Frankfurter und Bier - Midweek Matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frankfurter und Bier - Midweek Matchgoing

I have to be in Frankfurt for work for the next two days and luckily have found some matches that fit around my commitments :

Rot-Weiss Frankfurt v Rot-Weiß Darmstadt in the Verbandsliga Süd on Wednesday

FSV Frankfurt v St. Pauli in a friendly (being played for reasons I am unsure of as I presume their season has started) on Thursday

Anyone know anything about the two home sides/grounds?
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 04-09-2018, 18:30.

imp is a quasi-regular at FSV, who are enduring another awful season. Their ground is rather typical of lower division German clubs from major cities and play in Internazionalesque kits. Take the U-Bahn to Johanna-Tesch-Platz.

Rot Weiss are the Bockenheim district's local club and play in the Stadion am Brentanobad, which is also the home to 1 FFC Frankfurt (the women's club with several European titles). It is slightly more rustic, but still more substantial than what you are used to from the lower reaches of English non-league. S-Bahn to Rodelheim or U-Bahn to Fischtein. If you bring your trunks, you can relax in the adjacent public pool/lake complex.

I've never seen Rot Weiss play.

Comment

Slovakia vs Denmark tomorrow night, as referred to on the Nations League thread. I'm expecting a strange evening.

Comment

Germans do love a ground next to a lido.

http://adventuresintinpot.blogspot.c...-eyes.html?m=1

Comment

Some Northern Counties East League League Cup action tomorrow night with either Parkgate v Campion in the first round or Maltby Main v Glasshoughton Welfare in the second round. Such is the weird nature of this competition the winners of both ties progress to the third round.

Comment

I watched Southport lose on penalties to Marine after a 2-2 draw last night in the FA Youth Cup. I had expected Southport to win in extra time as about half the Marine team were down with cramp in the closing minutes of normal time, but it was not to be.

Tonight I've been to Warrington to watch Moore United lose 4-0 to Styal in the Cheshire League. As the score suggests it was rather one sided. Moore play at the Tetley Walker ground which has a decent sized stand. However one of the dugouts has been positioned so that it blocks much of the view for anyone I the stand. Last midweek evening game not under floodlights until April; it was getting quite dark by the end.

Comment

Thanks for the info UA, though I am sure nobody needs to see me in my bathers at a game.

Comment

I can guarantee that there will be more people at the pool than at the match.

I've now been able to determine that Rot Weiss have three points from five matches and are looking serious risks for their second consecutive relegation. With FSV having seven from seven, you have a decent shot at seeing two away wins.

Comment

Funnily enough, after seeing Hibs win at home in my first match of the season the subsequent five games I’ve attended have all been away wins.

Comment

RdG, too bad I‘m in London this week, I would have gladly been your guide. The Rot-Weiss stadium‘s been renovated since ua lived there, and is a pretty smart facility now. I‘ve reffed on the club’s adjacent fields a few times doing youth games, but get to use the very smart changing rooms. And yes, both teams are awful right now. FSV lost 7-0 to Offenbach at the weekend.

Comment

That’s a pity, imp. I knew we had a Frankfurt correspondent and it was pretty dim of me to remember it was you. Once UA pointed it out I was wondering if my copy of the book would turn up prior to the trip and I could have you sign it (though I think I ordered a signed copy anyway). I presume you’re in London for book-related shenanigans actually?

Comment

Maltby Main 3-2 Glasshoughton Welfare

Maltby have a huge cup tie on Saturday on the telly which they understandably rested several players for. Their replacements worked out alright initially as they were playing for places and raced into a three goal lead midway through the first half. Then they took their foot off the gas, started dropping deep and backing off and Welfare got a couple back. Maltby are a division higher though and their superior fitness came to the fore in the last quarter hour so there wasn't really a frantic finale.

First instance of "missed the kick off as I left the pub too late" of the season. There was also a fire somewhere locally so smoke swirled atmospherically under the lights.

Chose the right game mind - Parkgate lost 5-1.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                          That’s a pity, imp. I knew we had a Frankfurt correspondent and it was pretty dim of me to remember it was you. Once UA pointed it out I was wondering if my copy of the book would turn up prior to the trip and I could have you sign it (though I think I ordered a signed copy anyway). I presume you’re in London for book-related shenanigans actually?
                          Yes, my grand British Book Tour, consisting of the following heavyweight promotional roller-coaster:
                          Tuesday - sign books at publisher‘s.
                          Friday - Radio Lincolnshire
                          Saturday - sales stand at Sincil Bank
                          Er, that‘s it.

But it‘s also to take my eldest back to Edinburgh - she stored all her stuff in Lincolnshire while she was in China for a year. Real shame I missed you - how was Rot-Weiss last night? Or did you opt for the lido instead?

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                            Yes, my grand British Book Tour, consisting of the following heavyweight promotional roller-coaster:
                            Tuesday - sign books at publisher‘s.
                            Friday - Radio Lincolnshire
                            Saturday - sales stand at Sincil Bank
                            Er, that‘s it.
                            Why don't you do an impromptu tour of Lincolnshire seaside resorts? People'll buy anything and everything when they're on holiday, particularly from a local lad.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                              ...how was Rot-Weiss last night? Or did you opt for the lido instead?
                              It was really good, once I got there. Despite being shown the name of the stadium and a map from the airport to it the cabbie managed to take me to Eintracht’s ground (“You said the football stadium, there is only one!”), though that had a lido next to it too, so BB&F! was right.

Nice little set up at RW and the biergarten at the top of the main stand was a lovely spot to soak up the 30 degree heat with a weißbier and bratwurst prior to the match and during the first half. Despite expectations, the home side won 4-0 and looked a neat outfit.

A nice atmosphere but as it’s a multi-use stadium there wasn’t too much of Rot-Weiss’ character around the place but there was some nice memorabilia, including a load of photos commemorating Jürgen Klopp’s solitary season there as a player in 79-80 where he looks spectacularly goofy even compared to now. Nowhere to buy a badge though, which is always a disappointment.

There were three big banners behind the goal, one for the city of Frankfurt I think but one was the Chinese flag and the other seemed to be with Jewish/Israeli iconography and with Hebrew on it, any idea what those denote?

Comment

Wales v Ireland in the Nations League. Hoping to see Daryl Horgan play for the first time since I left Ireland - will be interesting to see how he has improved and hoping to see two teams not go through the motions but I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

Working...
                                X