Got lost somewhere along the way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got lost somewhere along the way

Bands with a song that exemplifies everything you need to know about them, which somehow was never on an album or A-side of a 45.

Velvet Underground, not one but two “I Can’t Stand It” and “Foggy Notion”
    Suede “My Insatiable One”

More?

"Lonesome Tonight" by New Order

Comment

1963 by New Order, as well.
      I always liked "Pictures Of Bernadette" by Talk Talk, although I believe the band didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
        Velvet Underground, not one but two “I Can’t Stand It” and “Foggy Notion”
        They're representative of post-Cale VU; neither would have been out of place on Transformer, for example.* But they don't really encapsulate the band.

* Actually there's a rather anodyne version of I Can't Stand It on Reed's solo debut.

Comment

"I'm Not Always So Stupid" by The Wedding Present encapsulates pretty much all of their 80s sound in one three minute b-side and maybe "Don't Talk, Just Kiss" or "Gone" for the early 90s.

I'd suggest one of either "Mersey Paradise", "Going Down" or "Standing Here" by the Stone Roses would do the trick too.

Comment

For me, both those Velvet Underground tracks are really Sterling Morrison tracks (listen to the rhythm guitar!)

Comment

Louise Louise - Orange Juice

Comment

Also, Rubber Ring pretty much nails it for The Smiths.

Comment

Half A Person or Jeane would be my Smiths picks. Kitchen sink indie personified. For The Beatles, Rain nails their transformation in 1966 to no longer being a pop band, but they had a stack of great B-sides that never made it to the albums and all of them typify something about the band that wasn't on the album or A-side.

Comment

Yeah, I thought about Half a Person - its got that combination of misery and tongue-in-cheek.

Comment

Echoing Greenlander, "Where Angels Play" by Stone Roses.

Comment

Working...
                      X