Connect 4 x 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connect 4 x 4

1. Ipswich, Leicester, Sheffield United, WBA - Only English clubs to have won the top-flight only once - Sean of the Shed.

2. Eintracht Frankfurt, Fiorentina, Partizan Belgrade, Reims - First four teams to lose European Cup finals to Real Madrid, without subsequently winning the competition - ursus arctos

3. Athletic Bilbao, Bohemian FC, Celtic, Internazionale - European top-flight clubs that have never been relegated - 3 Colours Red/Elguapo

4. BFC Germania, Genoa, Le Havre, Recreativo de Huelva - Oldest clubs in their countries - Ad Hoc.
    Last edited by Diable Rouge; 01-09-2018, 17:19.

Bohemian fc or Bohemians Prague?

Comment

I think I know the answer to Number 4, and possibly 2, but stumped on the others.

Comment

I don't even know what we're supposed to be doing

Comment

Originally posted by Me Old Flower View Post
          I think I know the answer to Number 4, and possibly 2, but stumped on the others.
          If it helps, the answer to 3 is probably the easiest to work out.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
            I don't even know what we're supposed to be doing
            What connects the four clubs in each case.

Comment

Number 4 could be added to with Sheffield FC?

Comment

All the teams in Q1 have won the top division title only once.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                  Number 4 could be added to with Sheffield FC?
                  Indeed, but that would have given it away immediately!

Comment

2 are the first four losers of European Cup Finals who have yet to subsequently win the competition

Comment

All four teams for number 2 lost a European Cup final to Real Madrid. Not sure if there is something more specific such as losing their only European Cup final (or finals in the case of Reims) to Madrid - thus excluding Milan and doing so in the pre-Champions League era - thus excluding Leverkusen.

Comment

This demonstrates how DRs mind works differently from those of the rest of us, as we are failing on the one he finds easiest.

Comment

3 - Only teams in their countries to have competed in every season of their league's top flight? As opposed to not having been relegated (I don't know if Real Madrid and Barcelona were in the top division when it started).

Comment

That was my thought but St Patrick's athletic have played every season in the league of Ireland top flight

Comment

As you say, there will be more than those four to whom it applies, but none of them have ever been relegated (presumably none of the Dutch Big Three have either).

Comment

Athletic Club, Barcelona and Real Madrid were all original members of la Liga and have never been relegated.

Internazionale are the only club with the same distinction in Serie A.

Following HSV's relegation, there is no such club in the Bundesliga.

Ligue 1 and its predecessors haven't had such a club for some time. OM have the most appearances (68) in a competition that is currently in its 81st season.

Comment

Haven't Nottingham Forest only won the league once?

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Working...
                                    X