Don't worry, it'll soon be over
    Teams
    QPR, Hitchin Town
    Biscuit
    Fig Roll
    Actor
    Klaus Kinski (if he was alive, like)

Book exchange boxes

One of the small, but really nice things about living here are local book-exchange boxes. Most locally are donated by the Rotary Club (see below) but other organisations maintain them too. The closest to us is close by the local school. It's intriguing to see what people give away. Yesterday I got a copy of John McPhee's The Crofter and the Laird. McPhee's writing was one of the reasons I bought The New Yorker for so many years, but it's been ages since I read anything by him (amazingly he's now 87.) In the past I've scrobbled several volumes by Foucault, bit of a surprise. I guess the legacy of someone's university career. Not only is the box a great way of acquiring and disposing of books but it provides a bit of an insight into the community and their reading habits.

Argh! There's a typo in the thread title. How can I change it?
    Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 10-09-2018 at 18:56.

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
    Teams
    Penn State, Cincinnati Reds, State College Spikes
    Biscuit
    Girl Scout Thin Mints
    Actor
    Patton Oswalt
    There are a lot of those here. Mostly kid-oriented, I think.

Clever and handy but I hope it doesnít undercut support for actual libraries.

We also have a big annual AAUW book sale. I donated about a ton of books, including comics, to them a few years back. But I havenít bought anything there in a while. I still own a lot of books I havenít read. I went through a long dumb phase of buying books I never got around to reading.

Teams
    QPR, Hitchin Town
    Biscuit
    Fig Roll
    Actor
    Ours (by eyeball) are about 40% kid oriented. I read a lot of books I know I won't open again but used to keep anyway, this seems a good way of passing them on. I don't think they're affecting our local library much. Many of their loans are digital these days, and it's also very much a community meeting place

We have two full sized bookcases in our communal laundry room that are used for this purpose and maintained by a resident who worked as a senior librarian for decades.

It is a nice resource to have.

Teams
    Biscuit
    Girl Scout Thin Mints
    Actor
    Patton Oswalt
    Quote Originally Posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
    Ours (by eyeball) are about 40% kid oriented. I read a lot of books I know I won't open again but used to keep anyway, this seems a good way of passing them on. I don't think they're affecting our local library much. Many of their loans are digital these days, and it's also very much a community meeting place
    Yeah, I think thatís the future of libraries. The actual stacks of books are mostly obsolete, but the need for librarians to help people navigate the endless ocean of information has never been greater. And, as you say, the buildings themselves are useful meeting places or ďthird spacesĒ as somebody once said.

Teams
    Sheffield Wednesday, FK Csikszereda Women's U18 team, AFC Csiki Monkeys
    Biscuit
    Ginger nuts
    Most English villages now seem to have these in the old phone box. All the villages near where my parents live anyway
    Last edited by ad hoc; 09-09-2018 at 20:13.

Teams
    Biscuit
    Girl Scout Thin Mints
    Actor
    Patton Oswalt
    Thatís great! Those old phone boxes are beautiful, but thereís not much need for phones in phone boxes.

Perhaps these could also be used for DVDs.

Teams
    QPR, Hitchin Town
    Biscuit
    Fig Roll
    Actor
    Yes, great way of recycling phone boxes. Our book box gets the odd DVD from time to time. They seem to go very quickly.

If you can't say anything nice...
    Teams
    Barnsley
    Biscuit
    Club
    Actor
    Peter Lorre
    I think you change the thread title by going into "Edit Post" then "Go Advanced"

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
    Those 'free little library' things are all over Toronto. Lots in our 'hood, too. I'd love to have one on our property, but we're on a major intersection of high-school kids in one direction and middle-school kids in the other. It wouldn't last a month before it was torched.

LFL is happy everyone is doing this, but apparently you're supposed to pay a fee to use the name. Fuck that.

Teams
    Norwich City
    Yes, the red phone boxes work brilliantly for these, and the parish councils can often buy them from BT for £1 when they go out of service. Our village is going to do this soon.

Another popular thing to put in them is a defib.

Teams
    Norwich City
    Hmm - those two boxes hinge in opposite directions. Never thought about that before.

Biscuit
    Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
    Well.....think about it.

Teams
    Norwich City
    OK, done.

Teams
    QPR, Hitchin Town
    Biscuit
    Fig Roll
    Actor
    Quote Originally Posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    I think you change the thread title by going into "Edit Post" then "Go Advanced"
    Doesn't seem to work for me. I can make the change that way, but it doesn't save it. Thanks anyway

If you can't say anything nice...
    Teams
    Barnsley
    Biscuit
    Club
    Actor
    Peter Lorre
    PM Snake

Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
    Teams
    Norwich City
    Biscuit
    Dark choc Hobnob
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin S View Post
    Yes, the red phone boxes work brilliantly for these, and the parish councils can often buy them from BT for £1 when they go out of service. Our village is going to do this soon.

Another popular thing to put in them is a defib.
    I was going to say the same thing – around where my grandad lives in north Norfolk they're gradually colonising the decommissioned red phone boxes with defibrillators. His village joined that particular club a couple of years back, which was a bit of a shame as previously theirs had briefly been a miniature art gallery and community noticeboard. I recognise that the defib is probably of more practical benefit, of course.

My local newsagents has a book exchange box now, which was an unexpected thing to see appear a while back. I first came across the concept a few years ago (via geocaching, with which this can neatly overlap) when I encountered BookCrossing, which still appears to be a thing – it's a somewhat more 'structured' way of releasing your unwanted tomes into the wild, in that you can label them with a unique ID and thus track their onward movement afterwards if future owners register their progress.

Teams
    The Mighty Imps of Lindum
    Biscuit
    Jaffa Cakes/Biscuits
    We have these all over Frankfurt and I think they're a wonderful thing. I regularly leave bundles of mainly English language books in the one down the road from us, and they're usually all gone when I look the next day. I like to think they've been taken by people eager to improve their language skills and not by an unscrupulous second hand book seller in a van who does the rounds every morning before dawn.

I got way more proof copies of the US edition of Rock n Roll Soccer than I have space for, so I've taken to signing them and leaving them in there, explaining who I am and asking them very kindly to bring the book back if they enjoyed it, and to possibly leave a review on amazon. The books go, but so far the reviews have not appeared... But I'm just happy to clear the shelf space.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
    Teams
    Norwich City
    Biscuit
    Dark choc Hobnob
    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    I've taken to signing them and leaving them in there
    This sounded magnificently egotistical until I read the rest of the sentence, imp! I hope you do get some reviews in this way eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Various Artist View Post
    I was going to say the same thing – around where my grandad lives in north Norfolk they're gradually colonising the decommissioned red phone boxes with defibrillators. His village joined that particular club a couple of years back, which was a bit of a shame as previously theirs had briefly been a miniature art gallery and community noticeboard. I recognise that the defib is probably of more practical benefit, of course.

My local newsagents has a book exchange box now, which was an unexpected thing to see appear a while back. I first came across the concept a few years ago (via geocaching, with which this can neatly overlap) when I encountered BookCrossing, which still appears to be a thing – it's a somewhat more 'structured' way of releasing your unwanted tomes into the wild, in that you can label them with a unique ID and thus track their onward movement afterwards if future owners register their progress.
    Could be useful even when handing books into the charity shop, see how far they circulate.