X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mapping The Year

Radio 4, Monday 3pm.

Brain Of Britain
    That annoying thing with students, lecturers and the bloke of The Now Show whose daddy isn't a god-botherer.
    Counterpoint
    Round Britain Quiz

Thought this was going to be about the game (maybe it's just a game to me) of identifying the year an atlas was produced based on the political geography.

Comment

I've mentioned before that I've an old school atlas of my grandfather's from when he was a teacher that has the bits of Czechoslovakia that've been seceded to Germany marked in red, making its date as something in the latter half of 1938 and the beginning of 1939.

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post
        Thought this was going to be about the game (maybe it's just a game to me) of identifying the year an atlas was produced based on the political geography.
        It's not just a game to you. I used to assume everyone did it, but I've got strange looks from other people when trying to pin down the age of world map shower curtains...

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
          I've mentioned before that I've an old school atlas of my grandfather's from when he was a teacher that has the bits of Czechoslovakia that've been seceded to Germany marked in red, making its date as something in the latter half of 1938 and the beginning of 1939.
          Jesus they didn't hang around back then,they must have been printing it when Chamberlain was still in Munich

Comment

I have a massive Reader's Digest World Atlas of my grandfather's from around 1960 that has an image of earth captioned "If we could travel to space, this is what our earth would look like."

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
              Jesus they didn't hang around back then,they must have been printing it when Chamberlain was still in Munich
              Possibly added by hand?

Comment

In 1989 I bought myself a copy of The Times Atlas of the World. An expensive purchase for me at the time, but I figured it'd be a once in a lifetime deal. Inside of a year pretty much all the maps of Eastern Europe were obsolete.

Comment

SB, I do that as well. I’m sure that won’t come as a surprise to anyone on here.

I have the same question as Amor about the 1939 Atlas, in part because I’m not sure how prevalent over-printing (very common with stamps) was in book publishing.

Comment

I assume you've all seen this flowchart for dating maps?

https://xkcd.com/1688/

Comment

I'd never seen that before and it is both brilliant and funny. I'd love to get it as a poster.

Comment

Or a shower curtain . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                          Possibly added by hand?
                          Nope. Printed.

Comment

I'd forgotten Quote...Unquote. Sadly the BBC haven't...

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post
                              That would've been Yearing The Map...

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                Radio 4, Monday 3pm.

Brain Of Britain
                                That annoying thing with students, lecturers and the bloke of The Now Show whose daddy isn't a god-botherer.
                                Counterpoint
                                Round Britain Quiz
                                Surely the other one's daddy isn't a god-botherer - he was a bishop, wasn't he?

Comment

Yay, Round Britain Quiz is back.

Comment

Working...
                                  X