Attracting visitors to a trade exhibition stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attracting visitors to a trade exhibition stand

A bit niche, this, so I apologise in advance.

I've been tasked with putting together a stand for our company at an exhibition in October. We're market leaders at what we do and we have a very good reputation within the industry, but my manager doesn't want us to rest on our laurels and is insistent we need something to draw people to us.

The example he cited to me was a company who made sure that each delegate was given a key when they registered. Only two keys given out would open the box that sat on the company's stand, but everyone wanted to see if theirs was one of them and they won a prize.

What kind of gimmicks work at this kind of event? I don't think a giveaway of a stress ball with our company logo on it and an A4 sheet explaining the work we do is really going to cut the mustard and get them flocking to us.

Regrettably, the usual approach is to hire a couple of models in tight t-shirts.

Comment

Comment

Balloons, and those hats that are a flat piece of paper but then spiral out and make a cap. Also those furry balls with goggly eyes and sticky feet with a long label that comes out of them advertising your company. It worked in the 1980s, it can work now.

Comment

If you're market leaders with a good reputation, you don't want to go the 'trinkets and trash' route (stress ball, etc).

If you're giving out a premium, it has to be a) good quality and b) add value. Spend the money on a seriously nice Moleskin notebook knockoff from China. This will give people a reason to stop by, and it'll get used for more than one day.

Second thing, give away something intangible that's of value: advice, expertise, a position, a thought-leadership paper. Have it on a thumb-drive and hand them out. Establish your position as an expert and a confident one.

Have a clear sign that has your proposition. Plus, a sign that asks them a question or prompts a discussion ie "What's your biggest internet security concern?" or "What tax challenges do you face most often?" etc. That way, when the mark walks up to the booth, they're ready with their part of the discussion / opinion.

Finally, whoever mans the booth can't be a putz. They have to be prepared, confident, and dedicated to talking knowledgeably. They can't be on their phone, or sitting down, or doing actual work on a laptop. They're there to talk and schmooze and sell expertise.

Comment

When I was staff writer on the stunningly captivating trade magazine Airports International, I had to man the stand at three separate airport equipment shows. For most of the week, most people ignored us except to grab a free copy of the magazine. But on one single night at all three events, we were suddenly besieged with guests. I think, though I may be wrong, that it might have had something to do with the free champagne.

Comment

I seem to remember some blockchain company did a giveaway for a Lamborghini at a conference which was mysteriously won by one of their investors or someone within the firm.

That will get you some crowds and attention.

Comment

In the industry I cover, it's usually raffling off whatever's trendy that year (scooters, iPads, Lego Millennium Falcons...). Probably depends how driven by acquisition of material goods your industry is.

Comment

My recollection is that the Lambo raffle was on a "yacht".

The Wolf of Wall Street appears to be the core text for CryptoBros.

Comment

WOM's advice is excellent.

Though as GY notes, what works as a premium is very industry and audience-specific.

Comment

Obviously you want a treibeis themed minigolf. Putter, ball and industry-themed hole. Punters who make the hole-in-one get to to pay you 50 Eurocents. Punters who fail get shouted at.

Comment

Does Treibeis contract out his services? What better than the authentic experience?

Comment

He contracts out toilet cleaning for 50 eurocents a time.

Comment

My KLM plane is sitting on the tarmac of London City airport, bringing me on the way back from the World's biggest data mining conference. Microsoft had won the trade fair bit. They had hired a charicature artist. So in the first coffee break on day one, a few people get a charicature made, handed to them in a lanyard with badge to wear. Other conference visitors ask where they got those charicatures. So now, random visitors send other random visitors to the Microsoft stand.

By lunch on day one, the topic had gone viral through the conference. By day three, the waiting line was several hours long. Absurdly effective, this was.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                              He contracts out toilet cleaning for 50 eurocents a time.
                              €12.50 an hour, plus food and drink, I'll have you know. When it comes to my staff, I walk the walk. That's why they (say that they) love me.

Comment

Cheers everyone, some good stuff to go on here.

Comment

Free coffee. The stands at the big medical expos I go to that have baristas making coffees on big machines always have people on them because a) between breaks it's the only place to get coffee, and b) it's better coffee.

Also chairs. Places to sit are often at a premium. Some comfy chairs and maybe a table to put your coffee on.

The comment about engaged staff is really spot on as well.

Comment

Working...
                                  X