Lowest Tier of English Pyramid to have a current international player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowest Tier of English Pyramid to have a current international player

Gibraltar have at least one player from National League North, namely Reece Styche of Darlington. Is anyone from a lower tier in any current international squad of a FIFA member?

A couple of years Cambridge City, then in the Southern Premier (step 3), had a Montserrat international called Dean Mason playing. He scored on his debut away at St Neots, then left a few games afterwards.

Comment

What division were Shepshed Dynamo in when Ba was playing for Sierra Leone?

Comment

Elvis Defreitas played for Barbados while with Guildford City who were in the Combined Counties Premier (ninth tier).

Comment

I love this factoid so much. I think it's because he's called Elvis that makes it so perfect.

Comment

Zephaniah Thomas was capped by St Kitts & Nevis whilst playing for Rossington Main in the North East Counties League Division One (10th tier).

Lewisham Borough of the Southern Counties East League Division One (10th tier) have got a player, Marvin Farrell, in the current Montserrat squad. Given that Borough have rarely sat more than one place above the foot of their division in the last four years I suspect you'd be hard pressed to beat that.

Comment

At the other end, which club is highest in the pyramid but has never had an international (while still with them)?

Exeter City's entry in all the yearbooks has been pitifullly the same since I was old enough to read it: Most Capped Player, Dermot Curtis, 1 (Eire - that bit has changed, at least).

I'm not sure if our more recent international stars (Gosling for Gibraltar, Grant for Jamaica) managed a cap during their brief stay, but they didn't make it to a second.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                I love this factoid so much. I think it's because he's called Elvis that makes it so perfect
                And the fact that "Elvis Defreitas, played for Barbados" sounds like the start of a poem.

Comment

There are a couple of former Afghanistan internationals here who were playing in the Landesliga (sixth tier, at least in Hamburg) at the time of their call-up.

Comment

Nathan Minjas who was scored three goals in the CONIFA Cup for Panjab has scored 16 for Ascot United this season in the Hellenic Premier (Step 9).

Rob Gier - who played for Wimbledon, Rushden & Diamonds and Cambridge signed for Ascot United (Step 9) in 2009. He then went on to make his Philippines debut and earned 66 caps all while playing at Step 9 of the pyramid.

Comment

Mickleover Sports had a Bermudian international play in the NCEL, which as Ursos says is step 10.

Unfortunately I did not play in any matches with him otherwise we would have had a board member that played in the same team as the lowest ranked international.

Comment

I was thinking, "Ooh, board member of what?" for a moment there until I realised you mean these boards right here, Reverend. A shame about that footballing near-miss, though.

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                        I love this factoid so much. I think it's because he's called Elvis that makes it so perfect.
                        Hah, I had just the same feeling PT.

Originally posted by Mumpo View Post
                        And the fact that "Elvis Defreitas, played for Barbados" sounds like the start of a poem.
                        ...though this is also a great point, Mumpo.

Elvis Defreitas played for Barbados
                        While shaking it up it at Guildford City
                        In the pyramid's ninth tier, for 3 or 4 fine years
                        Though the standard of football was… variable

Comment

Marine AFC's current first choice keeper is a Bermundan (I think) international. They are in the NPL Premier.

Comment

Originally posted by ingoldale View Post
                            Marine AFC's current first choice keeper is a Bermundan (I think) international. They are in the NPL Premier.
                            Not sure what 'Bermundan' is, but one of Marine's keepers is from Guinea-Bissau I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Bermuda Iron View Post
                              Not sure what 'Bermundan' is, but one of Marine's keepers is from Guinea-Bissau I think.
                              Sorry, Bermudan. Yes, Guinea-Bissau, that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mumpo View Post
                                Would that be "Playing For Barbados" by Topically Tripical?

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                  What division were Shepshed Dynamo in when Ba was playing for Sierra Leone?
                                  This was the name that immediately came to my mind when I saw the thread. Shepshed were in the Dr. Martens Midlands Division when Ibrahim Bah played for them; I think that was the seventh tier.

Bah's international career was over by the time he pitched up in Leicestershire, though. My recollection is that his brother was a leading doctor in the regime that was toppled in 1996(?), and Bah fled Sierra Leone in fear for his life. He didn't go back and never played for the national team again.

Comment

Working...
                                  X