Warren Beatty may not have done this after all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warren Beatty may not have done this after all

... according to the European Cup Trivia Thread.

People who have presented trophies to final winners. Apart from the usual royals and committee suits.

In Britain, football-loving Prime Ministers have included Winston Churchill (FA Cup final, 1952) and Margaret Thatcher (Scottish Cup final, 1988). For a real celeb, you had to win the 1985 Freight Rover Trophy, handed over by Elton John to Wigan Athletic.

Plenty of ex-pros have presented minor cups, but possibly the most obscure medal distributor was Ms Tracey Bateman. Fans of one club might remember her, score double points if you aren't one, but can still recall the occasion.

Who else has your skipper had to wipe his/her hands on the shirt for?

Elton has form here. He also presented the Sherpa Van Trophy to the Wanderers in 1989.

Comment

Did Tracey Bateman work for Rumbelows? I seem to recall they had an employee handing out the prizes when they sponsored the League Cup.

Comment

Yes Tracey Bateman was employee of the year or something at Rumbelows and as a reward got to give the trophy to Nigel Pearson when we won it in 91. (To me that would be reward enough, but I'm rather hoping for her sake that she got something else out of it too)

Comment

Thatcher handing over the Scottish Cup was a masterful piece of trolling by the Tories. It's the only time Celtic fans have booed a trophy presentation featuring their own team.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
            Elton has form here. He also presented the Sherpa Van Trophy to the Wanderers in 1989.
            Saint and Greavsie presented it to my uncle's Bristol City team in 1986.

Mike Naylor of Endsleigh Insurance presented Chesterfield with their trophy after they beat Bury in the 1995 Third Division play-off final. As fate would have it, we were drawn against them in the first round of the League Cup the following season and my dad and I went to the first leg at Saltergate, where we learned from the programme that Mr Naylor had died in a car crash during the summer.

Comment

Keep it light, Giggler

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
                Saint and Greavsie presented it to my uncle's Bristol City team in 1986.

Mike Naylor of Endsleigh Insurance presented Chesterfield with their trophy after they beat Bury in the 1995 Third Division play-off final. As fate would have it, we were drawn against them in the first round of the League Cup the following season and my dad and I went to the first leg at Saltergate, where we learned from the programme that Mr Naylor had died in a car crash during the summer.
                POTY.

Obvious comiserations to the Naylor family and all that, but there is some finally crafted detail in there.

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
                  Thatcher handing over the Scottish Cup was a masterful piece of trolling by the Tories. It's the only time Celtic fans have booed a trophy presentation featuring their own team.
                  The prematch chanting from both ends of “Thatcher, Thatcher get tae fuck” was extremely loud. Trades unionists handed out red cards to be displayed.

Comment

Working...
                  X