Burt Reynolds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WOM View Post
    Yeah, but you're basically a British intellectual living in remote Wherethefuckistan. Reed is.....Reed, man.
    I'm an intellectual? Woohoo!

I didn't grow up in remote Wherethefuckistan. I could have watched them. I just didn't

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
      I'm not suggesting they were good. I'm suggesting they were fun. In a ten-year-old's sort of way.
      No. I WAS ten. They weren't fun, they were shit.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
        I'm an intellectual? Woohoo!

I didn't grow up in remote Wherethefuckistan. I could have watched them. I just didn't
        Right...see 'intellectual'.

Comment

As a non-Yorkshireman, I'm not allowed to ask whether Yorkshiremen can be intellectual or not. That's up to other Yorkshiremen to decide.

I believe, however, that not wearing just a T-shirt in winter is qualification enough for "intellectual" in Yorkshire.

Comment

Oh, a t-shirt? We'd have been pleased to have a t-shirt...

Comment

Jesus. Next thing is you people will be telling me you haven't watched "Convoy" 50 times. Freaks.

Comment

I saw part of it in German once.

Comment

Favorite Burt R. movie for me was White Lightning.

Ned Beatty was as creepy an antagonist as you could for a paunchy, bald, bespectacled guy in a hat.

Gator, the sequel, truly sucked. Even as a teenager I was disappointed. Bad guy Bama McCall, played by Jerry Reed, was excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                    Jesus. Next thing is you people will be telling me you haven't watched "Convoy" 50 times. Freaks.
                    I'll forgive you this error of judgement if you back me up when I claim that the Clint Eastwood films with the orang-utan were far superior to Convoy and the Burt Reynolds things.

Although they were also fucking rubbish.

Comment

Tish and piffle. The comedy between Jackie Gleason and Mike Henry is absolutely incredible. Gleason is amazing but Henry never gets the credit he deserves.

Comment

Don't think Eastwood could pull off this comedy genius:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-pHuT2666s

Comment

I love the ''Clint with Ape'' films. Two of my all-time favourites. The first one seems to be regarded as the better movie but the second one features William Smith, the best brawl and Clyde shitting in cop cars.

Also, getting sniffy about the Cannonball Run and Smokey And The Bandit Movies is like critiquing a fucking bacon sandwich.
                          Last edited by George; 08-09-2018, 14:03.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
                            I love the ''Clint with Ape'' films. Two of my all-time favourites. The first one seems to be regarded as the better movie but the second one features William Smith, the best brawl and Clyde shitting in cop cars.

Also, getting sniffy about the Cannonball Run and Smokey And The Bandit Movies is like critiquing a fucking bacon sandwich.
                            Yes, true. But saying "They were shit", particularly when it's WOM saying that they aren't shit - isn't "getting sniffy".

And Clint was very good at comedy. Any Dirty Harry film proves that.

Comment

I think Hal Needham's many limitations as a film maker were somewhat offset by the ability to make it look like everybody* on set was having a goodtime. This isn't necessarily always a positive but on movies like these it's one of the biggest things they've got going for them.

*Adrienne Barbeau has a face like thunder throughout the first Cannonball Run movie.

Comment

You want to see the handling and suspension on the 70's marked police cars (not the unmarked Consul GT) in old episodes of the Sweeney.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

That has ADR work written all over it.

This is the clip I was thinking of. Henry does all the work in a very simple bit of physical comedy with a cigarette that tells you the entirety of the two characters and their relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

I just watched it.

Clint, whom I love as much as The Lady I Walked To Registry Office With, could have pulled that, and himself, off during his morning ablution.

Comment

I must admit it was easy for me to get Burt muddled up with Tom Selleck. Probably the tache. All about appearances. I'm such a shallow person.

Comment

I used to confuse Selleck and Reynolds too. It was the tache.

Selleck was offered the role of Indiana Jones but turned it down because he was committed to Magnum P.I..

Comment

Comment

Cannonball Run II is on TV. Probably as some kind of tribute. They could have found something better. It's dreadful. Truly.

Comment

Comedies about hairy guys from the 70s were particularly off-putting, as I recall.

But you sell it soooo well....

Comment

I’ve no memory of seeing the cars and taches films but probably did.
                                                I took an American girl in a fur coat to see ‘Convoy’ but she kept it on and buttoned throughout so I had to watch the film.

Comment

Working...
                                                X