No announcement yet.

78s anyone...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May not have had anything to do with 78s Amor but interesting and quite touching in a way. I had an aunt like that.

Comment

The intro to Das Rheingold does sound good at multiple speeds.

I had one 78, a musical birthday card I got for probably my 8th or 9th birthday (my first record player was a Dansette). I think the song was 'Postman's Knock'.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
        The intro to Das Rheingold does sound good at multiple speeds.
        Uh huh. I can imagine the possibilities involving that long sustained chord.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
          I would imagine that the pressures to conform were also much stronger at that time.

My mother went out of her way to dissuade me from giving a crap about social conventions as much as possible.
          Good for her. My mother, though in many ways it went against her instincts, did the opposite. Don't stand out, toe the line, keep your head down. My sister, naturally, had a harder time with her than I did. Fortunately she possesses a native stubbornness that served her well through many battles.

Comment

What’s the difference between a 78, an LP and a 12 inch?

Comment

An LP and a 12" are the same, an album with approx 12 tracks in total. A 78 has the same amount of music as a 45 (single), but is larger because it spins faster. I don't have one in front of me but they were about 10" in diameter. There were also 10" inch albums for awhile in the fifties and, maybe early sixties. Made famous by Bullmoose Jackson Jackson singing about how much his "baby loves his big ten inch (record of her favourite songs.)"

Comment

You saved me from writing about EPs nowhere near as well, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                  With that mechanism whereby you'd clip the rcord at the top of the metal spindle, click the lever and it would descend and the arm would move across into place.

This was great for playing a batch of singles one after the other, without having to touch the record player...

Comment

There was a period also in the early 80's where the 10'' single was a thing. God knows why but Souvenir by OMD was one example.

Comment

Wedding Present Ukrainian EP another 10” gimmick of the later 80s.
                      I’ve acquired quite a lot of 78s in job lots at auctions. Apart from some nice sleeves and labels I’ve discovered they’re practically worthless (for selling on, I mean) apart from old blues and rude songs ( the other meaning of blue)
                      And very fragile- lots are broken in the boxes. So even more worthless.

Comment

I saw a load of 8'' shellacs from the late 20's/early30's in a junk shop (and that's being kind) a few weeks back. All of them on the Edison Bell Radio label. Discogs shows that they're rare, but regrettably people who want them are even rarer. I reasoned that somebody in the know had already picked over the records and taken anything of value so left 'em. I have no means of playing them anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
                          There was a period also in the early 80's where the 10'' single was a thing. God knows why but Souvenir by OMD was one example.
                          I have at least three J&MC singles on 10-inch. Later-eighties, of course.

Comment

I feel a bit let down. The copy of Souvenir I bought when it was charting is just a 7".

Comment

Sorry, I accidentally deleted my post from above so I'm reposting it.

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                              What’s the difference between a 78, an LP and a 12 inch?
                              78s are essentially your old gramophone records and were the dominant format for most of the first half of the last century. They were usually 10’’ in size and the amount of music that could fit on one side was roughly equal to that of a 7’’ single. The invention of the LP (on a 12’’ record) by Columbia Records and the 45rpm, 7’’ single by RCA Victor in the 1940’s rendered it a soon to be obsolete format.

The 12’’ single was born out of Disco and the ‘’Extended Mix’’. DJ’s in clubs wanted longer tracks to keep the momentum going on the floor and were frustrated with the limitations of what you could fit on a traditional 7’’ single. So, in 1974/75 somebody had the bright idea of pressing a single song onto a 12’’ disc, increasing the length of the mix, and because significantly less music was involved than the usual 20-25 minutes that was on an LP the engineers had plenty of spare disc to play with. This allowed them to widen the groves which greatly increased the dynamic range and sound quality of the recording. The 12’’ single was a revelation when played back through a good sound system in a nightclub,

Comment

Sorry, I accidentally deleted my post from above so I'm reposting it.

78s are essentially your old gramophone records and were the dominant format for most of the first half of the last century. They were usually 10’’ in size and the amount of music that could fit on one side was roughly equal to that of a 7’’ single. The invention of the LP (on a 12’’ record) by Columbia Records and the 45rpm, 7’’ single by RCA Victor in the 1940’s rendered it a soon to be obsolete format.

The 12’’ single was born out of Disco and the ‘’Extended Mix’’. DJ’s in clubs wanted longer tracks to keep the momentum going on the floor and were frustrated with the limitations of what you could fit on a traditional 7’’ single. So, in 1974/75 somebody had the bright idea of pressing a single song onto a 12’’ disc, increasing the length of the mix, and because significantly less music was involved than the usual 20-25 minutes that was on an LP the engineers had plenty of spare disc to play with. This allowed them to widen the groves which greatly increased the dynamic range and sound quality of the recording. The 12’’ single was a revelation when played back through a good sound system in a nightclub,
                                That explains it. I knew the 12” was usually associated with long dance tracks but didn’t know how it was different than just an continuous album. I didn’t know it was possible to make the grooves wider.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                  I have at least three J&MC singles on 10-inch. Later-eighties, of course.
                                  I've got 10-inch singles by Helen Love and Gay Dad, which must take us close to the turn of the century.

Comment

I have 10 inchers by Flowers in the Dustbin (2015, I think), and The Wolfmen (2008).

Comment

This thread had given me a bit of a Public Enemy earworm.

Suckers to the side I know you hate/
                                      My 78s

Comment

Ha ha!
                                        As indicated above there's no way my 78-0s are bulletproof, however

Comment

Working...
                                        X