Burt Reynolds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burt Reynolds

Died aged 82,first saw him in "Smoky and the bandit "and "Hooper " as a teenager when he was probably at his height but "Deliverance " will be what he's most remembered for

I always had a soft spot for Reynolds, but he certainly wasn't the 'easiest' guy around.

I'd say Deliverance will be among his most 'rated', but I'd venture Smokey for most remembered. Him and Dom DeLouis were gold in Cannonball Run, too, which was utter crap but terribly fun.

Comment

Boogle Nights was a major return to form.

Comment

Sad news. Smokey and the Bandit is one of my favourite films from when I was a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
          Cannonball Run, too, which was utter crap but terribly fun.
          I bloody love Cannonball Run.

His role in Striptease is much overlooked, not surprisingly considering the rest of it is a complete trainwreck. But I'd go as far as saying that his performance in that is the best of his career. Yes, better than Boogie Nights.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
            I bloody love Cannonball Run.

His role in Striptease is much overlooked, not surprisingly considering the rest of it is a complete trainwreck. But I'd go as far as saying that his performance in that is the best of his career. Yes, better than Boogie Nights.
            If you're ever bored, check out the bloopers/ outtakes from Cannonball Run on youtube. Those guys had the time of their lives making that film. Burt, Dom, Sammy, Dean...even Jack Elam.

Comment

He was hugely famous for around a decade from circa 1974 but lack of substance (or range?) meant he was unable to sustain it.

Comment

Jack Elam is incredible in The Cannonball Run. The SMERSHPod episode on the film is a real delight.

As for Burt... RIP Bandit Darville. Smokey and the Bandit II was my favourite film growing up and even now I'll watch a few minutes of it when it appears on ITV and just have a smile. Reynolds had charm and charisma like very few.

Comment

Never liked the car crash 'n' banter films from the '70s that formed my view of him but another big name gone. Weird to think that he and Eastwood were once considered to be peers as leading men, given the later paths of their careers.

Comment

Easily one of the most effortlessly charismatic actors, especially in his prime. I would be hard pressed to come up with a better line reading then this bit from Smokey and the Bandit (at about 1min):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgmk5D4a8K8

Comment

Thing that surprised me most is he turned down the role of James Bond, after Sean Connery. I wonder if he was asked to do a British accent and didn't feel he could?

Comment

Semi-Tough and The Mean Machine always had me.

And, he looked kinda cool, generally.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                          Thing that surprised me most is he turned down the role of James Bond, after Sean Connery. I wonder if he was asked to do a British accent and didn't feel he could?
                          Apparently he felt an American couldn't play the role. From this excellent profile of him

Comment

As many of the Roger Moore Bonds were quite slapstick by nature (and let's face it, Sir Roger wasn't exactly Richard Burton) I can almost imagine that working. Maybe they'd have spun the franchise so it was about Reynolds playing Felix Liter on his similar adventures.

Comment

It pretty much begins and ends with Deliverance for me, but Reynolds undoubtedly had something.

RIP.

Comment

His best films were very good but some of his others make me wonder if he could have inspired Troy McClure in The Simpsons.

"Hi, I'm Burt Reynolds, you may remember me from such movies as "Operation C.I.A.", "Cop and a half", "Mad Dog Time", and "Without a Paddle"

Comment

Not a huge fan but great within his genre. "Deliverance" and "Boogie Nights". RIP.

Comment

Oddly, I think the only Burt Reynolds movie I've actually seen is Boogie Nights.

Comment

How have you avoided Smoke and The Bandit and Cannonball Run for all these years?

Comment

How have you avoided Smoke and The Bandit and Cannonball Run for all these years?
                                        I've never seen either of them either

Comment

Yeah, but you're basically a British intellectual living in remote Wherethefuckistan. Reed is.....Reed, man.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                            I've never seen either of them either
                                            Neither have I.

Comment

Yeah, but you're basically a British intellectual living in remote Wherethefuckistan. Reed is.....Reed, man.
                                              I'm the same age as you, so we were both kids when those films came out. Even then, as a child in a household with thick crockery and few books, I knew, I just KNEW, they were shit.

Comment

I'm not suggesting they were good. I'm suggesting they were fun. In a ten-year-old's sort of way.

Comment

Not sure. Other kids I knew talked about those, but unlike them, I was never really into movies about cars.* And when I was 10 in 1982-83, I really only liked sci-fi and fantasy. Comedies about hairy guys from the 70s were particularly off-putting, as I recall.

I recall that both of those were on TV in the 80s a lot, so I must have seen some of them along with a bits and pieces of a few other Burt Reynolds' movies, but none of them draw me in and I can't imagine they're good enough to merit a space on the long list of movies I want to see (but probably never will).

I've never seen Deliverance because I know what it's about.
                                                  Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 07-09-2018, 16:49.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X