Close to the Edg - Weekend matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Close to the Edg - Weekend matchgoing

Wembley v Edgware Town. At Wembley, not Edgware as Hendon are at home in the FA Cup.

Denmark v Wales in Aarhus on Sunday evening, where reality may very well bite after last night’s romp. We fly to Copenhagen tomorrow for a night out there before a train to the match on Sunday.

I think we’re all heading straight from the airport to BK Frem v B.93 in the 2. Division Pulje 2 (third tier) with AB Tårnby v Greve in the Danmarksserien Pulje 1 (fourth tier) as our back up. I wonder if we’ll see any of Denmark’s internationals from Wednesday night play?
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 07-09-2018, 11:35.

Comment

With Notts and Mansfield both away from home, Nottingham is not the best place to be on International weekend. Nevertheless, I think I might try to find out just what is going wrong for Martin Allen at Chesterfield v Dover on Saturday and on Monday it's Basford United (as featured in this week's WSC) against Matlock Town.

Comment

Tour of Britain. Was going to follow it up with Worksop Town v Garforth Town but it's been called off as both teams progressed in the cup and Worksop inconsiderately got drawn away. However what the cup taketh away it giveth in the coming week as Parkgate's tie has been held over so I'll now get to go to that - most likely versus Leek Town on Wednesday night.

Comment

Not likely to do a game this weekend, although I'm going to a gig at Ashton Gate this evening.

Cardiff Met v Cefn Druids on Sunday, maybe, if I need to get some live action, otherwise watching Denmark v Wales on S4C will be about the only football I'll see.

Comment

Not sure where I'm going to go but it'll be new territory and at an even lower level of football than that which I normally attend. The reason for this is because, as is commonly known, it's Berks & Bucks FA Cup 1st Round day and I've decided to go to one of two games that see North Bucks & District League teams host teams from my regular haunt, the Spartan South Midlands League Division 2. Which one I attend depends mostly on my mate and his domestic arrangements but, in short, it'll either be Hanslope v New Bradwell St Peter or Stewkley v Old Bradwell United.

Comment

Barnsley v Walsall

Two unbeaten teams facing each other. We've actually looked better than our four wins and two draws suggest and could have easily won all six.

Walsall have the same record as us though so it should be a good game. We're also missing our goalkeeper and midfield workhorse due to international call ups (he says getting the excuses in early).

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                Cardiff Met v Cefn Druids on Sunday, maybe, if I need to get some live action, otherwise watching Denmark v Wales on S4C will be about the only football I'll see.
                I've now got to go to the kitchen showroom on Sunday afternoon so just the televised game for me.

Comment

Cambridge v Carlisle today, then watching my mates lad in some u-15s league on the outskirts of Norwich tomorrow.

Comment

Either Dunvant RFC v Gowerton RFC is a needle match or village rugby appears on this evidence to be an eighty minute brawl.

Comment

Kick off on time for a change. More Edgware than Wembley fans...

Comment

Second half kicks off on time too.

Maybe one of the teams will actually fail to miss a chance in this half...

Comment

Edgware's precision missing has now taken in the inside of the post...

Comment

We appear to have run out of balls...

Comment

Finishes goal-free as Wembley get their first point of the season...

Comment

Anyone at the Gills today?

Comment

Stewkley 0-3 Old Bradwell United

Enjoyable Berks & Bucks FA Cup 1st Round tie played on village recreation ground pitch. Old Bradwell are notionally at a higher level and they were the better team throughout, the score kept down by an excellent performance by the Stewkley keeper. The dog count was getting towards double figures for those keen on such things. A most agreeable afternoon.

Comment

Brentwood Town 2 - 3 Haringey Borough

All the excitement in this game was crammed into a chaotic opening five minutes and final fifteen. Haringey are a level above Brentwood but were caught cold when Brentwood scored on their first attack of the game. Two minutes later it was all square as one-time Cyprus international Georgios Aresti curled a superb volley into the top corner from the edge of the penalty box.

After that Haringey had more-or-less controlled the game but without creating much and the game seemed to be ticking along to a replay. This persisted until Ayrton Coley rifled in a wonderful strike for Brentwood with less than ten minutes to go. This shook Haringey out of their torpor and the game opened up. Both sides had chances until, with a couple of minutes of the ninety left, Chinedu McKenzie found space and finished neatly to give a poor Boro side a let off.

Brentwood seemed to be content to see out the draw, but Femi Akinwande had other ideas, hitting a wonderful strike from outside the box in the dying moments of the game to complete the comeback and give Boro a win they scarcely deserved.

Comment

An outing at Twerton Park with the annual appearance by the boy. We were playing Hungerford Town who, oddly, I thought were bottom of the league but are actually just above the relegation zone. As usual, we made it harder on ourselves initially until the Hungerford keeper upended one of our players after confusion in their penalty area and the ref pointed to the penalty spot - leaving the Bath City supporters groaning as we never score from the penalty spot so it's like giving the other team possession. However, after the keeper had been treated for whatever injury he had received fouling our player, the ref decided to save us the bother and awarded it as a goal kick after all. Two minutes later, he made amends by awarding us a much softer penalty which, unbelievably, we scored. After that, it was all Bath and we were 3-0 up at half-time. An interesting thing is happening this season in that, if he scores two goals, our top scorer, Ryan Brunt, gets subbed for our so far non-scoring striker John Mills to come on. To his great credit, Brunt never seems at all bothered about not achieving the purely arbitrary hat-trick. Today, Brunt came off just before half-time. Second half, we scored early with, again after the last home game's, a wonderful headed goal. We then were cruising with Hungerford's keeper making some excellent saves to deny us and Mills not scoring again. There was another odd thing in that one of our players, Sean Rigg, got a ball kicked into his bollocks and he went down like a sack with the usual reaction of wincing and laughing from the other players but, unusually, he actually had to be subbed off due to it. The ref decided to award Hungerford a consolation penalty to ensure that there two wonderful 4-1 results this week.

Comment

Chesterfield 0 Dover 0

A truly dreadful game with the only excitement crammed into the last 10 seconds as Chesterfield hit the post and bar in quick succession.

Oh and there was some mild amusement when Dover sub Nortei Nortey was announced.

Comment

Barnsley 1-1 Walsall

Barnsley started the best but never looked like scoring in the first half as Walsall packed their penalty area whenever we attacked.

After we scored a lucky opening goal early in the second half, Walsall opened up and were a decent side.

They did leave gaps at the back though and we had plenty of opportunities to score without taking one. Sure enough, they then carved us open in the last couple of minutes to get a draw. Despite dropping points at home again, we are still unbeaten and have overall been the best team in each match.

Comment

On Saturday it was Cambridge 1-2 Carlisle

Truly abject first half hour from Carlisle, lucky to be only a goal down but completely outplayed. Weird looping header from Richie Bennett just before HT gave us a lift we didn't deserve, before a tactical switch to push Fleetwood loanee Ashley Nadesan up front paid off when he scored a neat winner with 20 to go. Much better second half, though not without some defensive fragility. Up to a surprising 4th, feels like a very weak division given how up and down our performances have been.

Today I went to a Norwich area under-15s game which finished Buxton 7-2 Cringleford. A pleasing lack of gobby parents, some encouraging coaching and some tidy football on grass which looked too long and still had the remains of the last cut lying on it too. Cringleford actually led 1-0 at the break but hadn't taken advantage of having a strengthening wind at their backs and the home side rattled in quite a few by simply knocking it over the top and running onto it. More watchable game than the one I'd paid £18 to see on Saturday though.

Comment

On Friday evening I watched AFC Liverpool beat St Helens in an entertaining game. Probably the lowest spectator: flag ratio of the season at around 10:1 thanks to both sides having lots of flags but few fans.

Yesterday I watched two matches, both of which involved home teams who are reserve teams of sides in the same division, but were allowed promotion after changing their names. First up was Dock, who are the second team of Waterloo Dock. They play at Anfield Sports Centre on the same pitch that Lower Breck use in the North West Counties. The latter's elevation has meant some improvements since my last visit - there is now a walkway behind one goal and a small stand. Dock took the lead after a couple,of minutes and held on to it into the second half, when Waterloo GSOB converted a contreversial penalty. GSOB then took the lead shortly after before Dock equalised when the visiting goalkeeper dropped the ball onto a home forwards foot. GSOB got a third goal with about five minutes left, which turned out to be the winner.

From Anfield it was a short trip down Queen's Drive to Alder Sports Club. This was originally the sports ground of the National Association of Local Government Officers, with the Alder name being adopted from the road its on. As a result Alder's reserves took the name Liverpool NALGO to secure promotion. Thankfully the rain had stopped, as there is no cover here. Visitors Alumni took the lead late in the first half with a lovely shot into the top corner of the net. In the second half they looked more likely to get a second goal, but NALGO secured a point with what turned out to be the last kick of the match.

Comment

England 1-2 Spain on Saturday and Oxford United 1-2 Coventry City today, I didn't get a season ticket this season, a decision I'm not regretting.

Comment

Working...
                                                X