Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soft Cell's new song.

Guardian link.

Not bad - the backing vocals and woa-oa-ohs give it a slightly Italo feel.

Comment

I've been umming and ahhing about whether to go to Soft Cell's farewell show on Sunday, having been a big fan of them and Marc way back when. I had convinced myself that as it was at the O2 and £80+ for a half decent ticket I could give it a miss. Having seen them on Later last night, I'm getting a strong urge to be there.

Should I;
      • Stick with the original decision?
      • Go for it?
      • Go to one of the live cinema relays?

The latter option would be about £15 and offer a bit of the community feeling, assuming I wasn't the only person there.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
        I've been umming and ahhing about whether to go to Soft Cell's farewell show on Sunday, having been a big fan of them and Marc way back when. I had convinced myself that as it was at the O2 and £80+ for a half decent ticket I could give it a miss. Having seen them on Later last night, I'm getting a strong urge to be there.

Should I;
        • Stick with the original decision?
        • Go for it?
        • Go to one of the live cinema relays?

The latter option would be about £15 and offer a bit of the community feeling, assuming I wasn't the only person there.
        Fuck it they're never going to play again together,go for it!

Comment

I'd go to the cinema.

Comment

You're right. I'm going in!

Comment

I did consider it. But Marc's voice isn't what it was. I think I'll remember him at his pomp. His gig at the Astoria in 1987 (found the setlist online, isn't the internet a wonderful thing?) remains in my top three all-time favourite concerts. Even typing this, I feel I want to go to take in one of the theatre performances, but worry it will be a little disappointing.

On the other hand the love for him in the room will surely overpower that?

Amazing that, in these days where every sporting event is transmitted live on some channel or other, so few musical events are. It ought to be live on BBC Four, yes?

Comment

TV would have more reach and with the home kit a lot of people have these days wouldn't necessarily be that underwhelming compared to the cinema. I did check out one of the screenings at Kings Cross, before deciding to go to the show, and only about six seats had been sold. This may of course be due to the recent gentrification of what might once have been seen as solid SC territory.

Comment

Go. Just Go. Who cares if they're old and a bit crap, it's not really about the music.

Comment

I'm with Berbs. Just go. I went to see Elvis Presley. Not long before he died. Tragic but it was Elvis. Not comparing but go.

Comment

Thanks all - getting quite excited now, so going was the right decision. Yesterday I went on an 8 mile walk wearing Vans surf shoes, which one ankle is violently protesting about today, so Marc and Dave won't be the most knackered old gits in the building anyway.

Comment

That was brilliant. The best part of twenty thousand, largely respectable looking, people singing along to Sex Dwarf, Numbers and the rest was a startling reminder of how subversive SC were. Marc was completely undaunted by the size of the venue and the huge screens and crisp B&W video lent a heroic quality to both of the duo. If it is goodbye, a stunning way to go out. If they decide to carry on in some way, I'd gladly be back next week and on.

Comment

Working...
                        X