Nike go knee-deep: NFL 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
    I know just one, a friend who graduated from VMI in '68. He did his post grad requisite year in the military after that, but Kent State finished life in the US for him.
    Maybe it was different back then - or now - but I know that in the 90s, at least - it was possible to get a bachelor's degree from VMI and not accept a commission in the military. A guy I knew in grad school did that. Wikipedia says only about half their grads do, even though everyone in the school is in ROTC. Not sure how that works. Perhaps if you just pay tuition you can do ROTC without owing them anything. Same with The Citadel.

So there are a lot of people who willingly put-up with that militarist Spartan bullshit just for the sake of it.

Comment

Dan Lyle went to VMI and never joined the military. Perhaps his football scholarship helped, as he was a late cut by the Vikings and then found rugby, becoming probably America’s best ever player.

Comment

I'll ask next time I see him. It might have been Viet Nam related, not sure.

Comment

Conan does a bit on Andy retiring mid-monologue
          https://youtu.be/lNFtVm5RTaY

Comment

THE CLEVELAND BROWNS HAVE WON A GAME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpwn...feature=onebox

Comment

Condolences to Flynnie

Comment

We are in mourning for Handsome Jimmy.

Comment

This is just depressing. The conservative mind, or lack thereof, as applied to youth-development.

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_...roots-politics

Counterpoint!

“We shouldn’t let children play football because we are damaging their brains and robbing them of their humanity.” - Benett Omalu

https://sojo.net/magazine/septemberoctober-2018/concussion-faith-football-God-Benett-Omalu
                  Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 29-09-2018, 18:38.

Comment

From a skill development perspective, I can see tackle football being akin to kids playing on full-sized football pitches in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                      From a skill development perspective, I can see tackle football being akin to kids playing on full-sized football pitches in the UK.
                      Exactly. It doesn’t do much for their development, especially if there’s a lot of emphasis on winning - which there usually is. The kids who happen to be naturally big and or fast completely dominate. To some extent, that’s even true in a lot of high school football. At the higher levels - college and the NFL - success requires a lot of technique and understanding of nuance and that’s hard to teach when kids are just trying not to get yelled at by the coach or afraid to make a mistake that will cost the team.

Comment

Break up the Browns!

Comment

I am definitely on the Brown (Mayfield) bandwagon. Make the Ravens & Steelers sweat. The Bengals will do their usual late season fade.

Comment

Anyone else watching the game from Wembley?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                              Anyone else watching the game from Wembley?
                              I watched a bit but it was obvious the Raiders were, as usual, completely unprepared so I switched to Red Zone. Which turned out to be a good move as we had our most-hair-on-fire spell of early game endings all year.

Comment

I watched it. Even for a Seahawks fan it was pretty dull. Sloppy play from both teams and utterly one-sided. The attendance was impressive though. I figured the novelty would have worn off by now.

Comment

I've blagged my annual tickets to a London game and am taking my son to Titans v Chargers for his first Gridiron game on Sunday. I've not really switched on to the NFL so far this season, what am I to expect?

Comment

Two mediocre teams in a league increasingly characterised by mediocrity.

The Chargers are 4-2, the Titans 3-3.

Comment

The two things to know are that the Chargers are rotten and must go bankrupt, and that almost none of their players have played a "home" game with that many fans before.

Comment

Yeah, I think our support will go to Tennessee (as much as it matters) given the general silliness of the Chargers' current situation ( the Titans having got all of their silliness done twenty years or so ago).

Comment

Both teams left in frankly disgraceful situations. The Chargers' were probably worse by a hair, just because it was so abundantly obvious that LA would never support them (and I think even in the new stadium their ceiling is as the Nets of the NFL) while Tennessee would happily take to pro football. Although the Titans had a very awkward year in Memphis, which hates Nashville and had no interest in being the tideover.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                            I watched it. Even for a Seahawks fan it was pretty dull. Sloppy play from both teams and utterly one-sided. The attendance was impressive though. I figured the novelty would have worn off by now.
                                            Literally the only Wembley game not to sell out or come darn close to it was a Bears-Bucs matchup in 2011, the year of the lockout, meaning they lost a ton of promotion time for a pretty uninspiring matchup. And they still got 76,000, only 8,000 short of a sellout.

The NFL has done a pretty remarkable job of generating interest, it must be said. I've been to three games (the two 49er visits, plus the first Patriots visit) and most people are definitely into the game. The quietness is mainly because it's a cornucopia of supporters, the first 49er visit was probably the best atmosphere I've seen for the home team as the Niners are very popular here*.

* The Pats are the most popular team according to a poll, but a huge demographic of fans are from the 1980s days on Channel 4 and are divided between the good 80s teams like the Dolphins, Bears, Niners, Raiders, Washington, and the Giants (although the least of those six). Broncos too. The early 1990s were kind of a rough time for coverage, so the Cowboys are actually not very popular here. It's great.

Comment

I don’t understand how people accustomed to seeing 90 minutes of action over about two hours can tolerate a game with less than 60 minutes of action over 3.5 hours. I can barely tolerate it anymore and I grew up with it.

Comment

The Wembley games are kind of a different experience to attending an NFL game in the US. They do a lot more stuff to keep you entertained during commercial breaks.

Comment

How bout them Pats eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                                                    Literally the only Wembley game not to sell out or come darn close to it was a Bears-Bucs matchup in 2011, the year of the lockout, meaning they lost a ton of promotion time for a pretty uninspiring matchup. And they still got 76,000, only 8,000 short of a sellout.

The NFL has done a pretty remarkable job of generating interest, it must be said. I've been to three games (the two 49er visits, plus the first Patriots visit) and most people are definitely into the game. The quietness is mainly because it's a cornucopia of supporters, the first 49er visit was probably the best atmosphere I've seen for the home team as the Niners are very popular here*.
                                                    I didn't notice the quietness too much. It was noticeable that the field was in very poor condition though. Turf was coming out in chunks, some players had so much stuck to their grill that after a tackle they could barely see. It certainly didn't help the game, and probably added to the number of penalties. For example Doug Baldwin caught a sideline pass, turned rapidly up-field, slipped and fell. He was so pissed off he spiked the ball and got a delay of game call.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X