Scenes in movies or TV that have been rendered awkward by subsequent events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scenes in movies or TV that have been rendered awkward by subsequent events

I nominate the Lance Armstrong scene at the end of Dodgeball where he inspires the hero to never give up.

In terms of TV, the Friends episode where Brad Pitt comes to dinner and disparages Rachel. The joke at the time was he and Jennifer Aniston were a couple. But given the acrimonious headlines when they split not long after, the hate seems a lot more realistic.

Every single second of American Beauty

Comment

Damn it, Berbaslug. That's a thread-stopper.

Comment

That's such a versatile movie. It's one particular type of movie when you watch it and you're the same age as the daughter. Then it's another different movie when you're closer in age to Kevin Spacey, and now it's a third type of movie entirely.

Comment

There's one of those 80s "magic of computer animation" VHS tapes that someone's uploaded on YouTube. There's a sequence that shows how the Quantel Paintbox could be used to manipulate photos. This is demonstrated by digitally airbrushing out the twin towers of the World Trade Center.

Even I'm not gonna make a joke here.

Comment

Not sure that it's 'awkward' as such, but the portrayal of the POTUS, Greg Stillson, by Martin Sheen in The Dead Zone.

The characterisation is basically 'Trump' in all but name.

Comment

There's a moment in "Help!" when one of the comic villains points a gun at John Lennon and attempts to fire it.
              It jams and Lennon contemptuously takes it off him.
              If only eh?

Comment

Christopher Reeve playing a wheelchair-bound character with a spinal injury in Above Suspicion, a film that was released only a week before the catastrophic horse-riding accident that broke his neck and left him quadriplegic for the rest of his days.

Comment

Half of the BBC's output of the 1970s. Someone had to mention it.

Comment

Leaving aside the nonce factor, any charity specials that enabled celebs to appear generous despite them being cunts. Live Aid included.

Comment

"The Nonce Factor". Gordon Burns' career took a downward turn when Krypton was taken off the air.

Comment

He still voices "The Chain" for Radcliffe and Maconie :-)

But I think his main gig was always local news anchor anyway (poor man's Tony Wilson).

Comment

"We want you, if you can, to sit down and watch an entire episode of The Krypton Factor."

"You're out of your mind."

Comment

The last 25 minutes of The Living Daylights with the Mujahideen in Afghanistan shown as a great bunch of lads now seems a bit grating, even then they had to get Art Malik to Oxbridge it up a bit though

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                              He still voices "The Chain" for Radcliffe and Maconie :-)

But I think his main gig was always local news anchor anyway (poor man's Tony Wilson).
                              I worked with him at NWT. Always got his round in on works nights out. He's alright by me.

Comment

Yeah, Satchmo, you leave Gordon Burns alone.

Originally posted by gavc23 View Post
                                The last 25 minutes of The Living Daylights with the Mujahideen in Afghanistan shown as a great bunch of lads now seems a bit grating, even then they had to get Art Malik to Oxbridge it up a bit though
                                And the dedication at the end of Rambo III.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                                  "We want you, if you can, to sit down and watch an entire episode of The Krypton Factor."

"You're out of your mind."
                                  Nowt wrong with The Krypton Factor... if you don't count the 1995 series (what the fuck was that final round about?) or the late 2000s reboot, that is. Especially that Art Of Noise theme tune.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                    Nowt wrong with The Krypton Factor... if you don't count the 1995 series (what the fuck was that final round about?) or the late 2000s reboot, that is. Especially that Art Of Noise theme tune.
                                    I got an Art of Noise best of in about 2010. As soon as I heard the theme, I could place exactly where in it the contestants were introduced and the intonation of the voiceover for each contestant.

Comment

OJ Simpson in the Naked Gun films.

Comment

Working...
                                      X