped off the platform and exited via the railroad crossing it's about 40m from platform to terrace.

Comment

In the old days you could climb over the fence from the platform at Allerton station straight into South Liverpool's Holly Park if you didn't fancy paying.
                      I-er- know someone who did that at least once when his team was playing there.

Both club and station now long gone, replaced by the Swish Liverpool South Parkway for John Lennon Airport Station.

Comment

Oops, my mistake
                        Last edited by Aitch; 14-09-2018, 09:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                          The New York Stadium is close to both the town centre and the railway station.
                          But some 3,370 miles from Times Square. Google Maps "could not calculate" the walking time, surprisingly, but assuming you could keep strolling around the deck of the ship en route I reckon it's doable. Unfortunately I think Cunard's idea a couple of years back of resurrecting transatlantic cruises from Liverpool hasn't come to anything, so you're looking at somewhere in the order of a 65-hour walk from the New York to Southampton, about a week at sea, then another couple of miles at the Manhattan end.

Comment

More seriously, on the city-centre football grounds of convenience topic, Norwich station to Carrow Road is merely a 0.5 mile's walk. There's a great view of the stadium from the southeast as you cross the river by train, before the tracks swing around its eastern and north sides.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                              There's a list of station to ground distances here:
                              https://blogs.ncl.ac.uk/geospatialen...ation-mark-ii/
                              The Coventry entry on that is misleading - yes, there is a train line that goes directly past the Ricoh, and yes, there is a stop on it called Coventry Arena, but this isn't useful for Football (or Rugby) fans - this station is (or at least was) shut on matchdays! It doesn't have anything like the necessary capacity to deal with the crowds. It can only deal with 80 people an hour or some other ludicrously low number.

Comment

Everything about the Ricoh Arena is just wrong. There's a railway station next to it that football fans can't use. Then there are no direct buses to it from Coventry's main rail station, so you have to hike into town to the bus-station, passing through most of Coventry's infamous concrete shopping precincts on the way. The buses to the ground from the bus-station take you past what feels like every single house, shop and industrial unit in north Coventry. If you get on a bus from the city-centre after 2pm, you seriously worry about missing a 3pm kick-off. This is to cover a distance of just over 3 miles.

It is, and by quite a distance, no1 on my list of 'least favourite grounds visited in the UK'.

Comment

And that is before considering that it's now owned by a Rugby club from Middlesex rather than anyone associated with, say, Coventry.

Comment

Coventry RFC have a really proud history of their own, too. Admittedly dating back to the early 1970s, so it makes them the English rugby equivalent of Leeds United or Derby County, but even so. I wonder what hopes there are for the real Coventry ever reaching the heights again with their rich neighbours now down the road.

Comment

Working...
                                    X